circ2013

Advanced Member

• Members

• 36 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hello DMS Friends,

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this.  Please let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else.

I am being tasked with adding a staff intranet site as well as an owner/members only site to an existing brochure site.  I am building it in a Multi Site install and I wondered if anyone had recommendations for making the members site password protected, but allow users to register for accounts that would be approved by an admin?

For the Intranet site, all staff will use a single username and password that account will only have subscribe permissions.  The intranet will just be a place for notices and alerts, latest news...  I think I have this site complete and working as intended.

However, in the Owner/Member site, each owner needs their own username and password.  There are 33 owners/members.  They will want to log in to get sales docs, performance stats, bylaws, and other resources...

I have now tried a few different plugins such as Login/Logout, Pie Register, More Privacy Options, and Peter's Login Redirect, but I keep running into issues.

The main issue being that when I set the site to 'Only visible to registered users' (using the More Privacy Options plugin), when you go to the site on the front end it displays the login page (as it should), but for users that haven't registered yet and click 'Register' for an account, the wp-signup.php is blank - No registration form.

So, I tried installing Pie Register to see if I could come up with a workaround for this, but that didn't work either.  When I went to the main site that is visible to the public and tried to register for an account, I got the same blank wp-signup.php page.

Is this an issue with WP-Multi site or something in the way I have one site visible to the public, one site that only uses a single username/password, so no registrations, and then the other I want users to be able to register for access?

Thanks,

Scott

#2 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

I moved this to off-topic as not exactly a DMS 'issue' or particularly PageLines orientated

Some community members may have other advise but i have seen many use S2 member plugin for membership sites - seems to work well. http://www.s2member.com/

Any issues with specific plugins you are advised to take this up with the Plugin author directly. 

#3 nfp1900

nfp1900

Advocate

• Members

• 304 posts
  • LocationLondon (the original one)
  • Framework Version:The Latest

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

With most of these member sites you need to specifically hide the pages by wrapping the content in a shortcode. You could try Restrict Content Pro http://pippinsplugins.com/.

I have used Magic Members but it's designed for paid subscriptions which is probably not what you are after. The very simple Profile Builder plugin allowed me to create a custom registration for one site that allows you to choose moderation of all subscribers or email authentication. It seems that with any registration form with Wordpress you will get spam attempts. 

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

I haven't used any membership plugins as I have never created a similar site as to what you're trying to build. However, like Martin mentioned you will probably want to look at using a membership plugin such as S2 Member, it has as far as I am aware all the features you require.

#5 circ2013

circ2013

Advanced Member

• Members

• 36 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Guys.  I will look into these plugins.  I did just learn that I might be able to just go ahead and create the 33 accounts and then be able to deactivate the registration link.  I may deactivate the forgot your password link as well and make the members reach out to the office admin to get their passwords reset.  Anyway, I appreciate the help and will look into those membership plugins.

Thanks again,

Scott

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

No problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DMS2