DMS 2 Modernizr problem

Question

Posted · Report post

I was using the DMS Pro Tools patch and the Modernizr plugin/acript to get IE8 and IE9 to present DMS based sites correctly. This was working successfully, bar a few elements that I could make some conditional styles for.

I've just noticed on the last two sites I've updated to the latest version of DMS that this no longer works. I know the Modernizr script hasn't been changed so I assume something with DMS has changed to render these non-functional.

http:/www.guinnessfunds.com

http:/www.tcii.co.uk/bypass   (this is behind a 'under maintenance' screen right now, you'll need to use the 'bypass' in the URL to get past it)

Any idea what might be stopping the script from running correctly? Normally it would allow older browsers to use HTML5 and CSS3 tags/selectors, at the moment its as if the script isn't even running/loading...

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hello jamieg270

Have you tried disabling the plugins to see if anything installed is affecting this? 

Posted · Report post

No joy. I tried that already.

The weird thing is that initially all looks good, the styling seems to be rendering, but its simply a brief flash of the properly rendered page before reverting. Some of the default DMS styling displays, but none of the LESS from the child theme, no @media or Icon fonts etc. Previously these generally worked well with the hack in the Professional plugin in combination with the Modernizr script to get support for HTML 5 tags and CSS3, I could get the page looking pretty much identical to the IE10/11 rendering minus some of the transitions and some details that will never be supported even with javascript hacks.

I've got to go to a meeting now, but I will try and record a Jing video later so you can see what I mean.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, the Jing video would be great. 

Posted · Report post

Hi Martin,

Jing video link: http://screencast.com/t/VcR3ruRZE

First I show the page rendered in IE8. I reload the page in IE8 a few times so that you can see on occasion the html 5 and CSS3 does render briefly but then reverts back. The rendering isn't perfect, however if I could get it to render consistently like that I could add conditional CSS to fix it.

It renders almost the same in IE9 however the icon fonts load as they are supported natively by IE9.

I then show how it should render in a normal Chrome tab, and then show I have the Modernizr plugin installed and the patch activated in Pro Tools. I tried using the Modernizr script direct rather than using the Plugin, however the site behaved in exactly the same way.

This setup worked perfectly in DMS 1 (at least 1.1.8 using Pro Tools plugin 1.6.2  I still have some client sites using the older DMS and the Modernizr script which are working fine right now)), I'm not sure when it broke, I only noticed it on these two sites where I have updated straight to 2.1.1... and began my final testing...

Any light you can shine on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jamie

Posted · Report post

Hi Martin Davies,

Did you get the chance to look at this again?

Thanks...

Posted · Report post

Could you try disabling none PageLines plugins for us. Just to rule out a plugin conflict. 

I will take a further look when you get back to us. 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies

Shall we leave that for Monday now? I can do it now, but I'm sure you've got better things to do at this time on a Friday evening!

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies

My client wouldn't give me permission to disable all plugins on the tcii.co.uk site to allow a test. So instead I set up a local copy and test that instead.

I've now had the chance to research this in more detail on that copy of the site. The culprit plugin is ironically DMS Professional Tools. 

When this plugin is activated (with all other plugins deactivated other than Pagelines Updater) with either the Modernizr or HTML5Shiv scripts (both popular scripts for providing HTML5/CSS3 support to older browsers) loading, most if not all of your custom LESS in the child theme does not get applied in IE9 or below. Icon fonts are not loaded and applied correctly either. This happens whatever checkboxes are checked or not checked in the DMS Professional Tools plugin. The plugin only needs to be active to cause the problem.

When I deactivate the DMS Pagelines Professional Tools plugin, all the features of these scripts then work in IE9 or below. 

I am certain this problem is not to do with the DMS Professional Tools plugin itself but its use with DMS 2. I have several DMS 1.1.8 sites still running all using the DMS Professional Tools 1.6.2 all of which work perfectly with the Modernizr script. Such as this site: http://www.theintuitivecounsellor.com. 

So it seems it is an interplay between DMS2 and the DMS Professional Tools plugin.

Ideally I would like to keep some of the other features of the DMS Professional Tools plugin and use it with the Modernizr or Html5Shiv scripts, IE9 and 8 still hold significant share of the browser market (30% between them according to netmarketshare.com).

Any chance the root of the problem might be tracked down and fixed? 

Posted · Report post

There shouldn't as far as I am aware be any conflict with DMS 2 and DMS Pro Tools plugin, as its the actually plugin that loads the compatibility scripts and not DMS2. I will speak to our developers and see what they suggest.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny,

I appreciate it.