Photo
- - - - -

Removing sidebar on highlight page

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Is there any way to remove the sidebar on a highlight page in StationPro? I've ticked 'Hide Sidebars When Empty' and selected the Short sidebar, which is empty for the page, but the sidebar and text 'The short sidebar has been selected but doesn't have any widgets...' is still showing. So, does it work only for the default sidebar (in this case the Main sidebar)? If so, then I'd like to be able to remove the sidebar on highlight and feature pages, as I do need the Main sidebar on other pages.

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Can you specify for example which pages on your site, with links?

#3 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

They don't exist yet. There will be a Xmas greetings page with the band performing a Xmas song closer to the holidays, so I can't put it online yet, just thought I'd ask in advance as the sidebar is quite useless on that page and looks probably even worse if I have to put stuff in it just to hide the 'doesn't have any widgets' text. It would be just a normal highlight page with a video to begin with, next month there will probably be a need for a similar feature page where it would also be nice to be able to lose the sidebars...

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

This can be done in CSS: `.highlight #sidebar{display:none}` Thanks, Bryan

#5 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

That doesn't seem to work. Any particular place where I should add that?

#6 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

Custom Code > Custom CSS

We need a link too.

Thanks, Bryan

#7 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

That's where I put it... As to the link, as I said above, the page doesn't exist yet. There will be a Xmas greetings page with the band performing a Xmas song closer to the holidays, so I can't put it online yet, just thought I'd ask in advance.

#8 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

@Jaana In order to "hide" the sidebar, try adding this (along the lines of what Bryan mentioned):

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Now, note that the code itself is still being generated, it's just being hidden with CSS. You'd have to try a PHP solution if you don't even want it to be generated.

Hope that helps.

#9 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Thanks Kate, getting closer - adding that removes the text but the black box is still there. If a php solution would work better then I'd be quite willing to try that, if you could point me to the right direction. I don't imagine the sidebar would be needed on any future highlight pages so removing them permanently isn't a problem (plus the php can always be changed back if needs be).

#10 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

I'm a bit confused. If you haven't yet created a highlight page of course the code wouldn't work... you would need to actually create the page before it could be styled? Am I missing something, a little more explanation. Thanks, Bryan

#11 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

Bryan, I have tested it by creating the page without the actual video and then deleted the page, didn't want to leave it there yet as I don't want anyone to stumble upon it by accident. :-)
But

it is now again, I'll leave it online for long enough for you to see it, but it really is just a standard highlight page. After changing the background I notice there is no black box for the text next to the video box, not quite sure yet if that's good or bad, and the box is not quite properly placed. At least in FF it seems to stretch a bit on top of the upper bar. Changing the object height just makes the box smaller.

#12 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

I see that: ` .page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar { display: none; } ` Is indeed working, so what next. Also, no one will see that page other than those who see this page. Thanks, Bryan

#13 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:12 AM

And a closer look shows that the black box from behind the sidebar text is gone too, so I put Kate's code back there and now the text is gone, but it looks a bit funny like that as well, so I guess the question now is how to make the main text content area cover the entire width of the page, and if possible, nudging it downwards a bit so the video box wouldn't be on top of it... Wouldn't mind having the background next to the video box back to black either, but I guess I can live with it being transparent if it's complicated to change it.

#14 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

So altogether: ` .page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar{display:none} .page-template-page-highlight-php #highlight{background:none} .page-template-page-highlight-php #maincontent{width:958px} ` Let me know if and how you'd like to style it any further. Thanks, Bryan

#15 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:45 AM

Ah, but Bryan, you don't know how the most eager fans can test endlessly test different addresses just in case there is something that isn't linked. :-)

That code works perfectly, thank you once again! I don't know what I did again as I actually tested

and it didn't work, maybe I had it set too wide or typed something wrong...

#16 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:51 PM

Not quite sure if I should create a new topic but I thought it might be clearer to start here, with all the editing that's been done already.
I would like to change the font, size and colour of the text box next to the video box into something a bit more 'christmassy'. Since language codes don't work, I would ideally like to be able to have there 'Merry Christmas!' in one colour (red, for example) and in some 'softer' font, ideally something that probably wouldn't work in all browsers, but something like comic or brush script would do. Then another line in Finnish, otherwise the same but in a different colour, and finally a third line with the greetings in a slightly smaller font and yet another colour.
I've tried adding stuff like <p style=???font-family:comic sans ms; font-color:#DC143C; font-size:20px???> into the actual text boxes and

in custom css (purely guessing here), but the only thing it changes is the font size. So could you give me a hint as to what it is that I really should be doing here? :-) Would it be possible to use an image there?

#17 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

Replying to myself: apparently it is possible to use an image so I think I'll do that then. :-)

#18 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

One thing though - if I use an image there (eiher box), the 'add text' appears, how do I get rid of that? If I put the image in the header box, I can lose the text by typing a comma or something into the text box, but I'm sure there's a more elegant way of doing it?

#19 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

You can make that text disappear by just using CSS code that will make it invisible (the

CSS property). Is the image you're referring to in the feature slider?

#20 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

Catrina, it's a highlight page, and I have the image in the highlight title box, and at the moment a black comma in the text box so as to lose the text that automatically appears there. Even if I move the image to the text box, the 'add text' still appears so apparently it requires that there is some text in that box. Could you tell me what exactly would be the piece of code to use to get rid of the text?