Question

Posted · Report post

Hello all,

I have been trying to set up a multisite network for independent shop owners to sell hand-crafted goods (similar to Etsy however a niche market). Here is what I have been trying to do.

• Set PinsPro as the default Wordpress Theme for all new sites
  • Customize the PinsPro so every new site would be branded for my company & only load a set number of templates for the end user.
  • Lockdown specific sections of the visual editor so the user can only change templates and CANNOT add new sections(if possible)

Each store owner would essentially be able to sign up via web form for free and have instant access to their shop. I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to simplify the process for new users.

ANY constructive feedback and help is greatly appreciated. My site is currently password protected.

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

My apologies for the delayed response. I am just curious to any common issues when configuring the DMS Toolbar. It is my understanding that I can lockdown the toolbar however I am not able to limit access to specific sections. For example, If I only want the user to be able to customize the header. I appreciate the assistance and when I have further questions. I will be sure to ask.

Cheers,

AG 

Posted · Report post

You can set a default theme via wp-config.php

/* Default theme */
define('WP_DEFAULT_THEME', 'dms');

I would suggest creating a child theme and making that the default theme, and then hide pinspro..

In the child theme you could somehow disable the editor or certain parts of it using a system of wordpress filters.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will use your instructions to set the default theme.

It was my understanding that because PinsPro is a  "Core" theme that I would not need to create a child theme. Is this only true for single site installs? Since I am using this for a multisite install, is this the reason for creating a child theme? (if so, it makes sense to me. I just want to clarify and better understand the reasoning).

Can you clarify what you mean by "hide pinspro" are you saying to hide the theme (Appearance > Themes)? I would like the end user to have access to several templates in the "Page Setup" area for minimal customization. I can also disable unneeded sections (see attachment) and save to child theme so when setting the default child theme they will only have access to those sections, is this correct? Or would it be better to create the child theme and only included the needed sections?

Are you able to elaborate on your last comment regarding filters? Would this be a good use for "Hooker"?

Edited by MobileParity

Posted · Report post

Lots of questions here...

It was my understanding that because PinsPro is a  "Core" theme that I would not need to create a child theme. Is this only true for single site installs?

No you dont need to create a child theme, but you will need to if you want to override the pinspro theme. A child theme inherits all a parent themes settings.

Can you clarify what you mean by "hide pinspro" are you saying to hide the theme (Appearance > Themes)? I would like the end user to have access to several templates in the "Page Setup" area for minimal customization.

In WordPress multisite, the network administrator can enable/disable themes for the network, so here you would make the child theme available to your users. The child theme would use the original pinspro theme as its parent theme but the end user will not be able to activate pinspro on its own.

I can also disable unneeded sections (see attachment) and save to child theme so when setting the default child theme they will only have access to those sections, is this correct? Or would it be better to create the child theme and only included the needed sections?

Didn't get an attachment, please use an image host like imgur for screenshots etc.
You cant disable sections from a child theme, best case here would be to delete the ones you dont the users to use. Or filter them out based on site IDs.
See filters reply below**

Are you able to elaborate on your last comment regarding filters? Would this be a good use for "Hooker"?

All the options and tabs that appear in the DMS editor area are controlled by a massive settigs array which is passed through a WP filter before rendering the toolbar.

So you could create a custom filter to manipulate this data in a way you see fit**

Hooker uses WordPress actions not filters, they are separate things entirely.

An action does something at a specific point.

A filter take data changes it and returns it back.

http://wpcandy.com/teaches/how-to-use-wordpress-hooks/#.U_UBgLxdUs4

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you! This has given me a great start to configuring the DMS Toolbar. Is there anything I should be wary of when configuring the filters for the child theme?

Cheers,

AG

Edited by MobileParity

Posted · Report post

Thank you! This has given me a great start to configuring the DMS Toolbar. Is there anything I should be wary of when configuring the filters for the child theme?

Cheers,

AG

I am not entirely sure what you're referring to. Therefore, would it be possible to go into greater detail please.