Photo
- - - - -

Using a page as a category header!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 chocolaterebel

chocolaterebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Oh dear, please forgive my ramblings on this post. I'm a designer, not much of a programmer, so if you can help out I'd be grateful!

I'm trying to either embed a category into a page, or a page into a category. Either will serve the purpose of having a page be a contextual, editable introduction to the content listed in that category. :)

Naturally, I'm running into some problems.

• Plugins:
  • Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

plugin
  • Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(discontinued by the author) and

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(a child plugin to Page2Cat)

)
[/*]

I've embedded post-clips from my Audiobook category into my Audiobook page, which acts as a header/introduction to the list of posts. This isn't the only category/page combo that I'm embedding post-clips into; I also have a Podcast page with Podcast category post-clips embedded into it.

There are two plugins which would do what I'd like, but they each have their own drawbacks. To show the difference, I have each page using a different plugin.

The plugin

does

; a list, and applied very easily with bracket code in the page content. It requires no editing of template files. For what it does, it works well, however, there's no pagination nor a simple template system to format the output into magazine style post-clips, nor does it support the display of the audio player (see next plugin).

The plugin combo Page2Cat (sadly discontinued) and its child plugin Category Page Extender work together to

, and it requires inserting code into template.postloop.php. Unfortunately, using this I've run into a bug where the output is duplicated.

Template code:

As you can see from the Podcast page, the plugins work, kindof. The category posts are doubling for some reason. Normally I'd create a new page template, but I wasn't absolutely sure how to do this with PlatformPro, so I inserted the code into the template.postloop.php file, here:

What I'd love to have happen is to see Pageline's magazine style post-clips be embeddable to pages with a category (or tag) filter. I can't do this perfectly with either plugin. I think it might be possible to format it this way with the List Category Post plugin with its template files, so I'll be plucking at it for a while until my little knowledge of php wears thin. ;)

A new feature idea? :) A text-content or page template section that can be defined to show specific categories or tags with the ability to attach features/boxes/highlights/or even pages in its content, as the current templates allow to do.

I'd love to be able to get this to work, please chip in if you have a clue how this can be made possible. :)

#2 chocolaterebel

chocolaterebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

I think I might have found another possible solution to my answer. Reading around I saw

, about using Query-posts and Widget-logic plugings with the Content sidebar. Excellent stuff, I wouldn't have thought to look in that direction.

I have

after following Sourena Parham's directions. I decided to go with embedding a page into the category since the inverse only produces a list. From here I will try to find a way to format it so that the page fits more naturally.

The only downside to this method is that I am not sure how to turn off the other sections (feature slider and full width sidebar) while I'm browsing the categories. Is there a way to create a new platformpro template that affects only category and tag browsing?

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hm, there is no option for customizing the templates for categories and tags, but maybe there is a way to create new template files. Is this something that you're up for?

#4 chocolaterebel

chocolaterebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Certainly, a new template section just for categories and tags would benefit everybody! :) Alternatively, if we follow Widget logic's train of thought), sections like the Feature Slider (et al.) could benefit from an excluding page/post/category/tag. Though that's far and away from a template solution, into the realms of core programming. :b

#5 chocolaterebel

chocolaterebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

Okay, with some effort I patched together a solution which I'll share here for everyone who ever wanted to put a category into a page. My coding's pretty messy, and I won't claim to know PHP, but it worked for me. :)

Plugin used:

(modified)
Example:

(using Pagelines Pro)

From here on I'll refer to List Category Posts as LCP since it's kind of a handful to type all the time.

LCP has 4 php files that direct the plugin:

lcp_widget_form.php
list_cat_posts.php
list_cat_posts_widget.php
templates/default.php

I only modified two files, list_cat_posts.php and default.php. default.php is an example of LCP's template system, see the plugin site for more information about this.

LCP had a couple of bugs that I had to sort through before I could make it work the way I wanted it to, and most of those fixes I found while browsing the support forum on wordpress. Feel free to improve upon the changes I've made. :)

the modified list_cat_posts.php file:

the modified default.php file:

Just a reminder, I'm not a programmer, so I won't be able to give any support in regards to things that don't work. If it does work for you, please let me know! :)

#6 chocolaterebel

chocolaterebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:21 AM

Ah, sorry. Broke the page with the extra long code. :(

If you're having trouble copy-pasting, I've uploaded both files as txt.

I hope someone finds this useful! :D