14 replies to this topic

#1 djb21au

djb21au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Bryan, This makes perfect sense, but what I (and I'm sure others) really need are the tools to help us customise. Specifically, I need a some sort of 'map' of how the various sections of the theme fit together so that I can find the hook I am looking for when I want to add, remove or customise it. The hints under 'Advanced Setup' are a start, but they aren't complete and I have spent a long time sifting through the various template files looking for hooks and, often, not finding them. (For instance - and I don't expect you to solve this here as I know this is not a support forum - I wan't to move the pagination section on my page but do you think I can find it in the templates?) At the moment the documentation focuses on the nice UI and drag-and-drop features, but we need more on how things are working behind the scenes. Please.

#2 darthninja

darthninja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

@Bryan: I second @David's request.

#3 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

We're definitely listening, and these are valid points. New team members have been added and there are new docs on the way, and things naturally progress. In the meantime ask anything that you're unsure about here in the forum. Our main goal with support is to educate. The first lesson is that PageLines is a tool and you are the creative one. If you like how everything can be put together by default, you're set. If you have creative ideas and advanced customizations there will always be a web design process. We can help, but outside of a hiring scenario we can't build every customers website for them. There can't be a setting for every unimagined desire to come. Customization is key and we'll help everyone learn. This is the community part of PageLines; collectively helping everyone with their goals and to build better websites. Thanks, Bryan

#4 malcfinch

malcfinch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

Why not create a KNOWLEDGE BASE that only admin can post to that shows exactly how to do things, that have been asked about. The forums are so over-run with half answered questions (eg.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

). You are creating more work for yourselves by not listing resolved answers in one place. You are just fighting fires. cheers malc

#5 psaltriparus

psaltriparus

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

To add to what malcom posted, why not set up a user contributed "how-to" repository, separate from the forums? Not a place for questions, just tutorials and code-snippets. That way when someone figures out how to do something really cool using hooks or filters or custom CSS, they can share it with the rest of us, and keep us from having to dig through the forums or add new threads to it.

#6 aolivoper

aolivoper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

i cannot be more agree with Dave and Malcolm. It's a bit anoying sometimes trying to find something REALLY useful in the forum. I mean and don't take me wrong, i love the work you guys do, i really do, it's just that for people like me, who don't have the expertice to make great things coding, everyonce in a while try to acomplish something and just can't because of the HUGE ammount of half-answered questions on the forum.

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

Im sorry you find it annoying. There are over 50,000 posts in the forum, and bbpress has limited features. There are post tags available, when you make a post, tag it with as many tags as you like, these can be used for later searches. We also have a wiki setup at docs.pagelines.com its early days there but you can sign up and help out if you like!

#8 psaltriparus

psaltriparus

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

There are over 50,000 posts in the forum, and bbpress has limited features.

Now there's an understatement. bbpress is no way to run a professional support forum. For something of this scale, you need real forum software, not wordpress hack. vBulletin is good (but expensive), and phpBB and SimpleMachines forums are both outstanding and FREE. Switching to any of these would go a long, long way towards improving these forums and the frustrations they've led to.

#9 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

Dave, unfortunately we have to think about integration with the different user databases.

#10 JohnMagic

JohnMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Just my 2 cents on support forum: Justin Tadlock runs his Themehybrid support forum on BBpress with 50.000 posts and it works like a charm. Best support forum in the WP community by far. Its not about the backend and limitations of Bbpress Its all about planning, presence and structure, and Justin is a one-man-band as well...

#11 malcfinch

malcfinch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

So back to my original point, why not create a new section in the forum that only admin can post to, which shows only resolved and useful discussions. It would be really easy to implement.

#12 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Because bbpress does not have an option to assign forums to groups, in fact there are not even groups! We are looking at vbulletin at the moment.

#13 malcfinch

malcfinch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

Taking too long!! this forum is terrible, it's so difficult to find anything please switch to something better asap.

#14 Michael_J

Michael_J

• Members

• 215 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

What I find frustrating is the lack of instructions. For example, there are no instructions inside the ReadMe file for how to upgrade Platform Base. There are instructions inside the ReadMe file for how to upradde Platform Pro, but they make no sense: - Rename the new theme (for example "PlatformProNew") and upload to themes folder - Visit WP Admin and switch theme to new version How is it possible to switch to the new version, when you are supposed to be using Platform Base as your selected version? Don't worry, I made separate posts about these two issues. They are just examples.