Dummy Data for DMS2

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello, 

Where can I download the dummy data content (of the same demo at current dms demo site), which is stated in DMS documents. (I added the screenshot)

At the DMS userguide it clearly says thay I can download dummy content under docs.pagelines.com

I can not find the download link yet. 

Edited by mcyakar

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

First off, I want to say thanks for making dummy data files, it's very helpful to quickly see what controls and settings are being used for certain ideas, something which might other wise take a lot of time...

However,  either he doc needs to be updated to reflect things I found below 

OR

Easier, please provide Custom Post Type and Custom field exports...

To avoid a lot of import errors and missing pages.

• Permalinks left at default: e.g.

http://127.0.0.1/DMS-demo/?p=123

​Post name will give errors because the is a portfolio page which conflicts with that post type

• Create 3 custom post types prior to importing

Using the 'Types' plugin this seems to have worked for me using default values and 

Plural / Singular  / slug

---------------------------------

Team / Team member / team

Portfolio / Portfolio Item / portfolio 

Documentation / Document / document 

The only remaining error remaining was a missing image:

Import WordPress

Failed to import Media “sf-aerial-sunset”
Failed to import Media “sf-aerial-sunset”

but the 3 files seem to be there.

Pinspro seems OK and

iBlog pro looks like it needs another custom something - if someone has some ideas?

Failed to import portfoliotype Chair
Failed to import portfoliotype Couch
Failed to import portfoliotype Desk
Failed to import portfoliotype Lamp
Failed to import portfoliotype Shelf
Failed to import portfoliotype Table
Failed to import portfoliotype Tray

thanks

Posted · Report post

keniry - Can you provide the steps you have taken to import the files please.

Posted · Report post

Danny,

Verbatim from the doc link above, (see details below) - and in the same order

DMS

Pins 

iBlog

It was a fresh DMS 2.1.5 install, no child themes, both on an OSX/AMPPS/softaculous/WP3.8 and on a centos/cpanel/softaculous 3.9 wp install.. then I tried various iterations, like loading json files prior to importing, but in all cases I got many import errors until I created a fresh install of WP, loaded DMS developer & Types plugins and created the 3 Custom Post Types before importing the data.  

Here is an XML export of mine..

My concern is that I just took default fields and guessed about what to call these CPT and I seem to be missing the portfoliotype and don't now where to set that up.

extract follows

-------------------------------

The Demo Content

Don't forget to unzip the demo data before proceeding

Step 1: Import the WordPress Data

1. In the WordPress menu, click on Tools and Import. You will be presented with a series of importer tools, at the bottom you will see WordPress, thats the one you installed, click that.
  2. You should see the WordPress Import page with a 'Choose File' dialog, click the button and navigate to the xml file contained in the zip file you downloaded above.
  3. Now click 'Upload File and Import'
  4. The importer will now ask you if you want to assign users or create your own. Its safe to just let it do what it wants here, dont worry the user 'Ray' will be created with a random password
  5. Check the box that says 'Download and import file attachments' and click 'Submit'

At this point WordPress will download all the media attachments from the demo and import them into your site, takes a few seconds or a couple of minutes depending on the bandwidth available.

Step 2: Set Reading Options

By default WordPress will display your latest posts on the front page of the site, the demo uses a static page and a separate blog page, so lets set that up now.

1. Under WordPress Admin, click on Settings and Reading. Here you will be able to setup how the front page of your site is handled.
  2. Select 'A static Page' in the radio controls.
  3. In the Front Page dropdown select 'PageLines DMS Demo - Drag and Drop WP Framework', its towards the bottom of the list.
  4. In the Posts Page dropdown select 'Blog'

Step 3: Importing the DMS Data

The last step is always the easiest!

1. If you haven't already done it go ahead and activate DMS and make your way to the frontend of your site
  2. In the DMS editor at the bottom of your page, click on 'Site Settings' then 'Import + Export'
  3. On the right you will see a green button 'SELECT CONFIG FILE(.JSON)' click it and navigate to the pl-config file contained in the zip you downloaded.
  4. There will be a slight pause, a refresh and then you should be greeted with the DMS demo in all its glory!

Congrats, you made it! If you have any issues with importing this demo content let us know by posting in the forum or emailing the support desk!
-------------------------------

Posted · Report post

Basically, if you're encountering an issue with a posttype it just means you do not have one setup, the WordPress xml file can not create a post type for you, this is something you have to do yourself. In terms of the shop and products, if you install WooCommerce this should resolve this issue.

In regards to the documentation post type, I imagine this has been setup manually using a CPT plugin then assigned to the Docker section. The same can be said about the contact form CPT, just install CF7 and the portfolio one again, is just a CPT created by a plugin. If these custom posts types do not exist, you will receive the failed to import notice.

So to resolve the issue, just install WooCommerce, CF7 and add two CPTs, documentation and portfolio. This is for PinsPro, I didn't attempt iBlogPro 6, as if there are any errors, it is likely to be resolved with the above suggestions.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Again, i apologise for not starting my own thread on the forum, i cant see where to do it, lol.

Basically I want to know how to create a page like the fancy blog page on the demo of DMS2, its perfect for some of my categories on the website im working on.

Im thinking it could be made with the flyper plugin but not 100% sure. I need to create a few of these pages and id like to just use a post category and its subcategories, not all posts on the website. 

Im using a child theme, sophistique. Not sure if it makes any difference or not?

Also, if the page is manually created with flyper plugin, what custom post plugin should i use, and, can i have more than 6 posts displayed or not? 

Id like All the posts from a particular category displayed on the page, then have results broken down into the subcategories like on the demo.

Thanks people

Edited by onlinedesigns4u

Posted · Report post

onlinedesigns4u - please create your own topic, you can do this by clicking on the Start New Topic button when you're in the correct forum.

Posted · Report post

Danny,

thanks - as I said I set up my own CPTs and I realise the XML won't create it for me, which is why I explained what I did..., the problem I have once again, is the documentation has a hole in it.  

Perhaps a forum is not the place to suggest where the documentation is insufficient ?  If so please direct me to the right area.

bryan

Posted · Report post

OK it moved 

paul_t - If you've found an error on our documentation, in future can you use the GitHub tracker, as I am rarely on the forums these days so I don't always see any reports when posted here.

You can report any problems with the docs via the issue tracker here - https://github.com/pagelines/Docs/issues

And thanks for the contribution.