Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modifying BNS Featured Category plugin

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm using the BNS Featured Category plugin to display recent posts from specific categories on the sidebar here. As you can see, it doesn't quite match the theme and I would like to be able to change it to look the same as the News, Links etc. Apparently it uses the style of the theme's 'posts' and the author has responded to a similar question by: 'You will need to add element(s) that reference the plugin content more specifically'. Which says pretty much nothing to me. :-) I will ask the author but I doubt he would go into much detail, so I was wondering if you'd be able to point me to the right direction or, alternatively, is there some other way to display the recent posts from spesicic categories with the author's name on the sidebar?

33 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Let's try updating it to: ` #sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry strong{ font-size:13px; font-weight:normal; text-shadow:none} ` Other than that I'm not sure, that plugin definitely seems to be throwing it's own styles in the mix. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

Hmm, can you please paste your Custom CSS top to bottom exactly how it is now in a post, please put backticks ` around it. I need to examine your CSS for problems. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

Hi Jaana, I'm back. Let's try a little trick shall we. By the way, the post titles there are set to bold, good thing because we can use that to change them; `#sidebar #bns-featured-category-3 .hentry strong{font-size:15px}` Play with 15. Thanks, Bryan

Posted · Report post

It's a great tool but unfortunately doesn't help me at all in finding out the id of the secondary sidebar. All I get when clicking on the secondary sidebar is 'sidebar' and 'widgets'. Still it's obvious it has to be a different id as the default sidebar code doesn't affect the secondary sidebar. Was rather hoping you would know...

Posted · Report post

Thanks Eric, but still not quite sure how to change that only for the title texts in the Recent blog entries, for example 'Religion and retail'. Obviously I need to add something to the custom code mentioned above, but nothing I've added there so far has produced any change to the appearance of that particular text (or any text, for that matter) :-)

Posted · Report post

Sorry, continued it here as I thought it would be simpler to have it in the same thread, as we're still talking about the same thing, changing the appearance of the plugin on a sidebar, albeit a secondary one. The FireBug mention rather lead it off the original subject, I think... :-)

Posted · Report post

Here's a variation of Eric's solution:

h2 a:link {
	font-style: italic;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: 30px;
	font-family: arial, sans-serif;
	}

If that doesn't work and nothing is being changed when the custom code is edited, then perhaps there's a problem with the custom code itself...

Posted · Report post

New thread time, if one is called for.