• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Here's one thing that would be minor for you, but major for people with low vision or near blindness.  I administer a Pagelines DMS site that is nationally read, and the author is a well known disability rights activist. He is also blind, in the sense that if he puts his iPad up really close to his face with pinch-zoom, he can use the web (and does).  However, he and many of his users are  unhappy with the trend in responsive design that disables user-scalability on devices because of the erroneous assumption that if a site is well-designed, it shouldn't need to be zoomed.  That assumption is only correct if you are assuming your users aren't almost blind, or low vision.  

I really wish you'd just put a check box somewhere  that would allow the responsive theme to enable user-scalable=YES !  It would really help a whole community of forgotten and  overlooked web users, and it wouldn't take your developers a ton of time at all. 

#22 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 977 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

@bscherr 

You could add  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">  to your custom scripts area and I think that should fix.  You will probably need to double check that it doesn't cause any odd actions in things like sliders.

#23 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 42 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replay, but that doesn't work. There's a bunch of other threads on it, and no good answers. I've searched the web, the codex etc... and it looks like I'm going to have to  mess around in the PHP, which is something I NEVER want to do. The reason I bring it up is because many people who choose WP do so because it is the standard bearer for accessibility.  Non-disabled designers assuming that "because the letters fit" that it's accessible is short sighted. All over the forum there are designers "failing to see" why zoom would be needed, and stating that disabling the zoom "is correct".  

As an administrator of a blog that focuses on disability rights, I can tell you  that a huge number of low vision and partially blind people use iPads, hold them really close to their face and use the zoom to see the words. The blogger I am supporting is a disability rights activiest, and a contributor to the Huffington Post, and many of his readers are pointing out that pinch/zoom is enabled there, so they are going there to read his content. Not good all in all. 

Anyway another one of your people just told me to install a child theme, then put a hook into my functions.php file.  I will try it, but honestly to get that feature I shouldn't have to mess around with php files.

All in all I am really happy with Pagelines, but I think assuming that responsive design will meet all user needs is wrong.

#24 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 977 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

@bscherr

I just tested and if you add that to the custom scripts area and clear your cache via DMS resets, it works.  I have it working on msdbuilder1.flywheelsites.com (view with login flywheel pass is build-1).  The page looks crazy because I'm testing other things but literally, all I did was add that bit of code.  

Hope you can get it to work.   

#25 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 42 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Well... it's just odd. I added exactly that line to my custom scripts , flushed all the css/less in the resets section of pagelines, and I still can't pinch/zoom on my ipad. How hard would it really be to add this functionality to DMS? 

(custom-scripts.jpg

#26 bscherr

bscherr

Advanced Member

• Members

• 42 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

Woops, posted too soon. Got it to work by pasting this exact line: <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" user-scalable="YES">

It was the user-scalable="YES" that was missing.  Thanks to @jmad for the suggestion! 

• CliffordP and jmad like this

#27 eglashcreative

eglashcreative

Advanced Member

• Members

• 82 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, New York, USA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi all  -

It was suggested that I post my request here. 

It would be great to see a PayPal section available that would:

1. Connect to the PP acct;

2. Possibly keep the user on the site without taking them to PP;

3. Allow for options for adding multiple price/donation levels and product types;

4. Look good! I often have to break a site's design with crappy PP integration. And so many of the WP PP plugins are awful.

Thank you!

#28 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 494 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

@eglashcreative, if I understood your request fully, you want pre-defined options (e.g. drop down) for donation amounts. It seems https://wordpress.or...-accept-plugin/might be what you're looking for. I haven't used it before, but most support inquiries have been addressed and it's been updated recently so it might serve you well.

#29 eglashcreative

eglashcreative

Advanced Member

• Members

• 82 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, New York, USA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

@CliffordP I always prefer to use a PL section before going to a plugin, and since so many people use PayPal, I figure something like this would be useful for many users.

I am using http://quick-plugins...aypal-payments/which works nicely, but, as you know, plugins are only trustworthy to a point.

Thanks!

#30 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 494 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

Sections are just plugins built specifically for PageLines, but I get your point. I hope you find just what you want. :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: features, ideas, store