Photo

IE 7 -- WH Pro appearance is a mess!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 darlene-luther

darlene-luther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

I just spent hours setting up my front page for White House Pro (through Firefox) and it's looking great. To my dismay, when accessed through IE7 (possibly 6 as well), its appearance is nighmarish! I am a novice at this; however, I saw another post that said maybe there is a <p> within <h3> headers that may be causing it. I can't find such. Can someone please help me???!!!! Thank you!!! My site is: http://www.thecharlottemarket.com On IE7, the main feature box is messed up most notably on selection 3, and at bottom where content goes, the text is completely missing and only the images show.

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

IE is an unforgiving beast. Did you validate using w3? this can often give you hinds.. also do you have firebug?

#3 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

also can you post a screenshot?

#4 darlene-luther

darlene-luther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

As you can see, the selection box numbers overlap the text (which does not happen on Firefox), and the columns of text in the feature content sections at the very bottom of screen is actually supposed to be black, not pale yellow.

[url=Posted Image]null

#5 darlene-luther

darlene-luther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

Here is the same page using Firefox, which shows up correctly.

Also, I do have firebug. Will figure out how to use it. Know nothing about this.
And how do I determine the URI in order to validate with W3?

[url=Posted Image]null

#6 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:51 AM

Just use your homepage URL. It looks like its:http://www.thecharlottemarket.com

#7 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

ok screenshot helped... I see a couple things wrong with the markup:

• The reason you have yellow text in your fBoxes is because there is a `` tag that isn't closed in your third feature area
  • Using `align=center` or similar is a deprecated method... trying using `style="text-align:center"` (or similar) instead

#8 darlene-luther

darlene-luther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Okay I got the text in the three feature boxes at bottom to correctly appear in black (not pale yellow). However, the 3rd feature where the pictures scroll as seen in the image below is still messed up.

I closed the <span> tag in the third feature area as you said.
I changed the center tag as you said.

Can't thank you enough for walking me through this!

[url=Posted Image]null

#9 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

This is because windows/IE renders fonts differently than FF and on the mac. Usually you just need to accommodate this, by shortening text.. (if you notice on PageLines, we leave space for larger text on Windows than Mac etc...) The text looks good, I would just leave some space for its appearance in IE.

#10 darlene-luther

darlene-luther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

I guess that's the catch then...design the theme working in the IE browser. The appearance looks much cleaner and better in Firefox. Thank you for your response. I removed some text. Only one part I cannot seem to change is that the text I've written after <h1 class="ftitle"> I need to shrink the font a little to get "Worldwide ERC" to be on the same line as it shows in Firefox. Any way I can shrink that text? Also, just curious if any of the text within the feature boxes visible to search engines?

#11 darlene-luther

darlene-luther

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:34 AM

I guess that's the catch then...design the theme working in the IE browser. The appearance looks much cleaner and better in Firefox. Thank you for your response. I removed some text as a simple fix. One part I cannot seem to change is the text I've written after <h1 class="ftitle"> I need to shrink the font a little to get "Worldwide ERC" to be on the same line as it shows in Firefox. How do I shrink that text? Thanks...much appreciated. Also, just curious if any of the text within the feature boxes visible to search engines?

#12 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

One part I cannot seem to change is the text I've written after <h1 class="ftitle"> I need to shrink the font a little to get "Worldwide ERC" to be on the same line as it shows in Firefox. How do I shrink that text? Thanks...much appreciated.

Add this to the custom CSS Code field:
 .fcontent .ftitle {font-size: 35px;}

Also, just curious if any of the text within the feature boxes visible to search engines?

Yes it is.