#1 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 893 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

So if I use a DMS child theme like PinsPro and then still want to customize via the Skeleton child theme will that still work the same as just using the Core DMS theme?

#2 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2159 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hi @jmad

No, I can read this in the read.md

A simple child theme for PageLines DMS 1.x and 2.x, containing nothing, but the bare bone (no pun intended) files. The idea behind Skeleton is to provide you to have an insanely basic child theme for which you can build upon. 

And i made some test and this don´t work, you can take a look to this

http://codex.wordpre...rg/Child_Themes

#3 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 893 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Okay.  So I can't use PinsPro and then still use the Skeleton to customize but would need to do any customization in the PinsPro child theme?  Wouldn't updates be lost?

#4 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2159 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Mmmm @jmad

I´m not sure, but always the Child Theme is better on the updates.

I made a own child and this work fine for me using 

http://codex.wordpre...rg/Child_Themes

http://screencast.com/t/FWNA4PBxPN

Perhaps you can make a test with your own Child Theme.

;)

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

The PinsPro theme is a core theme, exactly the same as DMS and iBlogPro 6, so you can use Skeleton with it. All you will need to do is download a fresh copy and in the style.css file, change the following:

Template: dms

to 

Template: pinspro

That tag tells WordPress that the theme is a child theme for Template: X

• batman and jmad like this

#6 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 893 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks.

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

No problem.

#8 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 893 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:33 AM

One more question on this.  Where should Skeleton go if you are using the DMS theme and were should it go if you are using a child them like PinsPro or iBlogPro?  I'm talking in the file structure (sftp).

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Skeleton is a child theme so it goes in the themes folder like any other child theme. 

#10 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 893 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

So I had the child theme sort of worked out in DMS1 but now I'm trying to make sense of this in DMS2.  I've been looking at the file structure and just want to make sure I under correctly.  First, Danny you should put a donate button on the Skeleton download page.  Second, we are free to rebrand that and use for any purpose, correct?

Questions...sorry if these are basic but I'm just making sure I have this correct.

-Why is Masthead included for a section? Just as a sample?

-Less>variables.less can be changed to what I need if I want to change other less items say for modals should I copy the .less file from the CoreDMStheme, paste to Skeleton and make changes?  

-In the CoreDMS, there is a forms.less what does that effect as there aren't forms in DMS...does what it is in there impact plugins like contact7 in anyway?

-If I want to change the less of a Section should I copy the section from DMSCore to Skeleton and then adjust the .less or can I just adjust the .less in the style.less folder in skeleton.  Which is the best method...either way work?

-the Skeleton will override the Core, but Custom CSS in the "Custom CSS" area of DMS will override Skeleton...correct?  

And I'm sure this is a stupid question but why do the readme and style.less file show as executable when the file is unloaded on desktop?  I can view them using text edit or in Transmit.  

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Jmad, Skeleton literally took me 2seconds to create, therefore, I feel it doesn't warrant a donate button, as I wouldn't be happy taking peoples money for something that took no time at all. However, I appreciate the suggestion.

In regards to rebranding Skeleton, you're free to do whatever you like, the website gives instructions on how to do this - http://dannyholt.git.../skeleton/help/

1. Masthead is included as a sample to demonstrate that you can copy a sections folder for example Hero and place it into the Skeletons sections directory and this will override the core Hero section, like the included Masthead does. it is nothing more than a sample, you're free to remove it if you like.

2. If you want to override the default .less (styling of DMS), then you copy and paste the .less file you wish to override into the less directory in Skeleton.

3. The forms.less file is there for default forms, such as ones you may add yourself. I highly doubt it will impact on a plugin such as Contact Form 7, as that will likely include its own styles.

4. If you want to change the less styling of a section, then you can do it either you mentioned. However, if you do it via the sections folder via the skeletons section folder you're basically editing that sections default styling. Where as if you add it to the style.less file in skeleton you're overriding the default styling. I would use the former personally.

5. Custom CSS in the DMS toolbar will override everything, including a child theme such as Skeleton.

No files in skeleton should show as an .exe file, this is likely cause by your file types settings on your OS. You will want to assign those files to open in a code editor such as Sublime Text or Atom.

#12 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 893 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Great.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Child Theme, Skeleton