Photo
- - - - -

PlatformPro Version 1.2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hey Guys, Just letting you know, we're working on version 1.2.0 of PlatformPro. There will be a few new features, but the main one will be Color Control. Color control is a way of quickly setting site colors using options (although we will still recommend using Custom CSS as the professional solution and especially for refinements) Any other suggestions?

#2 jtaylor872

jtaylor872

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Looking forward to the new version for Color Control as most developers are catering to individual preferences. Color impression is significant on an unconscious level for viewers so I'm looking forward to seeing the updates. The only other suggestion would be around Font Style control. Perhaps, a pull down selection for a certain number of common fonts (i.e. arial, calibri, verdana, tahomona, georgia, etc). Best regards -

#3 Sourena

Sourena

Advocate

• Members

• 563 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

My suggestions: 1. Support for BuddyPress (in CSS) 2. Support for Custom Post Types (Thumbnails, etc.) and Custom Taxonomies 3. Support for RTL

#4 renderinnovations

renderinnovations

• Members

• 142 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

I hope this can be a free update to the one I just purchase as developer?

#5 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Should be Adam, because it's not a major release. PlatformPro 2 would be a major release. And that will be an exciting feature full day. Thanks, Bryan

#6 nigel

nigel

• Members

• 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

My two cents: 1. Upload background image from control panel 2. Set feature dimensions from control panel Other than that, this is the perfect theme!

#7 chrisrust

chrisrust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

Colour control would be very useful for me, at the moment you have a very basic function to assign a colour to the headings but it's very crude and I abandoned it as soon as I tried it. I'd like to assign colours to different heading styles but also be able to override those colours in specific situations. The Wordpress editor handles colours very badly - if you need to use a non-standard colour you have to type in the hex every time you edit a page or post. The other thing is that Pagelines has a very strong "Typographic" approach so naturally it attracts somebody like me who is very focused on visual design and would be very happy to live a life free of CSS. So some typographic controls would be great - especially line spacing.

#8 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

The margins on the Feature box, Boxes and the Footer are wider than the margins on the main content in the page layout. I find that rather odd that PlatformPro leaves it to us to adjust and wonder why these sections aren't consistent. I almost hesitate to bring it up but it really should be fixed. Being able to order features, boxes and banners, etc without depending on a plug-in would be a godsend. Not sure what the solution might be but the nav bar needs to be more easily customized. Styles need to be all in one place/document or publish a detailed commented list of all the rules that affect writing CSS to edit. Because trying to style a PlatformPro navbar sucks the life out of me. Its impossible to drill completely into the CSS with Firebug. But not customizing the nav bar makes my sites no different than the next guys Pagelines site. So, it must be done. If you can't do something in this next release to the framework itself??”how about documentation to jump start us? It's probably the best solution to this dilemma. Thanks.

#9 nextyear

nextyear

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:17 AM

Colour and font control would be brilliant.

#10 mitroister

mitroister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:29 AM

The avatar options are lacking. Would like to see a well incorporated avatar feature.

#11 Sourena

Sourena

Advocate

• Members

• 563 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

Another suggestion: Customizing the category and archive pages.

#12 renderinnovations

renderinnovations

• Members

• 142 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

How often do you think you'll be creating major releases? I'm excited to keep following this development. I'm wanting to continue to use Platform as a way to make inexpensive sites for clients. Thanks, Adam

#13 renderinnovations

renderinnovations

• Members

• 142 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

Oh, maybe another possible addition?... Being able to control the navigation better. For example being able to place the logo beside the nav, or creating different nav buttons easier than going through coding.

#14 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Thanks guys, some of these suggestions have been implemented. We think you'll do awesome things with the new 'design control' options in 1.2.0 (complete control of colors, background image, new design mode: 'canvas')

Features that aren't included are slated on the road map for a 1.2.x release (RTL, Font Style Control, etc...).

On Releases
@Adam, 1.2.0 will be a free major minor release... these incorporate new features but aren't a true 'major' release.

Major releases e.g. PlatformPro 2, iBlogPro5, etc... are usually huge structural rewrites with tons and tons of new options + functionality. These have a small upgrade cost adn come typically every 6-12 months.

#15 afuggetta

afuggetta

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

I have just installed PlatformPro. Two things I would suggest. 1. On the blog page, I would like to have full text for the first two posts displayed as full text (but then I do not want summary/excerpt), while I would like to have summary/excerpt for the remaining posts. 2. I can't remove the author name when using summary/excerpt.

#16 tpldrew

tpldrew

Advanced Member

• Members

• 93 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Nice work! Looking forward to the next version. I'd like a button class (similar to the box class) for the page call-outs so I don't have to create an image every time I want a button on those pages... That would be awesome. Even in some of the Pagelines implementations I've seen the inconsistency between callout buttons is very noticeable. Thanks, Drew

#17 janpeeters

janpeeters

Advocate

• Members

• 308 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the enhancements.

I would like to suggest that PFP gives you the option to do changes in your main theme or in a child theme. If you choose for a child theme the child theme then gets adopted by PFP and all customisations are done in that child theme. So as for the colour settings they are not done in your main theme.
That way "(although we will still recommend using Custom CSS as the professional solution and especially for refinements)" are a thing of the past.

Hopefully it's clear enough what I mean?

Kind regards, Jan

#18 Sourena

Sourena

Advocate

• Members

• 563 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

One more suggestion: a. adding "print.css" to the theme, b. Adding a print option for posts/pages.

#19 nigel

nigel

• Members

• 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

And...one more suggestion :) Being able to create your own custom pages in the Template Setup section in order to design template layouts per page if need be. So, in addition to Highlight page, Box page etc., allow to create "Custom 1" "Custom 2" etc. and be able to arrange the template sections as desired. Thanks!

#20 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

@Nigel agreed, this is a harder feature to implement than you might think (WP related) @Jan, not sure what you mean... can't custom CSS be adding using Base already? @Drew, working on some shortcodes for things like this.... its coming. @Sourena, Print.css is a good idea as well as RTL. Will come with an update...