Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DMS 2 When must columns be used?

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm having problems with dragging sections to where I want them.

Do I need to have columns underneath the sections? I've searched the docs but don't find the answer.

I'm trying to display an 8 column Highlight next to a 4 column primary sidebar but no matter what I do the sidebar won't line up there. This should be a 5 minute task but has taken me 45 minutes and still doesn't work. Very frustrating! 

The other option is to use a 12 column Highlight (which doesn't require a column underneath) and then place an 8 column ibox and 4 column primary sidebar together but I still can't get the sidebar to go there. It moves all over the page but not where I want it. 

Should I just forget the columns?

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

If you click once on any of the sections it will give you a brief description of what that section is. Anyway, the Canvas section is a full width section that can be used to house content width sections such as a Masthead, Hero etc.. The Canvas section comes with some cool options such as background color, background image and so forth. Which can be used to create multiple sections with different colors or background images.

Posted · Report post

Are you setting the width of the iBox Columns in the ibox settings?

Posted · Report post

yes, to 8. I've produced websites using DMS before and the drag and drop worked pretty well. But this time it's very difficult. The dragging goes all over the page and is difficult to drop. I absolutely cannot get the 4 column Primary sidebar to drop where it should.

I should drag and drop the Section first, right? and then add the Columns?

Are there detailed instructions somewhere? I sure don't see them anywhere.

Posted · Report post

I'm a little confused by what you are asking but here is my approach.

I add the canvas, then add the columns, then add the components to the columns.  I do this because I like the padding the columns provide on the edges (particularly on mobile).  However, you don't have to add columns at all I don't think.  

I'd recommend, clearing cache, logging out and log back in...see if that clears the issue.  Do you have a plugin that you don't normally use causing issue?  Just ideas.

Posted · Report post

Like jMad, I am not entirely sure what you're asking or having difficulty with. If you want to have a two column layout, simply drag and drop the two column section to your template, then increase/decrease each of the columns width so you have one at 8/12 and one at 4/12. Then add your sections to each of the columns. I have just this moment done the very same thing on my test site without any issue.

If this isn't possible for you then like Jmad mentioned, you will probably want to disable all active plugins, clear your cache etc... and see if this resolves your issue.

Posted · Report post

Oh wow! I needed a 2 column section? I was using a 1 column. Ugh! Now I have it working right. Thank you so very much!

One last question. What's a canvas? Is it another word in DMS2 for Sections?

Posted · Report post

Yes, I read what it says but your explanation is better. I'll experiment with it. Thanks again.