Question

Posted · Report post

Hi & Thank you for taking the time to help me resolve this issue.

I have the most current versions of wordpress and dms, I have removed pagelines sections and disabled all plugins and I am still experiencing issues.

DMS only loads on the draft pagelines pages, all of my pages display unstyled and the dms system is in a list and nonfunctional...

My web address... the home page is the only page that displays correctly...

http://casseysdesigns.com/

http://casseysdesigns.com/my-close-up/

I was previously on the most recent version of pagelines framework...

I did remove and reinstall dms and it did not correct the issue...

Please let me know if more information is needed or if you have any troubleshooting advice! 

Cre8ively,

Cassey

17 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

There is no need to apologise, I completely understand as to why you would be frustrated.

In regards to migrating, to DMS from another theme such as Platform Pro or PageLines Framework. There are many methods, the one I personally use is:

1. I create a local site using either MAMP/Vagrant (I'm a Mac user), Windows users can use XAMPP

2. I then recreate the site in this environment, I do this by importing the pages/posts etc.. using the WordPress import/export tool

3. I then layout all pages, posts etc... and then add my styling.

4. Once the site has been recreated to how I like it, I then use the WordPress export tool if required as well as the DMS export tool too.

5. I then go the live site, install DMS if it isn't already and then begin importing the files.

I haven't had any trouble with this procedure. However, I would recommend performing a backup on the live site, before proceeding.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue.

Can you also enable DMS Debug mode ~ DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, can you contact our helpdesk with the following information.

* A link to this topic so our staff have a reference

* A link to the site in question

* Provide your admin username/password

* Make sure all plugins are disabled

* Make sure DMS debug mode is active.

hello at pagelines dot com

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, 

My apologies for just checking back... I was on vacation and ran out of time to dedicate to this project until I returned home...

As I noted I had already disabled all active plugins and I now have DMS debug mode turned on. I am getting the dms system on my home page but no other pages are loading correctly, not even new pages. 

I will write to the help desk to see if they are able to assist me. This is the first site I am attempting to transfer to dms from pagelines so it is possible that something I have done is causing the 

problem. Once I find the culprit of the issue I will post here in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Thanks,

Cassey

Posted · Report post

I just noticed, not sure why I didn't check in the first place 

You're using an old version of DMS, please update to the latest version, otherwise we will not be able to provide support. We only provide support to users with the latest version of DMS.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, 

Perhaps you are responding to the wrong thread....

I have the latest versions of everything pagelines and wordpress. That is of course unless pagelines has stopped updating the links in my account and/or no longer completes updates through wordpress.

If either of the latter are the case I suppose I will need to know how to obtain the most recent version of the DMS2 system. 

Cre8ively,

Cassey

Posted · Report post

The latest DMS version in your account area will be 2.1.1

You will need the PageLines updater plugin which is also in your account area.

Posted · Report post

Thank you Simon_P....

As I stated 

"If either of the latter ( pagelines has stopped updating the links in my account and/or no longer completes updates through wordpress ) 

are the case I suppose I will need to know how to obtain the most recent version of the DMS2 system."

>> I do have the latest version and the updater plugin. 

Nothing mentioned thus far by anyone has been in reguards to solving the actual problem other than contacting help desk and 

completing tasks that I have already noted as completed in my initial topic message. 

I have contacted hello at pagelines dot com with the requested information and have not received a response yet.

I thank you all for trying to help, but actual solutions are preferred so please read through the thread comments listed above if you

would like to offer advice or help!

If you need additional information to assist in finding a solution or the reason for the problem please let me know what you need and 

I will be happy to supply that information. Thanks!!

** My site is currenlty a mess!! I need to get this corrected asap as I do have clients complaining about not being able to complete 

forms or find information. If I have to I will rebuild my site, but this would not be in the best interest of pagelines since that would also mean

that I would likely have to do the same for any of my clients who would like to upgrade... and if that is the case then it would make 

sense for me to discontinue using pagelines products. 

