Photo
- - - - -

Incomprehensible Sidebar Settings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 arasmus

arasmus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

I want to achieve something very simple and I've spent quite some time trying to work through the PageLines thought-process. I'm using the PageLine Platform Pro. I have a single sidebar on the right hand-side. When you first arrive at the site, and the initial page containing excerpt posts on the left, I want a Twitter Stream to show on that page, and when you click through to see a full blog post I want the side-bar at that point to not display Tweets but to the display Archives and Categories widgets. I want Archives and Categories to only be displayed beside full length blog-posts. Let me know if you know how to do this.

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

Have you used the widgets? Read through and commented on the docs?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 arasmus

arasmus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

The precise problem with the Sidebars-Widgets documentation is this sentence: "For the pages you??™d like to set to use the Secondary Sidebar, mark this in the Page Options in the Page Editor." The webpage that shows excerpts from blog entries (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)and the webpages with full blog entries do not appear as "pages" so I have no Page Editor, and therefore no Page Options that I can use to adjust whether or not sidebars should appear. Inn anticipation of using PageLines, I recently imported my old blog from Wordpress.com to Wordpress.org. I'd like the webpage showing blog excerpts and the webpages showing full blog entries to be pages if this is necessary to have the required control.

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hi arasmus, Sorry for the confusion, you should also have options on posts as well. If it still is a no go I'll try to write a manual solution. Thanks, Bryan

#5 arasmus

arasmus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Bryan, Today's my third day trying to understand the logic of this framework. You say "you should also have options on posts as well." OK that can mean 1 of 2 things. The first is that you are talking about Platform Pro Theme Options>Blog and Posts. Checked there, nothing relating to sidebar control except Posts Page Content Layout. I've selected that to show "One sidebar on the right." Problem continues. Second possibility is that you mean Platform Pro Options>Template Setup>Sidebar 1 and to change the advanced settings for Primary and Secondary Sidebars to either show or not show on Posts Pages. First of all, Pagelines frequently uses undefined terms throughout its documentation. I am going to assume here that when Pagelines says "Posts Pages" it means a page with a full blog entry on it. (I am not certain of this because there is only one post and not multiple posts on those pages - perhaps Pagelines means the Excerpts page when they use the term Posts Pages - why do I have to guess about this?) Assuming Pagelines means a full blog post by the term "Posts Pages," I then ensure that the Primary Sidebar (containing my Twitter widget) is not selected to "Show on Posts Pages" and that my Archives and Categories widgets are selected to Show On Posts Pages. The result is that the Primary Sidebar does not show up on the excerpts page, the Secondary Sidebar does show up on the excerpts page and the full blog posts page is completely empty. Problem Continues. So now I have to go back to my Primary and Secondary Sidebar Advanced Settings and try and imagine what Pagelines means by Posts Pages, because since there was no change to the Blog Entry pages, they must not mean that, but instead they must mean the excerpts page. In that case, I will want to ensure that the Primary Sidebar is selected to Show on Posts Pages and the Secondary Sidebar is not selected to be hidden by default (so that it will show up on those full bog post pages) and that the box for Show on Posts Pages is un-ticked (because I don't want it to show up on the excerpts page. The result is that now, the Primary and the Secondary Sidebar show up on the excerpts page (so now I have no idea what Pagelines means when it uses the term Posts Pages) and the full blog posts page continues to be completely empty even though I have expressly changed a setting that relates to that page. This is getting ridiculous.

#6 arasmus

arasmus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

#7 arasmus

arasmus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

@Bryan - did you do something? It's working now but I need to understand why. For example what does Pagelines mean by "Posts Page" and is the initial splash page containing excerpts meant to be a "page" within Wordpress thereby affording page-level control?

#8 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

I apologize for the frustration and miscommunication.

Okay, that's good to hear the problem resolved itself, no I do not have access to edit your website.

I'll break down the clarification a bit. Pages and posts work similarly, but of course have differences.

When I say editing an individual page or post what I mean is when you're logged into your WordPress admin look at the main vertical menu on the left you'll see tabs;

Dashboard
Links
etc...

Now, in that menu is Posts and Pages - when you click on one of those tabs you can add/edit individuals posts and pages.

Now, when editing an individual post or page if you scroll the page down you'll find many other options and checkboxes to discover for specific handling of just that page or post.

So "page-level" or "post-level" control means you can control pages and posts one by one. Then when you're in your theme options like "Blogs And Post" that is to control pages and posts site-wide across all of them.

I hope this makes sense. I'm here if you need me.

Thanks, Bryan