• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

Everything I've been working on for weeks is now gone! What happened?

I just updated to the latest DMS Pro Tools and everything disappeared (custom css, page content, menus, etc.) 

What if my site was live? Should I be wary of updating plugins for fear of losing content?

EDIT

I was able to restore (mostly) everything thanks to UpdraftPlus. Is there something wrong with DMS Professional Tools 1.5.5?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

HI,

I ran the update to DMS Pro Tools and none of my custom CSS was wiped. Was there any error printed at all ?

Also, why are you updating to the latest version of DMS Pro Tools, but not updating DMS to the latest version, you're still using 2.0.7.

#3 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

No there was no error printed as far as I know. I all got what a "welcome to dms2!" message and tutorial. When I went to my home page the menu was in mobile mode and read "dms2" in the corner, my pins were overlapping (since my css was missing to put the spacing in) all the colours were wrong and whole sections were missing.

I *just* restored everything using a backup I did last week. So now my DMS is 2.0.7 and I have 4 plugins to update. I'm afraid though to do it because I don't want to lose everything again!

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

OK, I recommend you export all your templates so you have them ready to import whenever you like using the import/export builtin DMS. I also recommend you use a child theme such as the one I created here - http://dannyholt.github.io/skeleton/

Using the child theme, add all your custom CSS to the style.css file. However, if you're using both CSS and LESS CSS, then use the style.less file instead.

Then update to the latest version of DMS again, update to the latest version of DMS Pro Tools if you already haven't and then import your templates that you exported earlier and once, everything is setup. Use the child which now has your custom CSS/LESS.

#5 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'm using the plugin updraftplus to backup my site but if I want to export template what the best practice for that?

#6 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

...I tried upgrading again and I got the same result. Does this mean I'm stuck with DMS 2.0.7?

#7 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

Now my backups won't restore the site. This is getting a bit much. I tried to put everything as it but but then megamenu wasn't working anymore either - what gives?

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

Unfortunately, I have no experience with that plugin so I am unable to assist with the reason as to why it won't restore, you will want to contact your web host provider as they should have backups.

In regards to updating DMS Pro Tools, there is nothing wrong with DMS Pro Tools or DMS for that matter. I have am at a loss as to why updating either of them is giving you so many problems. I have just ran a few tests and not once did I encounter any issues with updating DMS Pro Tools or DMS, my test custom CSS I added also remained intact.

Can you disable all active plugins before updating and also, provide a link to the site in question with DMS debug mode enabled.

In regards to exporting/importing your templates, I already mentioned in my previous post that you can do this by using the built-in import/export within DMS.

#9 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi @Danny , unfortunately I've just had to plow ahead; so everything is up-to-date and I've added in all of my custom code so I'm passed the step of disabling plugins and enabling debug mode.

I know you mention there is nothing wrong with Pro Tools or DMS however given my experience yesterday, I can say I'm 100% sure that upgrading caused the disruption. If you are unable to tell my why it happened that's fine, I just don't want it to happen again. Every time I've upgraded so far, I've never had this happen.

In regard to import/exporting templates, all was I asking was to clarify the process; is it just a question of clicking the "publish and download DMS config"?

Thank you

#10 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

OK, now I'm really at a loss.

I just uploaded a new DMS plugin called Nextbox, when I activated it my browser refreshed and I got this page:

^ the URL has ?page_id=135&pl-installed-theme=dms added to it

Again all my work was lost (custom css, sections missing, fixed header reverted to default, footer reverted to default, prefooter was added, font colours and typography are all default, etc.)

This is the exact same thing that happened before.

#11 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

So activating any plugin redirects you to that install url?

#12 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Yes, upon activation or with an update to any plugin and/or theme, all my settings and sections are dumped

Debug mode has been enabled; I need to get this resolved as soon as possible so any help is greatly appreciated!

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Can you either record the redirection on update issue using Jing, or let me have a login so I can see what happens.

There is no code in DMS that would redirect to the frontpage of your site on updating a plugin. This could be a WordPress bug.

#14 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

@Simon_P I sent you my info in a PM, thank you

#15 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Ok I logged in.

1. I edited the plnextbox version to trigger a plugin update.
  2. I let wordpress auto update the plugin
  3. Was not auto redirected to the install page.
  4. I activated PLNextbox
  5. Again was not redirected.
  6. Visited the front page to check if the editor is working.
  7. Again installer did not run.

If this is different to the steps you took can you record it with jing please. http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

#16 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Sorry forgot the screencast link: http://screencast.com/t/GnpcZeLtzx5y

#17 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

I recreated the problem as advised:

In this scenerio, I logged in and activated my child theme. Upon activation, I was directed to the "welcome to dms" page.

#18 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Yes, on activating a new theme, be it a child theme or whatever the installer will run as its a different theme.

Im more worried about the installer running whenever you activate or update any plugin. Is this still the case?

#19 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi @Simon_P yes that I understand I just did it to illustrate what was happening to me when activating a plugin. I haven't been able to recreate it though ( I tried deleting then reuploading pl next box) and it went normally.

I'm not at ease with this; it seems like it's OK but when I don't want to to suddenly decide to change up on my when the site goes live.

I'm working now with the child theme and putting everything back, once again

#20 jane

jane

Advocate

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

I just updated the plugin "pagelines updater" when I clicked return to plugin page after it finished it redirected to this page:

http://screencast.com/t/9Zx1baa03

....at least this time it didn't delete all my work but the problem is still happening

And when I updated the theme, my fixed nav went to mobile mode and my footer, instead of being centred is now aligning left.