I sincerely hope that in the future pagelines will make thier products more compatiable with each other so that upgrades run smoother. **

Cre8ively,

Cassey

Posted · Report post

Well i was addressing the fact that the link to DMS in your account area is v2.0.1 of DMS.

You didnt state what you were updating from, dms v1? dms 2.0? and how you actually got a copy of 2.0.1.

I only ask because im concerned there may be links out there to very old versions of DMS.

Posted · Report post

Hi Simon, 

The link in my account area is v2.1.1 

I am upgrading from Pagelines Framework 2.4.4 < or whatever the latest version of the framework was...

I obtained my plugins from my account area as well and updated any that needed updating. 

I currenlty only have the update plugin active, all other plugins are deactivated.

Cre8ively,

Cassey

Posted · Report post

OK, well the updater is for DMS only, it wont automatically update PageLines Framework to DMS, they are 2 totally different products.

A few settings might be the same, very little.

When DMS v1 was first released over a year ago, for a very short time it had compatibility code to help migrate users from framework into DMS.

DMS2 is very different, we removed all the old code from v1 quite a while ago.

On clicking the links in your original post it looks like you are getting the hang of it, I can see you are at least using the latest version now ;)

Posted · Report post

I have no problem building new sites with DMS2 or upgrading from DMS1 to DMS2... 

My site however was still on the old framework and I finally have some time where I am not working on client projects so I decided it was time to upgrade

my site and do some updating....

But my site did not transition from Framework to DMS2 ... instead it lacks all styles and functionallity. 

Is there a way to fix this or am I to understand that I will need to start over and rebuild everything?

NOTE >> I have been using the latest version since I first posted this message... I have not changed anything other than updating today when the new update 

was released ... v2.0.1 to v2.1.1

I am not new to pagelines or designing reguardless of my "newbie" status and I have always been a happy customer, but this process has become veryyyy frustrating....

So...

Do I need to start from scratch or is it possible to transition from pagelines framework to dms2?

Posted · Report post

I am not entirely sure what you mean by transition, as far as I can tell you're now using the latest version of DMS 2.1.1. So what is the issue you're experiencing. If you're coming from PageLines Framework and wish to use DMS 2.x, then this is considered a migration, as they're two completely different products.

After looking at your site, I can't see any issue. So can you tell us what issues you're experiencing please.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, 

After receiving serveral comments from pagelines staff all seemingly in reguards to my wording and lack of specific versions I became frustrated enough to remove the entire site and start over with imports of my pages and posts. As far as the design I am starting from scratch. Unacceptable but I like DMS2 so I'm rolling with it.

I provided links to my site as well as a screenshot of a small portion of a page on my site so that you could see the issue and had it been looked at anytime since I posted the message and prior to midnight last night the issue would have been blaringly obvious since the entire site (minus the dms home page) was unstyled, and the actual dms toolbar was in a list on the website and unfunctional instead of at the bottom in a toolbar as it should have been.

I disabled everything, tested on wordpress's 2014 theme and my site was fine, uninstalled and reinstalled dms, updated from 2.0.1 to the updated version 2.1.1 yesterday, checked through my custom coding, disabled my child theme, enabled dubug mode, wrote to hello at pagelines dot com (with no response) as requested, read through the documents, followed this thread in attempt to find someone who was willing and able to dedicate some of their time to assisting me with this issue and basically wasted TO MANY HOURS of my time. 

Now that I have said my peace : SOLUTION = uninstall everything from the domain, start over from scratch <-- faster and less frustrating than having staff treat you as if you don't have a clue what your doing!

I really hope that DMS2 is built on by pagelines in a way that updating the system does not require "migrating" in the coming years. 

Posted · Report post

When you first created your topic, on second viewing of your site I noticed the version you were running was an old version, from what I can remember it was version 2.0.1, this is nearly a year old and we do not provide support to users of out of date versions. Also, debug mode was not active, and I purposely choose not to activate it, as when I am logged in users websites, I prefer to not mingle with anything. That why I can't get the blame, if something happens, which in the past has, but wasn't my fault.

