Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing sidebar on highlight page

Question

Posted · Report post

Is there any way to remove the sidebar on a highlight page in StationPro? I've ticked 'Hide Sidebars When Empty' and selected the Short sidebar, which is empty for the page, but the sidebar and text 'The short sidebar has been selected but doesn't have any widgets...' is still showing. So, does it work only for the default sidebar (in this case the Main sidebar)? If so, then I'd like to be able to remove the sidebar on highlight and feature pages, as I do need the Main sidebar on other pages.

37 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The text is required for the title, but you could remove it with this CSS ` #highlight .highlight-head, #highlight .highlight-subhead { display:none; } `

Posted · Report post

That's where I put it... As to the link, as I said above, the page doesn't exist yet. There will be a Xmas greetings page with the band performing a Xmas song closer to the holidays, so I can't put it online yet, just thought I'd ask in advance.

Posted · Report post

Just for the one at the moment Bryan, but I should think I wouldn't want it on any feature page if there were to be more than one. It's Station Pro I'm using. Sorry about the link, I seem to have omitted that as well, as again there isn't any public page as yet. It will look something like this, and like I said, it seems to work ok and removing the sidebar from all feature pages is ok too.

Posted · Report post

What is the code you're using? Is it the one you posted last?

Posted · Report post

That doesn't seem to work. Any particular place where I should add that?

Posted · Report post

That does seem to remove the text from the title box, so I don't need to place two black dots into the boxes, one each. It still doesnt solve the problem of the highlight text box. What I would want to do is to place the image, with the formatted text I can't get there otherwise (?) into the header box and leave the text box empty, reason being that the image is better horizontally aligned with the video box when its there. At the moment I have, like I said, placed a black dot there but that seems a bit silly - why should there be a default text in the box that cannot be removed, I can hardly be the only one who doesn't want any text there. If you look at the page you can see any text added there would look totally out of place. Also, is there a way to get the black background for the highlight text area back - it got lost somewhere alomg the way removing the sidebars I think, which had a similar nn-disappearing text issue. I don't really like it empty like that, would probably look better black. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Hi, sorry for the late reply and yes, as I mentioned in the previous message, the

the http://www.fluteofshame.com/bio/
was just a c&p error and did not appear in the actual custom css, which still remains as given by you in another thread. :-) But going back to the original subject of sidebars, I would now like to remove the sidebar from a feature page as well. Earlier in this thread I got a code that removed the sidebar on a highlight page and would like to make sure I'm not messing it up if I use the same code modified, like this. Original for highlight page:
.page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar{display:none}
	.page-template-page-highlight-php #highlight{background:none}
	.page-template-page-highlight-php #maincontent{width:958px}
To remove the sidebar etc. on a feature page: .page-template-page-feature-page-php #sidebar{display:none} .page-template-page-feature-pagephp #highlight{background:none} .page-template-page-feature-page-php #maincontent{width:958px}

Posted · Report post

Andrew, like I said earlier, it's a particularly public week for the band and we can't have the page looking a mess, so no, at the moment I can't add any of the problems as I'm working very hard to stop them from showing. :-) And adding one seems to escalate even more problems so I'm really just trying to leave it as it at the moment. Somehow things seem to get messed up after I published that one highlight page. It seems now whatever formatting is added to the actual text box on almost any page, will affect the sidebar, footer, whatever. I just noticed that in IE (perhaps all this is not related, but since it seems to have something to do with the highlight page I'll add it here) the custom font colour defined in css has all of a sudden stopped working on English (default) pages, which are shown in a slightly darker greyish font colour (not the default, lighter than that, about the same as the text in the sidebar) unless I manually change them. Which isn't very nice as the white text then won't show in the visual editor at all. The custom colour does work on the Finnish pages, but on the English language pages it won't change even if I update the pages and/or remove and add back the custom colour. I've checked about a million times and the pages are identical apart from the actual text, the posts usually don't even have any formatting added, unlike the pages. If I edit the text in the actual text area weird thing happen. In the case of the Home page (not the current default but the one that says 'Home') by changing the text colour white, the text in the sidebar turned white and bold as well, not on other pages, only on 'Home', and not the text in the Blog entries widget, which is defined in custom css. This happened in other browsers as well, not just IE. In Fan Photos, I noticed the entire text had turned red, the same colour the link on top is - including the text in the leave comments section. This again only in IE. As far as I can see, all these problems started after I published the one highlight page... The custom code in use is

body{
	background:#000 url("http://www.fluteofshame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1179032744-949-0.jpg");
	http://www.fluteofshame.com/bio/
	line-height:20px;
	font-size:14px}

#nav ul, #nav .mnav{width:623px}
	#searchform {width:200px;}
	#s {width:170px;}

#site #contentborder{background:none}

#sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry{
	background:none;
	border-top:2px solid #222222;
	clear:both;
	overflow:hidden;
	padding:1px;
	padding-left:10px}

.bns-featured-category strong a{font-weight:normal}

.page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar{display:none}

.page-template-page-highlight-php #highlight{background:none}

.page-template-page-highlight-php #maincontent{width:958px}

#highlight .highlight-head, #highlight .highlight-subhead {
	display:none;
	}

I have deactivated all recent plugins but that doesn't seem to have any effect on any of this. Obviously a slightly different font colour in one browser isn't the end of the world, but it would be nice to have a uniform colour throughout the site...

