Photo
- - - - -

Unable to Hide Catagories in Sidebar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 biggeek

biggeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

I've been searching and working with Wordpress documentation to figure out how to hide the "Tags" Or change the name of the "Links" catagory in the sidebar catagories. I have been unable to figure out where in the admin interface to go to do this. Quite a bit of the documentation I've read says it should be there. I tried uploading a "sidebar widget" and it locked me out of the widgets interface to edit the sidebar. Documentation for the "sidebar widget" did say it wasn't needed in Wordpress 2.2 or higher because the functionality is already there. Which I couldn't find, after I removed it from the plugins directory I did get back into the widgets menu! I am using the demo version of station 1.2.2 do I need to upgrade to get the functionality? Am I just to stupid to find it? Or is the only way to be able to accomplish what I'm trying to do is to edit the php code? Or is there a different widget that I need to be able to do this? Thanks for the help, been at it a few houst now, and decided to ask!

#2 carporado

carporado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:05 AM

Not sure if you already checked this or if this will even solve your problem, but try going to the sidebar options menu and check the box marked "Hide Sidebars When Empty (no widgets). I had a similar situation and this was the solution I found.

#3 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:45 AM

On the free version of Station you will need to edit the '_posts.php' and 'sidebar.php' file to make many of these changes. In the code look for `<?php _e('links');?> for the code related to the links widget.. for example.

#4 biggeek

biggeek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:28 AM

Thanks, what I ended up doing was dragging a heading...Meta over to the main_sidebar menu in the widgets page. when I hit view site that was the only heading and links in the side bar. So I went back in and added dragged each of the link headings over, including PHP code widget, and all my headings and links to pages were back in the sidebar menu in order. As far as editing code goes, I'm still trying to figure out how the interface works, I'm a ways from editing code, unless someone makes it easy and says edit the style.css. Find this line %*&%$% insert this code under it, or next to it or what ever, and then they give me the lines of code, and tell me what function they will add. In time I will learn to write it, but like I said I'm a ways away from that. Thanks for the help though. You can close this if you want. Or if anyone knows a good online resource that will help me learn and write code, just point me there. Thanks