Photo
- - - - -

Custom Code --> Custom CSS --> CSS Rules Field Doesn't Work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 steffanantonas

steffanantonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

I've installed Platform Pro (v 1.2), and I've activated the Base childtheme (1.0.4) to customize my site. The only problem is that I can't get the CSS rules to take inside theme's control panel (Custom Code --> Custom CSS). I'm guessing this is a permission issue, but I can't find the right file to 777. I even went back and reactivated the platform pro theme, and set the dynamic.css file's permissions to 777. Didn't work. Please help before I lose all my hair. It also might be helpful to put up a list of all the files that need to be writeable in the FAQ. Thanks!

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

It may not be a permissions thing as that code gets inserted into the header, what is a sample of the css that won't change, you may just need to be more specific with your selectors?

#3 steffanantonas

steffanantonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

It's basic stuff like... #body { padding-top: 15px; } #feature_slider .fcontent .dcol-pad { height: 450px; padding: 100px 30px 20px; } I can't seem to change ANY CSS

#4 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

A live link would help us investigate... Until then we can only guess... couple ideas: 1. Could be about specificity (rules not specific enough) 2. Is the dynamic.css file changing when you change design control rules? 3. Are your rules working with FireBug?

#5 steffanantonas

steffanantonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Andrew,

Here's a live

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

A few answers to your questions -

The dynamic.css file seems to be picking something, but it's gobbledygook, which I've never seen before. Check this out...

Posted Image

Yes. Rules work with firebug.

Thanks for your help.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

That is strange. Have you tried viewing dynamic.css in another text editor (not Dreamweaver)?

#7 steffanantonas

steffanantonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Catrina, This is a screenshot of my text editor. Mac shows the dreamweaver icon, but this is just txt.

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Ah, I see. Maybe it's just the text editor display then. Which specific rules do you want to edit?

#9 steffanantonas

steffanantonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Problem solved. No idea why this is, but it's so simple it's insane. All of my CSS rules I was putting in to the Custom CSS field looked like this (for example)... #body { padding-top: 20px } When I removed the "#", i.e. body {padding-top:20px} Everything worked and all the styles took. I was just following the convention of your own style sheet. So there, you go. Problem solved.

#10 steffanantonas

steffanantonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Here's a tip for people having the same problem.... Styles that look like this (below) REQUIRE the "#" for the custom CSS to take (i.e. removing the "#" will result in no change): #soapbox .fboxgraphic { height: 255px; margin: 0 0 55px; overflow:visible; } but styles with no classes (like below), need to have no "#" in order to work: body { padding-top:20px } That's the way it works in my theme at least. I have NO idea why this makes a difference, but it does.