Photo

Is it possible to add a second blog page?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcwinton

dcwinton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

This was asked and answered in an oblique way elsewhere, but the response isn't clear. Is it possible to have a second or third blog page? I have three blogs that are different enough that their posts should not be in the same blog. What I'd like is a drop down under the title "Blogs" with three different blog post pages.

#2 jasonp

jasonp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

Wordpress automatically creates feeds for each category (by default it would be http://YOURSITE.com/...URCATEGORY/feed) I shoot these through feedburner and then offer separate subscription options on my subscribe page. Perhaps this method could function for your needs?

#3 dcwinton

dcwinton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Thank you. But I'm sorry, I don't understand your response though I seem to grok that, as a solution, it depends on "feeds" and "subscriptions." Generally, people don't "subscribe" to my blog. I write about somewhat arcane legal issues so it's not the sort of resource that readers subscribe to. They generally find their way there looking for very specific information about a very specific topic. Then when they get there, they tend to poke around at other topics that may catch their interest. (Or so it appears from the stats.) The subject matter for the other blogs would be as different from the existing one as, oh, the biochemistry of plant matter is different from bidding strategies in contract bridge. Readers of one are not likely interested in the other, and mixing them creates confusion and compromises the integrity of each. So I do not want them mixed. I don't want the same posts on the same blog page; that I could use different "categories" to sort them out doesn't solve the problem. Can I have two blog pages on the same site?

#4 kgstew

kgstew

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

You can have two blogs in Wordpress and there are multiple ways to accomplish this. One option suggested by WP is here http://codex.wordpre...Multiple_Blogs. I also found an article on an alternative method but you will have to contact the author to get the details here http://likemind.co.u...blogs-one-site/ Otherwise the only other option I see is putting your blog posts into categories that are something like "Blog 1" and "Blog 2" and then you can have pages which display the different categories which would essentially create two blogs.

#5 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3270 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for the info kgstew. That was interesting; and I'll save that as a resource :)

#6 dcwinton

dcwinton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

Yes. Thanks kgstew. That answered my q for me.

#7 bhayent1

bhayent1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yes - the ability to have a second or third blog page would be enormously helpful. For the client site on which I used White House Pro - we are using the "blog" page to serve the News. http://www.ialobbyist.com/news/ However - we would like to add an actual blog - which doesn't seem possible right now. That's because on the WHP set up - you must choose only a single page name as the "blog. As an aside, I am experienced with Brian Gardner's Revolution/Studio Press themes. In SP - you can just copy the Blog.php file in the theme editor & rename it something else such as "News Blog" then add it to the theme files. You an then choose the "page" type from the dropdown when creating a new page. Viola! Anyway - Andrew - not sure exactly how you have the blog page coded in WHP 1.4.6 - it looks like it's "bloghead.php" - which is pulling in code from somewhere else. Can you please post a workaround? Thanks!

#8 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

The easiest way to do this is to split your blog posts into a 'News' and 'Blog' category. Create dummy pages for 'News' and 'Blog' to create links on the TopNav Bar. Use the 'Page Links To' plugin to point these links to the category page. This should allow you to separate two different topics on to two separate pages while retaining control of navigation.