Photo

Fixing the primary sidebar in place with the CSS {position: fixed} results in text displaying inline although {display:block} has been set

{position: fixed} {display:block}

Best Answer Danny , 20 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

HI,

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can provide support for as it is not a bug, but an issue caused by your custom CSS. To resolve it, you will likely need to position the sidebar correctly, you can't simply use position: fixed and think that will do the job, you will need additional CSS to position it correctly. I would recommend you find a site that has a fixed sidebar and try to copy their CSS into your own.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rwgoldberg@gmx.com

rwgoldberg@gmx.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.5

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

When the primary sidebar is fixed with {postion: fixed}, the text in the primary sidebar’s text widget displays inline and overflows into the adjacent content area although {display: block} has been coded.  All of my coding/CSS for the primary sidebar is shown below.   This is especially puzzling because this same coding, {position:fixed} / {display:block}, has until recently worked as intended with no rearranging of the text.

There are no other widgets and no other content in the primary sidebar. 

All coding has been done in a PageLines Framework version 2.4.5 child theme under Custom CSS/LESS.

Deactivating the plugins, deleting  all of my custom CSS/LESS and flushing the CSS by going to „Visit Site“ in the dashboard and clicking on Flush LESS in the menu bar at the top of the webpage has not corrected the problem.  I have reviewed and tested all of my CSS and reactivated each of the plugins individually to test for a conflict and believe there are none.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

My sitehttp://53263298.swh....eu/crosschecker

My CSS for the primary sidebar:

/* Primary sidebar: fixing in place */

.section-sb_primary {

position: fixed;

}

/* Primary sidebar: formatting of links in the text widget not provided under Appearance/Typography */

.section-sb_primary .widget_text a {

letter-spacing: 0.1em;

line-height: 25px;

display: block;

}

/* Primary sidebar: padding between the menu items */

.one-sidebar-left #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-left #column-main .mcolumn-pad {

padding: 14px 10px 0 30px;

}

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17919 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:56 AM   Best Answer

HI,

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can provide support for as it is not a bug, but an issue caused by your custom CSS. To resolve it, you will likely need to position the sidebar correctly, you can't simply use position: fixed and think that will do the job, you will need additional CSS to position it correctly. I would recommend you find a site that has a fixed sidebar and try to copy their CSS into your own.

#3 rwgoldberg@gmx.com

rwgoldberg@gmx.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.5

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Thank you for the speedy reply.  I'll see what I can come up with.  Thanks again.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17919 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

No problem.