Photo
- - - - -

Catchable Fatal Error with Menus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 slocumstudio

slocumstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hello everyone, It's my understanding that pagelines uses the WP menus system. After installing & my pagelines pro theme settings, I tried to click on Menus (under the appearance tab) in order to re-arrange my navigation. When I do so, I receive the following error and am unable to move forward. ------- Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/mattrepo/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 433 --------- When I uninstall the theme, I'm able to go in and alter the menu as desired... it's only when pagelines pro is activated that Menus breaks. I've also inactivated all the plugins to see if any of them were the cause, but nothing changes - it's strictly the theme causing the problem. After re-uploading a fresh formatting.php file, the error still prevails. Any help is appreciated!

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

That is strange because those are both a WordPress file and class. Does it work with other themes?

#3 slocumstudio

slocumstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

When I disable the PageLines Pro Theme and activate the default TwentyTen Theme the menu system works fine. I know, it is pretty strange, that's why I'm coming to the pros! haha

#4 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

@Matt Hmmm.... Since it's not an error others are reporting, my guess is it's an isolated incident. Just brainstorming here, it may be a stab but I'm thinking it's possible that one or more of your theme files were unzipped or edited incorrectly, perhaps resulting in characters not being translated properly. (This isn't an error on your part... just possibly the way the file were handled. For instance, normal characters being changed into their

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

counterpart.) Just a thought, but you may try uploading a fresh version of the Pro Theme. Save off your current theme somewhere, and then re-unzip the full theme, and try that out.

Let us know how it goes!

#5 slocumstudio

slocumstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Actually, what I did was save export the Pagelines pro settings, export my wordpress settings, and re-installed wordpress. The menu system now works properly! Hooowever, after I re-uploaded the pageline theme I was working with, its settings I had exported, and the wordpress settings, I'm finding that the pagelines pro theme settings really weren't saved at all. the custom css I added is gone, along with the entire template setup, boxes, features, etc. This is pretty frustrating. What exactly does exporting the pageline settings include? Can you direct me to a page that outlines what the export covers?

#6 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

Since you say Export I assume you are using PlatformPro. Really, you should be able to export your settings and then import. It should be that simple. Have you lost all setting completely and they are not recoverable. You might want to open up your exported file and first see if your settings are still in there and intact, and if you have run into a strange issue where you can't properly import those settings... other than manually copying and pasting them back into the theme options I'm not sure. Thanks, Bryan

#7 slocumstudio

slocumstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Bryan, Yes, I'm using Platform Pro. I checked out the .DAT export file as you suggested. All the settings are there. When I upload them though, nothing changes from the default settings. Has this happened to anyone else before?

#8 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

Can you make a few changes and re-test the export file? No one else has reported this, no.

#9 slocumstudio

slocumstudio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:09 AM

Sorry for the delay. The project was put down for a little while. No matter what is done to the exported file doesn't take hold when uploaded. I even exported the settings from one domain and uploaded them to another WP installation on another server, under another domain name. I also made sure to change the absolute URL references in the settings .dat file... I ensured all the new image references worked... but alas, when uploaded nothing took hold... not even the social media addresses.