#3 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 978 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

I just like to have it as a section that I could use in any DMS theme without having to install PinsPro.  Same for the iSlider from iBlog Theme.  I don't know if these are coming from Pagelines or third-party devs but being able to swap those easily without having to install a child theme and swap them about and worry about any updates would be great.  

I'm having a text flow issue with RevSlider that scrollSlider seems not to have  (although I would like to Resolve the RevSlider issue so I can use all the other extras it has...when needed).  

http://forum.pagelin...-text-overflow/

I was just about to start another thread but it's in the same realm...in my account I end up with PinsPro, PinsPro (PSDs) and PinsPro(Dev Plugin)...does each child theme require it's own Dev Tools plugin?  It doesn't seem to from the areas I've checked.

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Well you could simply create a blank plugin with a sections folder and put all your fav sections in there.

The dev plugin is the exact same plugin, just means you have access to the zip via that product.

#5 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 978 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

I'm still learning the Dev side of things...  So, I create the plugin folder via FTP and load them in that way...or is there a way actually in DMS to export the section...  

Will doing it that way mean if one of the sections in a specific theme is updated and I'm using the section but not theme I'll have to manually update?

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Create a new folder in the plugins folder 'jmad-sections' for example...

Then create a php file in that folder, jmad-sections.php and add the following to it:

<?php
/*
Plugin Name: JMADS Sections
PageLines: true
*/

Next create a sections folder in the plugin folder and add your sections into it. Then activate it.

And yes, its your sections folder, you will need to update it yourself.

• raylonet likes this

#7 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 978 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

Or I could just drop them into the Skeleton child theme sections folder...correct?  Either way, it's the updates that make it tricky when handing it over to a client...I'd much rather see them as sections that I can just install and update via the Pagelines updater.  

Maybe the sections could be one of the free club tools?  I understand if they are from a 3rdparty dev that might not work.  Oh well, DMS2 is really turning into an excellent Framework to build on. 

So is it a bad idea to remove sections from the DMS Theme if you aren't going to use them?  

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

You could just copy the scroll slider sections folder and add it to the section folder in your child theme or use the method Simon mentioned, the choice is entirely up to you.

In regards to releasing the section as a its own product via the Club, I don't really see the point in that, as it would make PinsPro as a theme pointless. If we're going to start releasing the sections that make that theme unique.

What do you mean remove sections from DMS that aren't going to be used ? If you're going to use them, just don't use them.

#9 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 978 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Releasing a section as stand alone wouldn't make a theme pointless it would only make DMS2 that much better.  One real attraction of DMS2 for designers is being able to make a design come alive without coding other than CSS.  Several users have asked about RevSlider not being full width and iSlider looks like it is content width (haven't installed).  A section like iSlider or ScrollSlider would be great to use in other designs so would many of the sections.  Specifically, scrollSlider as it seems to handle wrapping text and RevSlider has an issue (maybe).  I could CSS Rev Slider to look like iSlider but why bother if I can just install the section I want.

It's all about options.  I plan to use iBlog6 for a site but ProPins wasn't that attractive to me (at least not for what I'm working on now).  Why force users to have a theme and child theme just for a section or two.  I can just use the sections I want via Skeleton but it's nice to have them automatically update.

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

The sections are unique to that theme, they will not be released as a standalone. If we release those sections as standalone products, then there is really no point in releasing other themes, we may as well just release the sections.

RevSlider is full width and RevSlider has no issue wrapping text, just use HTML breaks <br />

We are not forcing users to do anything, DMS comes with core sections and as do our other themes. Users are free to choose DMS, iBlogPro or PinsPro.

#11 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 978 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:49 AM

RevSlider won't break the text automatically as it scales down like it appears scroll slider does.   Using <br /> can't be adjusted on screen size.  Come on...give club members a least the slider sections, we get themes and sections both with membership and you wouldn't have to release it to non club members so I don't think it would impact sales...

It could just be one of the "at least" one new theme or tool every month:)  

Anyway, I can pull it out of the theme.  It would just be nice for them to get updates through the updater.