Photo

Multiple Blogs on one site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 rreed

rreed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Sorry I sent an email about this when I should have posted it to the forum first. I use whitehousepro and my site is www.oldtownlawyer.com. I want to be able to make posts appear in either my blog or in the "local news" section of my website. Is there a way to essentially maintain two blogs? If not, is there a format you suggest for making my "local news" section appear like a blog even if it will be somewhat more difficult to manage?

#2 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:47 AM

:) "I would say categories would be the best way to do this. Create two different categories under 'Posts > Categories', probably something like "Legal" and "Local News". Now whenever you create new posts, just assign them to the categories. Make sure you have the "Page Links To" plugin installed and activated. Create a dummy page titled "Local News" (you can use the one you're using right now actually). And set the Page Links To url field in the Page Editor to point to category page (i.e. http://oldtownlawyer...ory/local-news/). You should be all set up now to have two separate blog pages."

#3 rreed

rreed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks, that worked like a charm!

If someone else does this you may want to remember to change the slug so that it doesn't create a confusing url. Otherwise my blog page would have been under www.oldtownlawyer.com/category/law. I used a "law" category, but made the slug "blog" so that the url would closely match the content of the page (www.oldtownlawyer.com/category/blog). You could always just make the category "blog" but I feel like it would be weird since to categorize a blog post as a blog is redundant.

Thanks!

#4 dtraub

dtraub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Why I didn't check the support forum here first I don't know. I've been wanting to do exactly this and have tried several other plugins that didn't quite do it right. This works great. The only tweak I'd like to make would be the ability to change the template that is used for the page. I'd like a page that is the posts from a single category. (Ideally including subcategories if possible), but I'd like to use the Highlight Page as my template. Is there a way of doing that?