9 replies to this topic

#1 musicianwages

musicianwages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hi all -

I'm customizing the PlatformBase child theme for our site and running into trouble. Here are the symptoms:

• When I add hooks to the functions.php file, the changes register and everything works great.
  • When I make changes to the style.php file, the changes register and everything works great
  • When I set up and edit templates or sections, none of the changes register

Three problems come to mind:

• Perhaps PlatformBase isn't activated - checked that and it is. Anyway, the hooks and css styles are working, so that can't be it.
  • Perhaps I'm putting the templates in the wrong folder path. But that can't be it - see the screenshot below.
  • There could be a permissions issue on the path to the templates, but I reset the folder permissions recursively (for now) to 777 and it's still not working.

Does anyone have any ideas? Of course I'd rather not hack the section and template files in PlatformPro.

Posted Image

edit: typo

#2 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Hi David - In that second dialog window, it shows section.sharebar.php as being "0 B". Did you make sure there's content in the new file? I know you copied it, but is it possible it didn't copy correctly?

#3 musicianwages

musicianwages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi Kate - thanks, yes I see that. I think I had briefly deleted everything in the file to see if it disappeared on the site (it didn't). That file (platformbase/sections/wp/section.sharebar.php) is back to full at 3.7 kb.

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Try putting it in the root of the PlatformBase directory.

#5 juliansander

juliansander

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

hi, i am new here so i hope this is not yet answered. i found a hash in the file /platformpro/config/config.templates.php which contains the settings for the pages. i have not tried, but it may need to be implemented in the child theme and then adjusted to add the new templates for your templates to become visible.

#6 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:32 AM

Julian, first karma point. Thanks, Bryan

#7 musicianwages

musicianwages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:51 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. I have no doubt that Julian is right, but I'm afraid the hash implementation and template adjustment is over my head. Could someone break that down in layman's terms for me? cmunns, I placed the file in the root directory and had no luck. Thanks! Dave

#8 musicianwages

musicianwages

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

Julian, do you mean I should rename the templates in the child theme and make the child-theme version of the config file include the new template names? Actually...I bet that's not it, but that's all I can think of?

#9 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hi David - Did you try @cmunn's suggestion?

#10 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

David, this is actually going to be handled better/ announced in the 1.3 release so that you can do it more easily although I think it works this way now. rename your section files to template.sectionid.php instead of section.sectionid.php and put it in the root of the Base theme. Then get rid of everything except what's inside of the section_template () function and modify as you wish