Posted · Report post

Sorry, the one line in the code that is a link is a c&p error, should read:

color:#fff;

:-)

Posted · Report post

Right, managed to copy it wrong again but the latter code is the same as the first one, only with 'highlight' replaced by 'feature-page'.

Posted · Report post

Custom Code > Custom CSS We need a link too. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

Bryan, I have tested it by creating the page without the actual video and then deleted the page, didn't want to leave it there yet as I don't want anyone to stumble upon it by accident. :-) But here it is now again, I'll leave it online for long enough for you to see it, but it really is just a standard highlight page. After changing the background I notice there is no black box for the text next to the video box, not quite sure yet if that's good or bad, and the box is not quite properly placed. At least in FF it seems to stretch a bit on top of the upper bar. Changing the object height just makes the box smaller.

Posted · Report post

I see that: ` .page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar { display: none; } ` Is indeed working, so what next. Also, no one will see that page other than those who see this page. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

And a closer look shows that the black box from behind the sidebar text is gone too, so I put Kate's code back there and now the text is gone, but it looks a bit funny like that as well, so I guess the question now is how to make the main text content area cover the entire width of the page, and if possible, nudging it downwards a bit so the video box wouldn't be on top of it... Wouldn't mind having the background next to the video box back to black either, but I guess I can live with it being transparent if it's complicated to change it.

Posted · Report post

Okay, I just recommend the on page options as I described, that might be best. So you can configure each page exactly as you want as you go along. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

So altogether: ` .page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar{display:none} .page-template-page-highlight-php #highlight{background:none} .page-template-page-highlight-php #maincontent{width:958px} ` Let me know if and how you'd like to style it any further. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

Ah, but Bryan, you don't know how the most eager fans can test endlessly test different addresses just in case there is something that isn't linked. :-) That code works perfectly, thank you once again! I don't know what I did again as I actually tested

.page-template-page-highlight-php #maincontent{width:NNpx}

and it didn't work, maybe I had it set too wide or typed something wrong...

Posted · Report post

@Jaana In order to "hide" the sidebar, try adding this (along the lines of what Bryan mentioned):

.page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar{display:none;}

Now, note that the code itself is still being generated, it's just being hidden with CSS. You'd have to try a PHP solution if you don't even want it to be generated. Hope that helps.

Posted · Report post

Can you specify for example which pages on your site, with links?

Posted · Report post

I just discovered another problem. If I add the image to the header box, with or without the code in place, it completely screws thing up in IE. The font of the actual text area (below the video and highlight area) turns almost unreadable and part of the text is HUGE (sorry for shouting but its really like 100px) and what is most odd, the footer text also turns huge. Adding a comma or something similar under the image seems to get rid of the problem. I really can't experiment now or leave it as it is as the site has to stay online looking decent, it's a busy time with the guys on national radio and tv etc quite a lot at the moment so can't have the site looking a mess. Just thought you should now there is a bug somewhere or if its meant to be like that, then maybe it should be re-thought for the next version? Meanwhile any suggestions as to how to fix it and get the black background back for the box are welcome!

Posted · Report post

More: noticed that adding to the problem is the fact that wp seems to be changing the formatting of the actual text area in different language versions at will, which apparently is what results in changing the footer text (like turning the footer text into italics on the English page, but not on the Finnish page, when wp has removed the final </p> in the text area, but should it still affect the footer text which is specified elsewhere?).

Posted · Report post

Well it's important to know whether you want to remove the sidebar from just one feature page or all feature pages. If just one let's get a link. Also, if you're using PlatformPro, when editing any page, scroll done bottom right there is a good list of options to hide sections on that page. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

Hey Jaana, A picture says a thousand words... can you add one of the problem? We need to verify if this is a bug or not. Yes, Wp adds its own formatting (which can be annoying)

Posted · Report post

You can remove the black dot and use this CSS to achieve formatting that you want. ` #highlight .fcontent { margin-top:40px; } `

Posted · Report post

Not quite sure if I should create a new topic but I thought it might be clearer to start here, with all the editing that's been done already. I would like to change the font, size and colour of the text box next to the video box into something a bit more 'christmassy'. Since language codes don't work, I would ideally like to be able to have there 'Merry Christmas!' in one colour (red, for example) and in some 'softer' font, ideally something that probably wouldn't work in all browsers, but something like comic or brush script would do. Then another line in Finnish, otherwise the same but in a different colour, and finally a third line with the greetings in a slightly smaller font and yet another colour. I've tried adding stuff like <p style=???font-family:comic sans ms; font-color:#DC143C; font-size:20px???> into the actual text boxes and

.page-template-page-highlight-php #highlight{font-family:comic sans ms; font-color:#DC143C; font-size:20px}

in custom css (purely guessing here), but the only thing it changes is the font size. So could you give me a hint as to what it is that I really should be doing here? :-) Would it be possible to use an image there?