thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Framework Version:Free

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

Aloha,

There are a few solid changes I would like to make on my site and I bet there is an easy way for all of them that don't know about. I'll start with the first: I have a slider (with 4 slides that transition -- each with 5 pics of kids) in my CONTENT section near the top of my site because I like how it takes up only 3/4 of the screen and makes the pics of the kids smaller (I don't like the huge sliders that go clear across the site). However, I want the slider on the same line as my Logo (branding) -- up in the Header. How do I do this? I've seen plugins for putting sliders in headers.... but I also want to make sure my logo can stay to the left, with slider on its right. I configured this slider by going to Page Options>Site Defaults>Quickslider. Is there another way to get the slider up on the top of my site, next to my logo?

...I currently have a "Coming Soon" page up, but if anyone needs to see the site, let me know and I will activate the regular site...

THANK YOU!

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

HI,

Can you provide a link to the site in question, disable that coming soon plugin and also provide a concept image what it you're trying to achieve please.

#3 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi Danny  ~ thanx for your reply. Coming soon disabled. Website: http://www.bigislandmusictherapy.com/   There are several things I need to change so it is very rough, but I just want to focus first on getting that slider up to the right of my logo. 

Not sure what you mean by concept image? I drew out a visual.... Is that what you want? Let me see if I can upload something...

#4 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

How do I upload a pic file to here? Looks like "My Media" requires me to have files already uploaded? But the "Pastebin" with files seems like it's mostly files for everyone's use and viewing (even though I can change the mode to "private")..?

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

We recommend 'Jing'
https://cloudup.com/cTKOpZr0tOT

#6 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

okay... I have to run, but will figure out how to show you a pic of my sketch when I get back home. For now, hopefully my live site can give you an idea: I have the logo on top left, and that slider below it to the right -- but I want the slider RIGHT UP NEXT TO the logo. THANK U FOR YOUR HELP!

#7 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

Here is a rough sketch of what I want the site to look like: https://www.dropbox....dd8ok/photo.JPG

I am using the free version of Pagelines. I have been taking an online course on using wordpress and have checked out the available youtube vides that Pagelines provides, but there are a few basic things I can't quite manage without your help (thank you!). Also, admittedly, I'm still confused about the difference between the sections like  "banners," highlights," "callouts," etc. Maybe there is a way for me to get the slider in the header using one of these? Also, I don't see the "Features" option in my version of Pagelines ... ?

So back to my main question: How can I get that slider up next to my logo in the "header"? Is there a trick... a piece of code.. or, should I use a plug in?

#8 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Danny... Do you need any more info from me to give me advice about the slider in header situation? Thank u for ur help...

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

OK, so you're using PageLines Framework, to achieve this kind of layout would require extensive CSS, which is something we do not provide support for. However, you could easily achieve this layout in DMS, just by dragging and dropping the sections into place and then reducing the width of each section, so they go on the same row.

#10 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Wait... so is DMS the paid version? And I can drag the slider into the header in that??? But I cannot do that in the free version?

#11 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

And Danny: let me ask you this, please...   even if I can't get the slider in the header in the unpaid version... I don't understand what I CAN add into the header? RIght now there is a bunch of empty space to the right of my branding.    What else am I able to INSERT THERE on this version??? Please help me understand this so I can keep building.... I spent so much time trying to understand the youtube vids and the documents and building what I have so far, only to be deadened now, and I am thinking I may have to switch to another theme, which I don't want to have to do. Thank you for the support..

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

You're using PageLines Framework, which is a completely separate product to DMS. DMS comes in two versions free and pro version, you can download the free version from WordPress.org.

In PageLines Framework, there was a section called Branding, this section did two things, it displayed your sites logo image (on the left) and on the right, it displayed social media network logos/icons. In order for these to display you had to configure them in the Branding section options. So if you're not seeing any icons, you haven't configured them.

PageLines Framework has multiple sections that can be placed inside the header, you're not restricted to one section only, you can see all the sections available for the header template area, by going to the options in the backend and dragging and dropping, the section into the header template.

#13 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. The thing with drag-dropping into the header is it only lets me drag items UNDERNEATH each other so, like u said, is it only the social icons that would appear to the right of my branding, once I configure?

And regarding DMS: if I go download that (the free version), will I have more options than with Framework?

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

You will have more options than PageLines Framework, for example you can easily add multiple sections into one row by reducing their widths. The pro version comes with tons more sections and more options available, you can find more information here - http://www.pagelines.../shop/core/dms/

The free version is available here - http://wordpress.org/themes/dms

#15 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

Hi Danny.... okay, I downloaded DMS 2 (free version). And now everything seems so new with so many options that I'm not sure where to start..... I'll have to sit down and try to figure out how it all works (yikes... just when I thought I had a handle on Framework, lol)

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

hehe, yeah it can be intimating at first, especially coming from PageLines Framework, but I am confident you will get the hang of it in no time and then wonder how you ever used a different theme. Just stick with it and you will see how awesome it is, to create your layout while you're looking at it :D

#17 thesongchanneler

thesongchanneler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Danny, et. al....  can I get some links to websites built with DMS 2? Preferably on the pro version so I know my limits, but either way.....   thank u :] <----  not sure how delete this post, so I'll just add: that I'll start asking my questions in the DMS free version, since this forum is for Framework, I think?

Edited by thesongchanneler, 18 June 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#18 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Just replied to your other topic regarding sites created using DMS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Slider, Header, Logo, Slider in Header