When you're asked to contact our helpdesk with your site details, all they do is add your details to a moderator note in your topic so myself or other forum staff can see your details and login, they do not reply, as they're mean't to. This isn't them being rude, it's just them following my instruction, as I do not have PM active, as I get spammed with requests. So this is the safest method of getting a users sites details.

The screenshot you provided, didn't really help us in any way, shape or form, when we see a screenshot such as yours, the most common cause is a plugin or plugins. That is why we ask all users to disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue. As to the reason why I specifically asked for you to disable all active plugins even though you mentioned you had already is because some users refuse to disable all plugins and only select a few that aren't necessary to their sites functionality. So we like to check ourselves, via the debug option.

If you had wrote what you did in your post above, describing your issue in that way, along with your screenshot would have been much more helpful. The likely cause of what you described in your post above, is either plugins (which you say you disabled), custom code conflicting with DMS and/or you didn't install DMS correctly. The issue could also be caused by your server configuration.

Also, you didn't perform an update, you migrated from PageLines Framework to DMS, they're two completely separate products, there is no update process. Its like using TwentyTwelve and think moving to TwentyFourteen is an update, which its not.

You shouldn't have needed to resort to removing DMS completely and starting from scratch. However, by doing so and I take it, it is working as intended, what did you do differently this time, as you said you already tried this in your first post?

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

My apologies I was very frustrated at the whole process. I will do my best to be more informative in the future.

In my original post I noted that I had removed the dms system and reinstalled it, I also removed pagelines framework and pagelines sections plugin in case those were causing issues... the problem was still there.

I do see your point about people refusing to disable all plugins, I did select every plugin and disable using the bulk option so all were disabled. I was using the dms zip file from my account so if that was outdated I would think that would be on pagelines and not me, and with the update plugin disabled I was dependent on that file. 

So, in answer to what I did differently...

I didn't just remove dms I removed everything, wordpress all my content, posts, images, media, styles, forms, settings... everything and started over with a clean slate. I tried everything I could think of and read everything i found related in the docs before deleting a site I have put a great deal of time into... (I was able to salvage my posts and pages text content via individual backups and those did not cause any issue. the complete backup however did cause issues so I am in the process of re-uploading images, recreating forms and such to make my posts and pages functional...)

I believe the issue was with some of my custom coding within the framework sections because the sections didn't always suite my needs without adjustments. However I do follow best practices as closely as I am able to so I would be a little disappointed to learn that this was in fact the issue. I am currently going through pagelines academy (but I haven't learned anything new yet :( its very basic stuff ) and I am looking for more advanced courses / training for the dms2 system so that I can learn how to create custom sections and options for what I want to do without causing compability issues with future releases... so if you know where I should go I would really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

A few things I am most interested in learning :

-- How to code for the post loop, for instance how to add the post date in a circle overlaying the post featured image thumb on the blog page or how to add the read more going vertically along the length of a post excerpt aligned right and at 90degrees...

-- How to create custom sections .. I know how to customize sections and save them as clones to be used elsewhere on a site but not how to create a whole new section

-- Best practices for pagelines; by this I am referring to the fact that there are multiple ways to do a number of things, including using custom code in sections but what is the preferred way so that furture releases don't have compatibality issues... (I know very generic but its a generic knowledge interest) For example : If I want my home page to lack the global areas is it best to set up a template, hide those areas from that page, not use those sections and have those built into a template for other pages etc....

-- How to create animated parallax effects for full page scrolling (if possible with pagelines dms, or is this something that has to be built into the postloop?)

I have a number of client sites active with Pagelines framework, at this point none of them have expressed any interest in upgrading so I have no intention of offering it to them at this time; but should the circumstance arise where I need to migrate another site, what would your advice for doing so be. 

Cre8ively,

Cassey

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny :)

Posted · Report post

No problem.