Photo
- - - - -

bbPress install questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:47 PM

First, let me say that I know that this is a bbPress question, but Andrew has created a video on the installation which I was trying to follow. I want to make sure that I understand a point in the video: Do we have to use a different db prefix from the db prefix used in the wordpress install ?

#2 ericmyers

ericmyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:34 AM

Tom,

bbPress can share user data with an existing WordPress installation. All you need to do is specify the location of that database on installation or afterwards in the ???WordPress Integration??? section of the ???Settings??? area in your bbPress admin.

We're always here if you need anything else...

#3 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:54 AM

I understand that, but the video does not state whether or not to use the same db prefix, and my install isn't working well so I'm trying to start with the basics. Is it ok to use the same db prefix for bbPress, that I set up for wordPress ?

#4 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

sorry - a bit more detail. when I try to install bbPress, after installing buddyPress successfully btw), I am trying to use the same database parameters as I used for wordPress. Is that ok ? Do I need to use a different db prefix ?

#5 ericmyers

ericmyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:58 AM

Tom, It is fine to use the same DB prefix for bbPress that you set up for WordPress... What is not working well?

#6 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:51 AM

Eric, I should have taken notes... Will try it again tomorrow and write down the details. Thanks for your help.

#7 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Tom, I had this very same dilemma and I know where you've gone wrong. For some unknown reason here at Pagelines that isn't clear in the documentation and its easy to get confused. What you aren't being told is that you don't need to install bbPress at ALL. BuddyPress has bbPress in it and all you need to do is activate it. I went to the bbPress forum to post the question and was not welcomed warmly. Next I posted the question at Buddypress and learned the error of my ways from a kind and knowledgeable moderator. Mind you, the BuddyPress version of bbPress is rather bare bones and there is a learning curve to customize it after you get it runnng but life is simpler if you use that part of BuddyPress and don't use another bbPress installation. I have the same username in the BuddyPress forum if you choose to look up my posts.

#8 pcgs

pcgs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Sorry about that I believe my username in the BuddyPress forum is pcgs51

#9 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I'd rather have a complete version of bbPress installed though.

I was just able to 'install' bbPress, but I get an SQL error. These are the exact steps:
1. download bbPress and place the bbPress folder in my wordpress folder (the folder with wp-config.php, etc.)
2. renamed the folder to 'forum' and made it R-W
3. using my browser I went to http:/my-url.com/forum
4. this started the bbPress installer. so far, so good !
5. step 1- enter the database info (db name, user, password, host) and I used the same table name prefix as the wordpress table name prefix
6. saved. so far, so good !
7. step 2- click on 'Add integration settings', then click on 'cookie integration settings', using the same values that I have in wp-config.php for my wordpress install. Next, click on 'user database settings', and enter the same user database table name prefix as in step 1, which is the same as the wordpress table name prefix. I left MU primary empty, and left the advanced database settings blank.
8. saved. again, so far, so good !
9. step 3- added the site name 'forum', 1st forum name. the Key master username is the same as my wordpress admin name. It would not let me enter another value.
10. saved. I get the message 'install complete with minor errors'. Looking at the log, I have sql errors:
SQL ERROR!
>>> Database: RC3 (El-Jefe)
>>>>>> ALTER TABLE `skbeta_posts` ADD COLUMN `post_id` bigint(20) NOT NULL auto_increment;
>>>>>> Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key
SQL ERROR!
>>> Database: RC3 (El-Jefe)
>>>>>> ALTER TABLE `skbeta_posts` ADD PRIMARY KEY (`post_id`);
>>>>>> Key column 'post_id' doesn't exist in table

question - is this ok ? If I have done anything incorrectly, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

#10 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

There is 1 problem - when I try to go to the wordpress admin page, I get this message: 'You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.' Therefore, something is definitely wrong. Should I have added another member to wordpress, besides the admin, before I installed bbPress ? Or should I use a different table name prefix ? It's probably 1 or the other.

#11 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

pcgs51, I read your posts on the BuddyPress forum, and now am even more confused... It seems that, if I have a separate install of bbPress, that the advantage is that I have a site-wide forum, but the con is that I will have duplicate posts for buddypress forums, and that I must use custom code to filter the group forum from the site-wide forum. If I activate bbPress inside BuddyPress, then I have a forum for each specific group. Am I understanding this correctly ?

#12 tsktom

tsktom

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:33 AM

I figured out the problem !!! Step 5 described above was the primary problem. I should have used a different database name prefix and the database name prefix that I used for wordpress. Everything else remained the same. Now I have 'single sign-on'. Onward thru the fog ! My next step then is the deep integration. Thanks everyone for chipping in to help.