Photo
- - - - -

Blog page branding question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 intellagentz

intellagentz

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

Any simple way to hide branding on blog page and single post pages?

#2 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi Carl - You could use CSS to hide the branding area using the classes or IDs provided in the body tag of each page. If you need more help/direction, feel free to let us know. To get you started... I'd need more info on what exactly you'd want to hide, but this should get you on the right track:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

That would hide it on the blog page(s).

#3 intellagentz

intellagentz

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

thank you.. Thank you, I would have never figured that out using firebug alone. Essentially, what I'd like to consider is different branding header for the blog page for the purposes of off-site marketing with a distinct domain name forwarding to the landing posts page. (Hope that makes sense) Therefore, here's what I'm thinking: a) remove existing branding from both the posts page and the single post pages B) replace those pages above with an alternatively branded header Your code achieves one part of bullet a)

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

In this case it sounds like you want to actually edit the code and write a conditional to display one header in one case and another in the second case. However, depending on what you want you could try customizing one of the other section and using it as the replacement header, such as the highlight section. What sounds better to you..also it probably matters what sort of header you want?

#5 intellagentz

intellagentz

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

thanks Adam, Just realized that there is an advanced option to hide the items in the header template (ex nav and branding) on post pages. Good news is that that worked on the post landing page...but bad news is that when you click on a single post, the nav and branding are visible. If I can manage to hide both in the single post pages as well, then I can simply add a section (box, highlight etc) just above the Content area for both templates (ie post pages and single post page). Sound plausible? If so, is there a quick CSS code to hide the branding and navbar on the single post page?

#6 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

You can edit at the page/post level meaning if there is a single post named "Cats" - when actually editing that post there are many options on what you can show/hide if you scroll down. Thanks, Bryan

#7 intellagentz

intellagentz

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

Thanks Bryan, I think is another case of semantics. When I refer to the "landing page" of a blog, I'm referring to the page that lists all your most recent blog posts. When I refer to a single post page however, I'm actually referring to ALL single posts. In other words, I want to hide the navbar/branding which results whenever anyone clicks on ANY blog post on the landing page.

#8 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Hey Carl - I mentioned previously "the classes or IDs provided in the body tag of each page"... That still may help you. In the body tag of posts there are two classes you can use (only use one or the other). They are: "single" and "single-post". So, using those along with the "display:none" declaration, it may be what you're looking for.

#9 intellagentz

intellagentz

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Kate, Your explanation helped me work through my understanding of CSS styling protocols a little better. I figured it out, but I'm reconsidering this approach now. It might confuse the reader. Out of curiosity, are there any Corporate website examples you can think of where there's been an attempt to brand the Blog portion of the site differently than the main site content?

#10 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

None that I can think of, but you could start a trend :)