Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DMS 2 How are templates intended to be used?

Question

Posted · Report post

Still getting the hang of DMS. Shouldn't take this long.

• Have read the docs (http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/using-templates basically says create a page then click to make it a template; useless)

• Have searched the forums, read a bunch of threads even.

• Have previously disabled all other plugins, both of them.

• www.frankreviphotography.com

• DMS 2.1.4

• WP 3.9.1

• Host ipower.com

What's the intended workflow for using templates please?

When I think "template", I think

- create a template

- create pages starting with the template

- to change a template, you have to enable or go to the template-editing world

- when you change the template, all pages with the template show the changes

- when you change a page, you can't change the parts of it that are controlled by the template

How shall I understand templates in the DMS world?  thx

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen that when you edit a page created with a template, you actually edit that page, the template itself, and all other pages created with the template. Unless you unlock the template. If you do that, and then modify the template, the template changes are not reflected in the page from  which you unlocked the template. Do I have that wrong, or is your template logic completely counterintuitive? If there were use cases involved with coming up with that logic, could you post those so I can reformat my brain please?

Every time I change something that's supposed to go on all pages (which is my idea of what a template does) I turn it into a new template because I have the problem of the topic about cutting off the revise topic option at the top and the posted solution didn't work for me)

5 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Anyhow I think we're on the same page, so to speak.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Firstly, our documentation is currently being reviewed and worked on, as you mentioned it is currently not up to scratch.

To create a template, go to a page and create your layout, this means adding sections into the position of your choice and configure them, then save it as a template. You can then go to other pages and assign this template. You can bulk assign templates via the WordPress Admin Dashboard > pages.

However, please bear in mind that the Fixed, Header and Footer template areas are global template areas, this means that whatever you add to them will be universal throughout your site.

Also, if you unlink a template this means that you have assigned a template to that page and wish to use that template as a base, but also wish to configure it slightly so that it is different in some aspect, this could be how a section or sections are configured or you wish to change the layout slightly.

Posted · Report post

Super, that's helpful.

It would be really great if the template itself didn't change when the content of the page changes. My understanding is that's the whole reason for CSS - to decouple the content of a document from its layout. Just a thought.

Anyhow, now that I've finally got my head wrapped around that, I can take it into account as I move ahead.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

I am not sure what you mean by if the template didn't change itself when the content of the pages changes ?

Also, CSS is a style sheet language used for describing the look and formatting of a document written in a markup language. Basically, it makes your web page look pretty.

Posted · Report post

Sorry for the sassy tone in my post. I also wasn't clear. It's basically an observation and suggestion.

I think CSS is intended to not just make pages pretty, but consistent (layout), and when you change the CSS, it changes all the pages (so, not content). It decouples page format from content.

In DMS, It seems that by default every page starts entirely as a template integrating both layout (formatting) and content, and when I put content into a page, all other pages with that template get that content; e.g., if I put a title into a text box section, by default that title replaces the title in all the other pages. For every page, I have to first unlock the section if I want its content to not propagate. I find that counterintuitive. What if I then want to change the layout of a bunch of pages that have been unlocked from their template? Am I missing something?

That was my question: is your intended use case: "first, create a page and save the whole thing as a template; then use that to create each unique content page, but remember to unlock it from the template before committing the changes"?

Would it make sense to create templates separately from content? The use case then becomes: first, create a template. Then create a page from that template and add content; save the page. Simple. Also the DMS UI would sync with the intent of the HTML/CSS relationship.

Thanks.