Photo
- - - - -

Performance Tuning Ideas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 bansuriflute

bansuriflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:36 AM

Hi Guys - Just finished a couple of weeks of painful process of performance tuning that included switching out current hosting service. Thankfully, the site is performing pretty well now. Just to be clear, none of this tuning effort was related to the theme. Couple of ideas in tune up area - 1. Use of CSS sprites. I know people like switch things around so this may be a challenge. If there is a way to generate sprites through scripting after the site look and feel is finalized, that will be great. 2. Use of subdomains. If it is possible to spread different elements of the theme across 2-3 subdomains, it may speed things up due to parallel downloads. Pingdom report suggests that there are about 30+ theme image related calls and while each is pretty short, parallel downloads will speed them up even further.

#2 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:08 AM

The themes currently do use sprites already where possible.

Moving to Ideas and Feedback.

Thanks, Bryan

#3 danielgreencharternet

danielgreencharternet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

I read quite a few of the forum posts on performance issues and was having terrible issues-would barely load.
After running YSlow and seeing the issues I found this solution made much more difference than any caching plugins and fixed the problem.
Th caching plugins aren't necessarily the answer. I fixed the problem by reordering the loading of scripts.
The problem is:
9 external Javascript scripts.
15 external stylesheets.18 external background images.
This plugin takes care of the bulk of the issues without the caching. After doing this you can get the full benefit of further optimizing and compressing.

Script ordering plugin

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

Follow up here: http://www.pagelines...pic.php?id=4465 Thanks, Bryan