DMS 2 iPad Portrait - Menu and other elements disappear

Question

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

What do you mean ? As I don't have access to my iPad at the moment, but I used the Resizer Bookmarklet and your navigation is certainly there.

Posted · Report post

Here's a pic from an iPad.

Posted · Report post

Here's a pic from an iPad.[attachment=2241:image.jpg]

Posted · Report post

Thats how the menu is supposed to work, its hard to see what you're actually trying to demonstrate from that image as its on the small side. However, when you view your site on a mobile device such as an iPad or iPhone or similar devices, then the navigation links will disappear and will be replaced with the mobile menu, which you access using the hamburger logo (three lines on top of one another).

Posted · Report post

Is there any way to control this responsive behavior? It's not what I want.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, it would require removing all responsive CSS i.e. media queries from your navigation section. This is something I wouldn't recommend, as the majority of your visitors will likely be viewing your website on a mobile device such as a phone or tablet and this number is only going to increase. This is why a lot of websites and frameworks are going mobile first, meaning that most of the layout has been designed with mobile devices in mind.

The navigation is such an example, if you remove the the CSS that controls how the navigation displays on mobile devices, what will happen is that all your menus will display the same way they do on a desktop PC/Mac and will look rather odd. It will also likely be difficult for users to navigate through your website, that is why the most websites that are responsive use such a method.

Here are just a few examples:

http://getbootstrap.com/

http://foundation.zurb.com/

http://en.blog.wordpress.com/

Posted · Report post

Okay.  

Here's the question. Can I just change the responsive behavior for Portrait iPad Viewport mode only?  In other words, in that mode, just keep the regular menu rather than the "hamburger" one.  In my design, there is room for the regular menu and the "hamburger" is not needed in that mode.  Also, other elements that I would like to keep disappear as well.

I have been using the (competing) Headway Theme. In that application, there are a variety of built-in Viewport mode Classes.  For example, one Class is called (something like) "ipad-portrait-responsive-hide."  I can then use the app to show or hide a div element based on the mode of the Viewport.

Are there any Viewport controls for Pagelines?  

As you pointed out, this control issue becomes more important as the number of devices increases.

If this is a topic that has already been addressed, just post the links.  Thanks for your help.

Posted · Report post

If there is not a built-in Pagelines control, could this behavior be controlled with CSS?

Posted · Report post

Just for the record, I consider this to be poor design.