Photo
- - - - -

Modifying BNS Featured Category plugin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:43 AM

Okay, I cleaned your code up, fingers crossed, let 'er rip:

body{
background:#000 url("http://www.fluteofshame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1179032744-949-0.jpg");
color:#fff;
line-height:20px;
font-size:14px}

#nav ul, #nav .mnav{width:549px}

#site #contentborder{background:none}

#sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry{
background:none;
border-top:2px solid #222222;
clear:both;
overflow:hidden;
padding:1px;
padding-left:10px}

#sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry strong{
font-size:13px;
font-weight:normal;
text-shadow:none}

Thanks, Bryan

#22 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:19 AM

Bryan, I just received a code that worked from the plugin developer, I'm adding it here in case it helps someone else. I added this:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

to the custom css and that did the trick. Thanks for your patience with this and my other issues! :-)

#23 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:23 AM

Ah, it's always the little things. Might as well use the optimized CSS though just changing the bottom:

body{
background:#000 url("http://www.fluteofshame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1179032744-949-0.jpg");
color:#fff;
line-height:20px;
font-size:14px}

#nav ul, #nav .mnav{width:549px}

#site #contentborder{background:none}

#sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry{
background:none;
border-top:2px solid #222222;
clear:both;
overflow:hidden;
padding:1px;
padding-left:10px}

.bns-featured-category strong a{font-weight:normal}

Thanks, Bryan

#24 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

I did this before receiving your reply, bust I've just tested your code and it works as well. :-) The plugin font size can be removed in both cases, as its now the same size as the rest of it without specifying the size. Thanks again!

#25 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:30 AM

Changed the bottom line as well, looks perfect.

#26 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:33 AM

Good to hear. Thanks, Bryan

#27 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Hi, revisiting the subject above. I would like to display a different sidebar on the category pages (the main pages 'News' and the individual blogs and their subpages), apparetly just changing the sidebar setting for one page in the category does the trick, so no problem there. I've chosen the secondary sidebar for the category pages, and the problem is the formatting of the BNS Featured Category plugin is lost there, so obviously I need to add something to the custom css to make it work. I suppose it's just some simple modification of the original code (above), I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions? Thanks again. :-)

#28 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hey Jaana - I just took a look

. However, I can't seem to see the issue. Could you explain a little more, please?

#29 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Kate, at the moment I have the same sidebar on all the pages because I'm not able to change the appearance of the plugin if I place it in ay other sidebar than the default one. What I mean is, I would like to have a different sidebar (the secondary sidebar, say) on the news and blog pages but if I change the sidebar, the appearance of the plugin is changed to its default, which doesn't fit very well with the theme. On the default sidebar the plugin appearance has been changed using the code below, so now I would need to be able to the same with the other sidebars, or one of them, as well. The code that was used to change it on the default sidebar was ` #sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry{ background:none; border-top:2px solid #222222; clear:both; overflow:hidden; padding:1px; padding-left:10px} .bns-featured-category strong a{font-weight:normal} ` so it could be as simple as replacing the `#sidebar` with something else, I just don't know what that would be for the secondary sidebar, for example.

#30 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:43 AM

I think you're right, I think there are different ID's for the different sidebars. I want you to check out:

It'll show you how to dig into the code easily to find what you need and will save you a lot of time in the future with customizations. Thanks, Bryan

#31 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

It's a great tool but unfortunately doesn't help me at all in finding out the id of the secondary sidebar. All I get when clicking on the secondary sidebar is 'sidebar' and 'widgets'. Still it's obvious it has to be a different id as the default sidebar code doesn't affect the secondary sidebar. Was rather hoping you would know...

#32 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:05 AM

New thread time, if one is called for.

#33 andulka

andulka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

Sorry, continued it here as I thought it would be simpler to have it in the same thread, as we're still talking about the same thing, changing the appearance of the plugin on a sidebar, albeit a secondary one. The FireBug mention rather lead it off the original subject, I think... :-)

#34 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Does the plugin come with some sort of CSS file?