Photo
- - - - -

Creating Custom Templates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 localspiral

localspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

I created a "custom" page template page in the PlatformPro settings by modifying at config.templates.php the $template_map array and registering it with pagelines_register_section, which at this point behaves like "single" post template. At the moment, I can only assign it to pages.

Is there a clean way I can now assign it to a category or even better, to a custom post type, and not just to pages, one by one?

FYI, what I try to accomplish is to imitate a page that would be a single post like, for example this one, into the Platform framework (of course very different from what the regular posts would be...)

Thanks.

Santi

#2 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

@Santi I passed the info on, and we should be back to your shortly.

#3 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

Santi, We'll look at making this process super simple (for someone who want to code) in the next update. I believe some hooks need to be added.

#4 localspiral

localspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

@PageLines - How far away is the next version?

#5 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

No ETA, check back at your LaunchPad account every so often: http://www.pagelines...hpad/member.php Also, I think update emails are now going out. Thanks, Bryan

#6 nodebud

nodebud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

I'll be watching for this info as well. I've got another premium framework theme that makes it easy to add a section on a page to pull content from a category, post or page. That was one of the features I liked most about it because I could easily create a page with several content sections, and I could define how many posts to display for each one.

#7 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

That is a nice feature, which framework is it?

#8 danabrunetti

danabrunetti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Ditto.

#9 dmillbank

dmillbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

Just checking in to let you know that this is a feature I would love to see as well.

#10 Sourena

Sourena

Advocate

• Members

• 563 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

I would love to have this feature as well.

#11 localspiral

localspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Andrew, I am not a programmer, so for the moment, I give up on making it happen before we get more info from you, because it looks like you might be right about more hooks needed to make it happen directly on Base but... Most important is to get a good example on how to make it happen, either before or after your next release, and I am sure you can make it happen real soon, true to your #1 rule... customers first. I hope I am not being pushy, but it seems I am not the only one looking for this solution... Thank you, Santi

#12 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

@Santi We appreciate the feedback and will keep you posted!

#13 localspiral

localspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

@Kate Thanks, look forward to it.

#14 smitchell360

smitchell360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

+1 Custom Templates are important

#15 abellemare

abellemare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

Custom Templates Built into the Theme I too am not a programmer so forgive me if I am repeating the above request. I am a designer and as you know we are particular about every detail. Which is why I choice PlatformPro. It would be great to have 5 or more extra generic templates added to the theme that work with the Pagelines Section Control. This way I will have 5 more ways to arrange the order of my content for specific pages. Thanks.

#16 Sourena

Sourena

Advocate

• Members

• 563 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

I just found out how a copy of "template.postloop.php" works in a child theme. I could customize my blog page a little bit editing that file. I suggest Pagelines to write an instruction on how to create custom-made category, archive, custom post types, and custom-made taxonomy pages using the template files such as "template.postloop.php". This is a much-needed information for the more-advanced users and designers, and makes PlatformPro a truly powerful framework. Currently the blog page only has two "appearances": Blog and Magazine. The category pages have only one type of appearance, and taxonomy and custom post type pages do not look right. Let the users know how these pages can be changed and customized.

#17 annabelr

annabelr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Casting a vote for Bryan's and Sourena's suggestions : would love a section that would pull content from a category or tag with customizable styling, as well as the ability to create new category, tag ... template pages (from within admin). @Andrew : has what Santi was after been implemented in version 1.2.1? Thx

#18 studio2

studio2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

I'll chime in on this thread - I use the category and "archive" function to manage content in many of the sites we build. I am giving PageLines a try - always interested in good design - and the missing element would be some way to select a "template" for the archive view - tricky to do a work around on this but I think you guys can code this into your template system - along with "defaul""highlight" and other templates for pages, you could add a "category" template to manage this archive view. Thanks for the nice work.