Photo
- - - - -

Removing sidebar on highlight page

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#21 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

The text is required for the title, but you could remove it with this CSS ` #highlight .highlight-head, #highlight .highlight-subhead { display:none; } `

#22 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:45 AM

That does seem to remove the text from the title box, so I don't need to place two black dots into the boxes, one each. It still doesnt solve the problem of the highlight text box.
What I would want to do is to place the image, with the formatted text I can't get there otherwise (?) into the header box and leave the text box empty, reason being that the image is better horizontally aligned with the video box when its there. At the moment I have, like I said, placed a black dot there but that seems a bit silly - why should there be a default text in the box that cannot be removed, I can hardly be the only one who doesn't want any text there. If you look at the

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

you can see any text added there would look totally out of place.
Also, is there a way to get the black background for the highlight text area back - it got lost somewhere alomg the way removing the sidebars I think, which had a similar nn-disappearing text issue. I don't really like it empty like that, would probably look better black. Thanks!

#23 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

I just discovered another problem. If I add the image to the header box, with or without the code in place, it completely screws thing up in IE. The font of the actual text area (below the video and highlight area) turns almost unreadable and part of the text is HUGE (sorry for shouting but its really like 100px) and what is most odd, the footer text also turns huge. Adding a comma or something similar under the image seems to get rid of the problem. I really can't experiment now or leave it as it is as the site has to stay online looking decent, it's a busy time with the guys on national radio and tv etc quite a lot at the moment so can't have the site looking a mess. Just thought you should now there is a bug somewhere or if its meant to be like that, then maybe it should be re-thought for the next version? Meanwhile any suggestions as to how to fix it and get the black background back for the box are welcome!

#24 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

More: noticed that adding to the problem is the fact that wp seems to be changing the formatting of the actual text area in different language versions at will, which apparently is what results in changing the footer text (like turning the footer text into italics on the English page, but not on the Finnish page, when wp has removed the final </p> in the text area, but should it still affect the footer text which is specified elsewhere?).

#25 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hey Jaana, A picture says a thousand words... can you add one of the problem? We need to verify if this is a bug or not. Yes, Wp adds its own formatting (which can be annoying)

#26 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

You can remove the black dot and use this CSS to achieve formatting that you want. ` #highlight .fcontent { margin-top:40px; } `

#27 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Andrew, like I said earlier, it's a particularly public week for the band and we can't have the page looking a mess, so no, at the moment I can't add any of the problems as I'm working very hard to stop them from showing. :-) And adding one seems to escalate even more problems so I'm really just trying to leave it as it at the moment.
Somehow things seem to get messed up after I published that one highlight page. It seems now whatever formatting is added to the actual text box on almost any page, will affect the sidebar, footer, whatever.
I just noticed that in IE (perhaps all this is not related, but since it seems to have something to do with the highlight page I'll add it here) the custom font colour defined in css has all of a sudden stopped working on English (default) pages, which are shown in a slightly darker greyish font colour (not the default, lighter than that, about the same as the text in the sidebar) unless I manually change them. Which isn't very nice as the white text then won't show in the visual editor at all. The custom colour does work on the Finnish pages, but on the English language pages it won't change even if I update the pages and/or remove and add back the custom colour. I've checked about a million times and the pages are identical apart from the actual text, the posts usually don't even have any formatting added, unlike the pages.
If I edit the text in the actual text area weird thing happen. In the case of the Home page (not the current default but the one that says 'Home') by changing the text colour white, the text in the sidebar turned white and bold as well, not on other pages, only on 'Home', and not the text in the Blog entries widget, which is defined in custom css. This happened in other browsers as well, not just IE.
In Fan Photos, I noticed the entire text had turned red, the same colour the link on top is - including the text in the leave comments section. This again only in IE.
As far as I can see, all these problems started after I published the one highlight page...
The custom code in use is

I have deactivated all recent plugins but that doesn't seem to have any effect on any of this. Obviously a slightly different font colour in one browser isn't the end of the world, but it would be nice to have a uniform colour throughout the site...

#28 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Sorry, the one line in the code that is a link is a c&p error, should read:

:-)

#29 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:17 AM

I see this line in your CSS that has no business being there and could throw things off: `http://www.fluteofshame.com/bio/` Other than that you're going to need to start checking your work, the issues you're experiencing appear to be markup related. Check all of your pages in:

Thanks, Bryan

#30 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hi, sorry for the late reply and yes, as I mentioned in the previous message, the

was just a c&p error and did not appear in the actual custom css, which still remains as given by you in another thread. :-)
But going back to the original subject of sidebars, I would now like to remove the sidebar from a feature page as well. Earlier in this thread I got a code that removed the sidebar on a highlight page and would like to make sure I'm not messing it up if I use the same code modified, like this. Original for highlight page:

To remove the sidebar etc. on a feature page:
.page-template-page-feature-page-php #sidebar{display:none}
.page-template-page-feature-pagephp #highlight{background:none}
.page-template-page-feature-page-php #maincontent{width:958px}[/code]

It seems to be working but just to make sure...

#31 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Right, managed to copy it wrong again but the latter code is the same as the first one, only with 'highlight' replaced by 'feature-page'.

#32 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:07 AM

Well it's important to know whether you want to remove the sidebar from just one feature page or all feature pages. If just one let's get a link. Also, if you're using PlatformPro, when editing any page, scroll done bottom right there is a good list of options to hide sections on that page. Thanks, Bryan

#33 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

Just for the one at the moment Bryan, but I should think I wouldn't want it on any feature page if there were to be more than one. It's Station Pro I'm using.
Sorry about the link, I seem to have omitted that as well, as again there isn't any public page as yet. It will look something like

, and like I said, it seems to work ok and removing the sidebar from all feature pages is ok too.

#34 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

Okay, I just recommend the on page options as I described, that might be best. So you can configure each page exactly as you want as you go along. Thanks, Bryan

#35 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

Bryan, I'm not using Platform Pro, I don't have such page options in Station Pro which is what I am using.

#36 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Hey Jaana, Assuming you are having the same issue.. as when the thread started. Why can't you just hide the sidebars on the pages you want them hidden? I think this thread is getting long and to drawn out to read.. can we start a new one; that summarizes the existing issues? (sorry we haven't been able to resolve your issue yet)

#37 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Andrew, I already ready started another thread about the IE problems, just basically wanted a confirmation that the code I'm using is correct and doesn't add to the problems. Reason why I couldn't remove the sidebars with the hide when empty option was that a box with the text 'sidebar selected but doesn't any widgets...' was still displayed, so had to use some code to get rid of them.

#38 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

What is the code you're using? Is it the one you posted last?