DMS 2 Use of Child Theme

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi Team,

I am excited to do all my future design work with DMS2 however I am having some difficulty with the learning curve. The user guide tells me to make sure I "checkout the video tutorials which explain everything in greater depth" but these seem to be extremely well hidden. Probably my biggest concern at this stage is whether it is 'best practise' to use a child theme with DMS2 and if so is there a 'vanilla' style one available.

Cheers,

Mick Peterson

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Its always good practice to use a child theme as anyone in this community will tell you to keep your changes from getting overwritten during an update. 

Danny our resident guru put this together  https://github.com/Dannyholt/Skeleton.

Hope this helps

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi Mick,

Yeah, you're best using a child theme, as it will give you peace of mind that your custom CSS will not be overwritten by an update to DMS. You're free to use the one I created which Aires linked above.

Posted · Report post

Danny, if a site is already done in DMS2, how do you transfer it to a childtheme?

Posted · Report post

Nothing as far as I know, your child theme should inherit all the settings, layouts etc...

I would perform a backup just as a precaution.

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Posted · Report post

No problem.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys, Danny, i just tried to upload your child theme to the HCP pumps site and it just wont let me do it - i get this message:

By the way - when prompted i selected "NO" for the dropdown "Upgrade existing theme?" Should i have said yes instead?

Installing Theme from uploaded file: skeleton-basic.zip

The Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin was unable to handle requests for this upgrade. Unfortunately, this setup may be incompatible with the plugin.

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

This theme requires a parent theme. Checking if it is installed…

Preparing to install DMS 1.1.1

Downloading install package from https://wordpress.org/themes/download/dms.1.1.1.zip

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

Destination folder already exists. /usr/www/users/hcppum/temp/wp-content/themes/dms/

Theme install failed.

Theme installed successfully.

Posted · Report post

Not sure whats going on there, you should just be able to install Skeleton without any issues, as its a super basic child theme. If you're having issues, then you most likely have some kind of plugin active causing the error. I am not even sure what that message is about what is easy theme and plugin ?

Also, what version of DMS are you using ?