DMS 2 Ninja Forms Conflict with DMS

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello,

I am a long time user of the Ninja Forms plugin for WordPress and I have come to find that the plugin and DMS2 do not play well together.

When I implement a basic Ninja Form on any page it generally works fine.  However, once I adjust the settings on the same form so that it works as a multi-part form, things get really rough.  By this point, once the new form settings are saved, I can no longer load the page on the front-end w DMS2.  I simply get a blank page with no content whatsoever and none of the underlying template elements.  It's literally a white blank page whether it's being loaded with DMS editor in Chrome or FF, Safari etc.  

Let's assume at this point that the only 'content' that should be appearing on the page (that no longer does) is the form itself and a couple of images, i.e. SSL certificate.

Once this series of events occurs, the only remedy that allows for loading the page in the DMS editor and to once again see the theme elements is by inactivating Ninja Forms.

I'm hoping we might be able to kick off a productive discussion about what might be causing this issue so that I can properly dial in the dev folks at Ninja Forms in case it's something that needs to be addressed on their end.  

Thanks in advance for helping to find a solution. 

Page: http://downpaymentassistance.net/request-credit  - at present, I have Ninja Forms inactivated.

Edited by topjaba

31 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The result is in.  W3 Total Cache is the culprit. 

Thanks to all - especially Danny! - for sharing your input.  

Posted · Report post

Let's try and debug the issue first. Could you activate Ninja Form on a test install or your main site - if you get the blank page then please right click and 'inspect element' - in the console please copy any errors and let us know what they are. 

Alternatively activate the plugin and then let us know and let us test this for you. 

Also try disabling all non-PageLines plugins as well and just PL stuff and Ninja forms activated. Do you still get the problem? 

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Martin.

I reactivated the Ninja Form located at http://downpaymentassistance.net/request-credit.  Once I do this, literally everything gets stipped off the page, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any errors.

As for your last question, I have already left all PL plugins active while inactivating all non-pl plugins and then applied one by one until I discovered that that the issue lies with Ninja Forms.

Appreciate your help!

Posted · Report post

Can you enable WP_Debug in your wp-config.php file and see if an error is printed.

Also what do you mean by multi-part form ?

Posted · Report post

Danny, 

I believe the WP_Debug should be implemented now.

A multi-part form is a form that is divided into separate parts with the final part containing the submit button. 

Posted · Report post

No error is printed even with WP_Debug set to true. Therefore, can you contact our helpdesk with the following information.

A link to this topic so they have something to reference

A link to the site in question

Provide your admin username/password

Make sure all other plugins are disabled (see if your issue persists)

Make sure DMS debug mode is active.

hello at pagelines dot com

Posted · Report post

Hello,

I'm just checking in to see if anything has been learned re the this issue as we cannot accept payments on my site until it is resolved.  

Thanks

Posted · Report post

We simply can't test when you have that many plugins active, you're going to have to disable all active plugins except for NinjaForms and NinjaForms Multi-part forms plugins.

Posted · Report post

Done.  

I left all of the Ninja Forms plugins active as well as the plugin that makes the https possible for the same page on which my form will be used for processing payments.

Posted · Report post

In fact before I do any tests, can you do the following please.

Can you add a similar form or even better use that form on a page that doesn't require SSL please, as it could well be related to Ninja Forms and SSL.

Posted · Report post

This is done.

I had to reactivate the sidebar manager light plugin (recommended by PL for easy custom widget areas).

When the form is added to the respective sidebar used by the page template, the page becomes nothing but white space.  Remove the form from the sidebar and the page once again becomes visible.

I'm not sure how to proceed given the addition of the form on any page (not just ssl) utterly blanks out the page.

Posted · Report post

OK, you're going to need to disable all active plugins except for Ninja Forms and Ninja Forms Multi part, then see if you still get the white screen of death.

Posted · Report post

Everything is disabled and I now cannot load the page in the DMS editor.  I am experiencing everything as described in my initial complaint re the issue.

Posted · Report post

topjaba - Can you email me that Multi-part forum plugin, as its a premium plugin so I can test this myself on one of my sites.

danny at pagelines dot com

When emailing me, please provide a link to this topic, so I now what you're referring to.

Posted · Report post

Sure, Danny.  Is the email address: help@pagelines.com?

Posted · Report post

I added my email in my response above - danny at pagelines dot com

Posted · Report post

Hi there.  Just checking in to see if there are any new insights regarding the issue reported.

Posted · Report post

FYI, I have to reactivate my several of our plugins as of the usability our site is crippled without them.  If you need them to be inactivated again, can you please indicate a window so that I can plan accordingly? Danny, I realize you're across The Pond, so I'm happy to inactivate the plugins each night around 11pm PDT on my end until the matter is resolved.  Thanks

Posted · Report post

OK, so I've just installed the plugin you sent me and created a basic form with multi part and I have no issue with the form working. I receive no white screen of death. Therefore, the only conclusion I can come up with is that you're using either a settings on the form that I haven't used or there is something else at work here, such as your server configuration is effecting the plugin somehow.

As a white screen of death usually means a PHP error.

http://quick.as/JpXnfkyp

Posted · Report post

Danny, 

Does this communication from Ninja Forms offer any clues?  I'm not sure how to get the form to appear on the specific HTTPS page without creating a custom widget area.  Is it possible to use the boilerplate WP templates to achieve what i need to on this one page?

