Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing sidebar on highlight page

Question

Posted · Report post

Is there any way to remove the sidebar on a highlight page in StationPro? I've ticked 'Hide Sidebars When Empty' and selected the Short sidebar, which is empty for the page, but the sidebar and text 'The short sidebar has been selected but doesn't have any widgets...' is still showing. So, does it work only for the default sidebar (in this case the Main sidebar)? If so, then I'd like to be able to remove the sidebar on highlight and feature pages, as I do need the Main sidebar on other pages.

37 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Replying to myself: apparently it is possible to use an image so I think I'll do that then. :-)

Posted · Report post

One thing though - if I use an image there (eiher box), the 'add text' appears, how do I get rid of that? If I put the image in the header box, I can lose the text by typing a comma or something into the text box, but I'm sure there's a more elegant way of doing it?

Posted · Report post

They don't exist yet. There will be a Xmas greetings page with the band performing a Xmas song closer to the holidays, so I can't put it online yet, just thought I'd ask in advance as the sidebar is quite useless on that page and looks probably even worse if I have to put stuff in it just to hide the 'doesn't have any widgets' text. It would be just a normal highlight page with a video to begin with, next month there will probably be a need for a similar feature page where it would also be nice to be able to lose the sidebars...

Posted · Report post

Thanks Kate, getting closer - adding that removes the text but the black box is still there. If a php solution would work better then I'd be quite willing to try that, if you could point me to the right direction. I don't imagine the sidebar would be needed on any future highlight pages so removing them permanently isn't a problem (plus the php can always be changed back if needs be).

Posted · Report post

This can be done in CSS: `.highlight #sidebar{display:none}` Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

I see this line in your CSS that has no business being there and could throw things off: `http://www.fluteofshame.com/bio/` Other than that you're going to need to start checking your work, the issues you're experiencing appear to be markup related. Check all of your pages in: http://validator.w3.org/ Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

I'm a bit confused. If you haven't yet created a highlight page of course the code wouldn't work... you would need to actually create the page before it could be styled? Am I missing something, a little more explanation. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

You can make that text disappear by just using CSS code that will make it invisible (the

display: none;

CSS property). Is the image you're referring to in the feature slider?

Posted · Report post

Bryan, I'm not using Platform Pro, I don't have such page options in Station Pro which is what I am using.

Posted · Report post

Catrina, it's a highlight page, and I have the image in the highlight title box, and at the moment a black comma in the text box so as to lose the text that automatically appears there. Even if I move the image to the text box, the 'add text' still appears so apparently it requires that there is some text in that box. Could you tell me what exactly would be the piece of code to use to get rid of the text?

Posted · Report post

Hey Jaana, Assuming you are having the same issue.. as when the thread started. Why can't you just hide the sidebars on the pages you want them hidden? I think this thread is getting long and to drawn out to read.. can we start a new one; that summarizes the existing issues? (sorry we haven't been able to resolve your issue yet)

Posted · Report post

Andrew, I already ready started another thread about the IE problems, just basically wanted a confirmation that the code I'm using is correct and doesn't add to the problems. Reason why I couldn't remove the sidebars with the hide when empty option was that a box with the text 'sidebar selected but doesn't any widgets...' was still displayed, so had to use some code to get rid of them.