filtering thumbnail square

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 181 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hello, I have tried to force Filtering to display square thumbnails of the featured image, but so far I have not been blessed with success. Is there a way to do this that you could think of? I went through the different options in "Select Thumb Size" but I could not get the thumbs in Filtering to ever change their aspect ration (though in Settings/Media/Media Settings/Image Size I have selected to "crop thumbnail to exact dimensions" of 150% (and various other sizes, all square). 

#2 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 338 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

@caspersjan Yep, it's not you, it's me...filtering is still picking up the full image size, thus not the cropped thumbnail. Let me investigate further, fix it and push and update.

I'll let you know when to look for the update in your wp-admin.

Best,

Ellen

#3 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 181 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Dear Ellen, thank you very much. I don't think I would have managed to sort this out, even though I have come a long way since first I started using Filtering. Of course the square thumbnail question is minor - everything will look neater once it is solved. On the whole Filtering has always been wonderful. Thank you for making and maintaining it, all for the benefit of the likes of me and the colleagues who use the site! Yours faithfully, Jan.

• batman likes this

#4 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 338 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Dear Ellen, thank you very much. I don't think I would have managed to sort this out, even though I have come a long way since first I started using Filtering. Of course the square thumbnail question is minor - everything will look neater once it is solved. On the whole Filtering has always been wonderful. Thank you for making and maintaining it, all for the benefit of the likes of me and the colleagues who use the site! Yours faithfully, Jan.

Actually not so minor of an issue when it comes to loading speed because right now it is loading the full size image and then sizing it. When I get the image sizes function working properly the proper size will load and will help with loading times.

Should have the update this weekend.

Thanks for the kind words, I have plans to update Filtering, taking more advantage of what PageLines has included in DMS for developers. I'll be asking users for feedback, what they would like to see, etc.

May start a forum post to collect suggestions, how people are using Filtering and how to make it better.

Best,

Ellen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#5 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 181 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Dear Ellen, wonderful. I have a few suggestions - chiefly the option to stipulate what exactly is written underneath the thumbnail. At present it's the post title and excerpt. It would be powerful if instead of the excerpt I could enter a short text (like a subheading) underneath the title. I use Filtering for directories - of librarians. The post title is the name, that works well (though I'd love to be able to define a line break. I have tried for the past year to find a solution but it seems Wordpress strips out any HTML or whatever else I can throw at it to make a line break from post titles). But the libraries have names of different length - three words, four words, two words. Thus if I want to write more in the post (to show up upon clicking it) it gets confusing. I'd love a box where I could enter the "subheading", or a shortcode that would define what part of the post content is included in Filtering...

Again, thanks for putting so much care into the plugin. I look forward to an even brighter filtered future! Yours faithfully, Jan.

#6 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 338 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

@caspersjan Thanks for feedback. Don't know if you have seen this plugin, Subtitles. It might work out of the box with Filtering because it works on the_title being called but can't say for sure. If it doesn't and you do like that plugin, I can look at making it work.

I may not get you an update for the image sizes till Monday, off to WordCamp Boston this weekend. Will keep you posted though when to look for update.

Best,

Ellen

#7 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 181 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Dear Ellen, accidentally I worked out how to determine what's written in the excerpt, independent to the post content. So my immediate feature request has already been answered! I use Formidable Pro to allow people to upload information that is then turned into posts which are presented with Filtering. And yesterday I worked out that Formidable Pro can provide an extra text field that then goes to populate the post excerpt. It even allows for HTML line breaks (which I have been trying to achieve in the post title for the past year, unsuccessfully). This is great news indeed - now I can make Filtering into anything I want, really! I could use it for my collection of historic clothes pegs (post title: name. Post excerpt: first line the date, second line the country of origin), for the librarians for whom I make the website I am actually working on (post title: name. Post excerpt: first line the library, second line the town). Happy days! Maybe I should make a little tutorial, in the fulness of time - as everything I know about matters Wordpress I know thanks to the generosity of tutorials, or forums such as these.

Two other points of possible improvement came to mind (though I'll probably figure them out too in the end):

Point 1: I have not been able to address the gutter between rows. I'd like to reduce it but cannot find a way to do so, CSS or otherwise. You can see it here: http://animatinglibr...ess/?page_id=35

Point 2: It would be another great addition to the functionality if the post would open in a lightbox. Especially if Filtering is used for an archive, a catalogue, a directory etc.. Again that is not really related to Filtering and there must be a way to figure it out, but if it were a case of ticking a box ("Open post in lightbox") that would be very helpful to me.

Just two suggestions. I for now am very happy that I can control the excerpt and make things happen! Thank you for your patience and for Filtering.

Yours faithfully, Jan.

#8 caspersjan

caspersjan

• Members

• 181 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Dear Ellen, discovering things and working out problems always puts me in a good mood and I am on a roll, rejigging all my Filterings. Please let me know as soon as possible when you have worked out the thumbnail riddle. Thank you! Yours faithfully, Jan.

#9 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 338 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

@caspersjan I love solving problems too, great skill for web design/web development. On that note, I have the function worked out for the image sizes, just need to test and make sure things are working properly.

Should have the update out by end of week.

Glad you worked out the adding extra information to excerpt area in Filtering by using Formidable Pro. People love tutorials on how to solve problems. If you do, I can add it as a resource with the Filtering documentation. I would love to feature some use cases of Filtering.

Thanks for the suggestions. The gutter space I plan on adding as an option, let me see if I can get you a function so you can do it before version 2 of Filtering.

The lightbox one is interesting, could be a modal too. Again, maybe not an option but an easy way to add a function to child theme or custom functionality plugin to make it happen. 

I'll let you know when update ready.

Best,

Ellen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filtering, filtering, thumbnail, square