Kevin replied
Jun 11 6:37am
Hey Jarrod,

When I visit your site here: 
https://downpaymentassistance.net/request-credit

I get several errors like this one:

[blocked] The page at 'https://downpaymentassistance.net/request-credit/' was loaded over HTTPS, but ran insecure content from 'http://downpaymentassistance.net/wp-content/plugins/sidebar-manager-light/css/otw_sbm.css?ver=3.9.1': this content should also be loaded over HTTPS.

I don't see any CSS applied to your page. None of the Ninja Forms JS or CSS files are loaded, either.

I'm in Chrome on Mac. Do you see something different when you're logged-in?

Kevin Stover
The Ninja Forms Team

Conversation started by Jarrod Bassin
Jun 10 9:27am

Hello, I originally thought my issue had to do with my site's theme (DMS2 by Pagelines) but two frustrating weeks later, I find myself right back where I started and crippled in my attempts to implement a multi-part form that can receive payments.

Here is a snippet from the discussion in the Pagelines forum about the issue located here: http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/35256-ninja-forms-conflict-with-dms/#entry210151

"When I implement a basic Ninja Form on any page it generally works fine. However, once I adjust the settings on the same form so that it works as a multi-part form, things get really rough. By this point, once the new form settings are saved, I can no longer load the page on the front-end w DMS2. I simply get a blank page with no content whatsoever and none of the underlying template elements. It's literally a white blank page whether it's being loaded with DMS editor in Chrome or FF, Safari etc.

Let's assume at this point that the only 'content' that should be appearing on the page (that no longer does) is the form itself and a couple of images, i.e. SSL certificate.

Once this series of events occurs, the only remedy that allows for loading the page in the DMS editor and to once again see the theme elements is by inactivating Ninja Forms.

I'm hoping we might be able to kick off a productive discussion about what might be causing this issue so that I can properly dial in the dev folks at Ninja Forms in case it's something that needs to be addressed on their end.

Thanks in advance for helping to find a solution.

Page: http://downpaymentas.../request-credit - at present, I have Ninja Forms inactivated."

I have already been through the whole routine of inactivating all of my plugins etc. to facilitate troubleshooting. When I do this it renders my site unusable which is quite undesirable it dead-stops our online advertising initiatives and prevents existing customers from being able to complete their home loan applications etc.

Repeating these steps should reveal the problems:

1) visit: http://downpaymentassistance.net - at first, everything seems fine
2) next, visit the secure page where I placed the multi-part form with the Stripe plugin: https://downpaymentassistance.net/request-credit - you'll either see white space or you'll see the site's file tree
3) the form resides in the widget area of the site titled "Payment Form" and the form itself if called 'Stripe Payment Form". If you test by changing the page or widget area where the form resides, again you'll encounter the white screen or file tree.

Just a little forewarning that the editor to the sites' theme, DMS2, is on the front-end of the site and can only be implemented in Chrome by navigating to the site one logged into the wp-admin. It's entirely different than traditional themes but it's user friendly once you get used to the quirks.

All plugins are up to date.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, this isn't something we can assist you with, as it doesn't appear to have any connection to DMS. You're going to have to disable your HTTPS and see if this resolves your issue, if it does then if you can tell us how you have configured your SSL, we may be able to assist.

Posted · Report post

Indeed it does have something to do with the SSL running on the page but I'm frustrated about trying to troubleshoot this on the front end as I cannot bypass DMS to do so.  I'm trying to change the template solely for the page displaying the form over SSL and each time I make a change to a widget area etc it's effecting the change throughout the entire site even though the page itself has it's own template (not set to global) and the other pages have their own templates which should not be effected bc I make change to another page and it's template.  

Is there a way to disable DMS templates entirely for a certain page thus allowing for the application of a WP specific template to load in the absence of a DMS page template?

Finally, it's been weeks that I have been troubleshooting this issue and during all this time I haven't been to collect a single payment as a result of not being able to display my form without the page crashing.  Are you aware of anyone that might be a suitable candidate to troubleshoot the issue for a fee?  I just need to get the matter resolved.  

Posted · Report post

There is no way for you disable DMS templates at all, not even for a specific template as far as I am aware.

However, if you're changing a widget on a specific template and those changing are effecting all other pages, this is because you're using the same sidebar. What I would suggest is for you to create a sidebar and assign to that page so it is unique, then the changes you make will only effect that page/template. You can do this by following our documentation on how to create custom sidebars - http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/custom-sidebars

As this isn't related to DMS, we can't provide support. However, you're free to contact one of our third party store developers for assistance, who may be able to help - http://docs.pagelines.com/resources

Posted · Report post

Hi Topjaba and Danny, 

I am not sure how much or even if this will help but I use ninja forms and many of their extensions and have noticed a few things that cause ninja forms to break on the dms system....

1) If you are using the layout extension with multiples columns all of the columns need to be filled or your form will go a little wacky and will lack the submit button

2) If you are creating long forms you may need to update your perspective .ini to reflect higher charcter settings <-- see your host for instructions as they vary

3) Using the sidebar option on the backend instead of using the shortcode on the page will sometimes break the entire page -- this seems random but I assume its related to various plugin incompatiabilities, I have opted to always use the shortcode and have the sidebar append box turned off

I hope this helps :) 

Cre8ively,

Cassey