Photo

Custom Parent/Child Menu in sidebar of Product Website

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 abellemare

abellemare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

I am looking at Platform Pro as a solution for a product website. Questions: How is easy is to build a sidebar with a parent/child navigation menu where the child list is hidden until the parent item is clicked on? See Example: http://www.3-form.co...ia_ecoresin.php I would like to have multiple sidebars with menus like this for the each of the top level main menu links. Also use example site above as reference. (Solutions, Materials, Finishes each have their own custom sidebar.) When building the site with products should I use post or pages to build them?

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:21 AM

It's possible to create those types of menus with submenu links that pop up when top levels links are moused over. They will show up at the very top (just like in the example you posted). Just go to Settings > Header And Nav and under Drop Down Navigation Options, check the box next to Enable Drop Down Navigation?. (Also make sure that you've set up the parent pages and their child pages so that the submenus will actually work)

I think if you're building a site with products, you should use pages (with posts, you won't be able to control the order of each post published on the main page unless you download a certain plugin).

#3 abellemare

abellemare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

I may have not communicated this correctly or maybe I am misunderstanding you. I am interested in creating Sidebar Navigation that is unique to a collection of pages. I wanted to know what the best way of doing this is? And to see if it was possible to hide the child links until you were viewing a page in that collection. See Example: http://www.3-form.co...ia_ecoresin.php It looks like what you are describing above is referring to the top horizontal navigation.

#4 abellemare

abellemare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

I have found a plugin called Widget Logic. I can create as many menus as I need under the Wordpress > Appearance > Menus. Then under Widgets > Custom Menu I can add as many custom menus as I want to my sidebar. Each Custom Menu has a "Widget Logic" field that allows me to specify when the menu should be visible.