ALL MY CUSTOM CSS DISAPPEARED!

Question

Posted · Report post

Everything I've been working on for weeks is now gone! What happened?

I just updated to the latest DMS Pro Tools and everything disappeared (custom css, page content, menus, etc.) 

What if my site was live? Should I be wary of updating plugins for fear of losing content?

EDIT

I was able to restore (mostly) everything thanks to UpdraftPlus. Is there something wrong with DMS Professional Tools 1.5.5?

47 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Well like I mentioned above, if this continues for you even on updating third party plugins then the issue has to be either server related or you have a plugin causing this issue. What I recommend you do is disable all active plugins, except for the PageLines updater plugin and DMS Pro Tools plugins.

Then go to the WordPress Admin Dashboard > Plugins > Editor, in the drop down menu (top right) select DMS Pro Tools. When the screen reloads you see the following - https://cloudup.com/coGVPOyY-_5

Where it has Version: 1.6.0, change that numeric value to something like 1.5.0 and then click the save button.

Once you have done that, go to WordPress Admin Dashboard > Dashboard > Updated and you will be given an update for DMS Pro Tools. Check the box for DMS Pro Tools and then update it to the latest version.

Actually before pressing Update Plugins, can you record yourself doing this with either Jing or http://quickcast.io/ so we can see if the issue persists. If it doesn't then its related to one of the plugins you have installed. If the issue does persists and you're redirected to the welcome page, then your issue has to either be server related or your WordPress installation is setup rather oddly.

Posted · Report post

^...do I run the risk of losing anything if I do this? If it is server related or installation related will repairing the databases help?

Posted · Report post

Well that I can't say as your issue is rather unique, I don't actually have any idea why you're having this problem. When you update a plugin and then click the return to plugins area link, you should be taken to the plugins page and not redirected to the Welcome page.

So I would recommend you perform a backup of your site before proceeding. The idea behind performing my suggestion above is so that you can do two things:

1. See if the redirect happens when you only have PageLines created plugins active and see if the redirect persists. If it does then it most definitely is related to your server or WordPress installation.

2. So you can record the issue with wither QuickCast or Jing, so we can see first hand what is happening. As I have never even heard of this issue before.

Posted · Report post

Ok, I will record it now - I'm just backing up my site first just in case. It looks like the there is already an update for pro tools (1.6.2) so I'll follow all those steps accept for downgrading it to 1.5.0.

Posted · Report post

Here is what happened:

1. video started on home page; note how the menu's are configured
  2. went to plugins page; disabled all but the 2 you noted --> was immediately redirected to Welcome page and lost my menus
  3. returned to dashboard and updated pro tools plugin from 1.6.0 to 1.6.2
  4. Pressed the return to plugin page and plugin page appeared (ie. was not redirected this time)
  5. Activated all plugins --> was redirected to the "Types" plugin set up page
  6. Home page is back to normal however menus have to be reset

EDIT: I've lost all of my custom post types and the docker section

Posted · Report post

Can you enable Debug mode and provide a link and also who is your host, as you have something called Drop-ins in your plugin page. This is to my knowledge an issue with your host.

Posted · Report post

Debug is already enabled

Host is Bluehost

Posted · Report post

This is happening on 3 of my sites so far; I'm going to need some more immediate support regarding this.

Posted · Report post

This was resolved via personal messages and tickets.

Posted · Report post

This was resolved via personal messages and tickets.

I appreciate all the help today Simon_P but unfortunately it is not resolved; I'm still getting part of the welcome message.

Here's what happened:

• my fixed and footer menus lost their settings; I reset them in the dashboard went back to the dashboard and got a "welcome" message (albeit just a little collapsible box on the right hand side of my site)

Posted · Report post

Part of a welcome message? What collapsible box?

Are you still being redirected when you activate plugins?

Posted · Report post

It was the little box that starts the welcome tour. I wasn't redirect, the url was correct but that start the tour box appeared and my menus were all messed up. 

I'm signed in now and I've also noticed that in "site settings" it says I have dms basic which isn't true (or at least it shouldn't be true). I tried clicking on "Activate site" and nothing happens. But under "pagelines licenses" my key is already there.

Posted · Report post

Thats the wordpress.org code we discussed in PM rememeber, we had to trick your install into thinking it was the WPORG version to stop the installer running.

So ignore the upgrade to pro text, and hide that little box with css. display:none

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Ah ok, thank you for clarifying that, and again, thank you for all of your help. 

In the morning I'll add child themes to all of my sites and add that bit of code to the child functions.php. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Posted · Report post

It's not working.

Here's what I did on another site:

• uploaded child theme; and added code to css file and the fuctions.php
  • activated theme
  • reconfigured all my menus and header area (the slate was completely wiped clean, had to put everything back)
  • went to plugins area to upload new plugin (wordpress seo)
  • went to homepage; all my menus disappeared and the welcome to dms! tour guide appeared.

Also when the child theme was activated all of my custom sidebars were messed up. Content that was supposed to be in column A was now in Colomn B and vise versa.

Posted · Report post

The only site that I manage that is not affected doesn't have the "Pagelines Updater". Would deactivating this plugin help? I'm running out of time here.

I've lost count how many times I've had to reset my menus. Every time I made any change to a plugin (activate, deactivate, install) I have to reset the menus.

Edit:

Also now that my dms is "tricked" into thinking it's the free version, I can't seem to find the area where I can change my favicon.

Posted · Report post

Also to add, because now my installation is acting as though it is a the free version of DMS (even though it's not) I can no longer clone or copy sections. 

Is there someone available to speak over the phone about this?

Posted · Report post

Did you get this sorted? Just curious

Also to add, because now my installation is acting as though it is a the free version of DMS (even though it's not) I can no longer clone or copy sections. 

Posted · Report post

Hi MikeG"], it's about 90% fixed at this point. @[member="Simon_P was a *huge* help. That script that was "tricking" my DMS into acting like the free version was replace with other coding that stops it from wiping all my content and behaving like a fresh install every time I update/deactivate/reactivate any plugin or theme.

I say it's 90% fixed because sometimes it will still redirect to the "welcome to DMS!" page when I update a plugin however now, the only thing I lose are my menu settings. At the end of the day, this is not as big as deal as before so I'm grateful for the support I received to get my sites back up and running.

Posted · Report post

We cannot provide Phone support but just wanted to see if this is still a problem? 

Posted · Report post

Hi @Martin_Davies, I've since been helped by Simon P.

Posted · Report post

Ok great - thank you for letting us know.