DMS 2 No <h1> Tag for Blog Post Titles & Custom Post Type Post Titles?

Question

Posted · Report post

I just noticed that blog posts use <h2> for the post title. Custom post type posts also default to <h2>.

I checked the source code on a number of posts and couldn't find any evidence of an <h1> tag.

Just to see what would happen, I enabled Legacy mode, checked the source code, and saw that blog post titles and custom post type post titles were both wrapped in <h1> tags.

What's the deal with this?

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Not sure what you mean whats the deal ? This is basic SEO practice, there should only ever be one h1 on any given page. Therefore, when you view a blog, all the post titles will be wrapped in <h2> tags, but when you view the individual post, the title will wrapped in a <h1> tag.

If you search most blogs, all post titles are wrapped in a <h2> tag. For example:

http://wordpress.org/news/

https://github.com/blog

http://blog.atom.io/

Posted · Report post

The HTML5 spec says you can have more than one <h1> tag on a page, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about individual post titles.

All of them are wrapped in <h2> tags. The only way for an individual post title to have an <h1> is to enable legacy mode. This goes for custom post types, as well.

See here (regular post): http://abbotsfordrealestate.co/june-2014/

And here (custom post type): http://abbotsfordrealestate.co/market-updates/detached-homes-june-2014/

PageLines blog individual post: http://www.pagelines.com/pagelines-is-a-community/

All are individual posts and all titles are wrapped in <h2> tags.

It appears that the only way to be able to use the <h1> tag on individual post titles is to enable legacy mode.

Posted · Report post

In regards to multiple h1 via the HTML5 spec, as far as I am aware you should only have multiple H1 tags if you use multiple section tags, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the new postloop mode, I only checked the legacy mode on my test site. So I will bring this to our developers attention.

Posted · Report post

Basically, people shouldn't do more than one <h1> tag unless they're sure about what they're doing so sticking with a single <h1> tag is probably the safest/best way to go.

In regards to multiple h1 via the HTML5 spec, as far as I am aware you should only have multiple H1 tags if you use multiple section tags, but I could be wrong.

Yes, currently legacy appears to be the only way to get <h1> tags on single post titles (and single custom post type titles), which isn't good SEO for anyone not using legacy mode (like me and probably many others since "non-legacy" is the default).

Regarding the new postloop mode, I only checked the legacy mode on my test site. So I will bring this to our developers attention.

Would you mind updating this thread with their response?

I'd rather not enable legacy mode (has some implications for custom post types for me) if It's something they will address quickly.

Cheers

Posted · Report post

Any update on the status of this issue?

Posted · Report post

It has been reported to our tracker, our developers have responded to the issue as of yet.

Posted · Report post

Not sure how things work with your developers but I'd think that an issue like this should be treated as urgent.

It's not hard to fix. I've hacked one installation simply by changing two <h2>s to <h1>s - I know, no support,  but a lot of content has since seen a boost in search visibility, so there's that.

Can I ask why does an issue like this not seem to be a big deal?

Not trying to be a dick but SEO is challenging enough without having a theme work against you.

Posted · Report post

I have reported, I have now changed the flag to high priority and @mentioend our developers so they're aware of the problem.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Danny.

Posted · Report post

I upgraded to 2.15 hoping/expecting to see that this issue had been addressed.

Nope.

So the problem remains: no <h1> tags on single posts and single custom post types (unless you use legacy mode).

Any chance of an explanation from the developers on why they didn't address a key SEO problem with the latest release?

Posted · Report post

Bump

Posted · Report post

I've bumped the ticket again for you.

Posted · Report post

Is it possible to get some assurance that the developers will actually address this problem - and, if so, when?

It's been about 6 1/2 to 7 weeks since I originally raised it and I have no idea when/if it will be addressed.

Thanks

Posted · Report post

I think a week is a little long to have to wait for a reply to a message asking for an update on a problem that was identified about 2 months ago. Just sayin.

Posted · Report post

Yeah it has been escalated to our task manager so all our developers can see this now. I apologise that this has taken so longer.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm...for reasons I'm sure you'll understand I gotta say that I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to address this problem.

I have to say that I'm more than a little surprised at the lack of action on this, considering it's a fairly serious problem affecting every DMS installation (that's not using legacy mode or Ellen's Single Bits plugin, which does use <h1> tags on single posts) and that the solution took about 1 minute to apply.