Photo
Academy

PageLines Academy 2.0 Released

tutorials learning videos how-to education learn dms expert advice pagelines dms

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada
  • Framework Version:Developer

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hey All,

We've just relaunched http://pagelinesacademy.com with a bunch of new videos for DMS 2.  You can get the PageLines Interface course for free by signing up on the site.  It's an overview of the entire toolbox in PageLines DMS.

We've also released 60+ lessons on using DMS 2 that are available on a paid membership plan, with access to exclusive forums, extra goodies (like sections and plugins) as well as access to new courses/lessons as we release them.  

Get started for free and take it for a test drive.  If you're ready to jump in, get 50% off your first month with the coupon code below!

LAUNCH50

James.

• CliffordP, nadielp, batman and 2 others like this

#2 Henry Perkins†

Henry Perkins

Friendly Contributor

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Sounds awesome! I'll check it out later today.

Are there any discounts (aside from this introductory coupon) for customers who are already paying $30/month?

Thanks James!

#3 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hey Henry,

Do you mean people who are paying for PageLines?  At the moment, nothing more than that as we're two separate entities.  But we're hoping to increase the value through section/plugin releases from time to time.

James.

• Henry Perkins likes this

#4 jagipson†

jagipson

Advanced Member

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

@James Giroux Love the idea, not loving the extra cost, might give it a go I could use some pointers

#5 indy_lw†

indy_lw

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 9 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 2

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:25 AM

I wanted to give it a try and registered for the Bronze free course, but I can go nowhere except an other page to ask me to sign up again. 

Could you please help to check?

Thanks!

#6 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

Hey there! You should have received a welcome email with specifics but on the course library page, select the PageLines Interface course and you'll be brought to the course overview page. Select start this course to add it to your profile or just click on the first lesson under the overview video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who has signed up already!  Wow!  We've been steadily making improvements over the last two weeks and will continue to refine things and add new courses.  Thanks for giving it a shot!

James.

• greenfly likes this

#8 primetime†

primetime

Advanced Member

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Nice homepage photo.

#9 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

thanks!

#10 elpasographics†

elpasographics

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Is this "Academy" the reason there is such poor support for Pagelines available to subscribers? To extract additional fees from existing customers? I find the lack of support for the DMS platform to be amazing. Has anyone ever considered making it easy to find out how to do simple things?

• Michael Daly likes this

#11 greenfly†

greenfly

Advocate

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

Is this "Academy" the reason there is such poor support for Pagelines available to subscribers? To extract additional fees from existing customers? I find the lack of support for the DMS platform to be amazing. Has anyone ever considered making it easy to find out how to do simple things?

PageLines Academy is not affiliated with PageLines Inc. 

IF you are having problems with DMS please create a forum topic and we will help. 

• James Giroux likes this

#12 adramelech†

adramelech

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 3 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 2

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Wow, just wow. You know, DMS 2 is sold as a product that is simple, anyone who doesn't know anything about building websites can use it.  

Yet, the $30 bucks a month I'm being charged for help, and now a comapny wants me to pay even more for Tutor Videos that should just come with the thing for free.  This really goes against the entire sales pitch of DMS 2 and proves my point about DMS 2. I don't know why I upgraded to it.

I see people who have no idea about websites building stuff with other companies like WIX for free that doesn't look generic. Yet for someone who invested in DMS 2 that wants it to look different they have to pay for a theme as well if they have no idea how to program in CSS. 

it appears, for a website builder that is supposed to be easy and self efficient out of the box, that we just have to keep paying more to get something we like. 

After playiing with DMS 2 I can't get anything to look good. It's just looks like a bunch of boxes and section dropped on a page with no togetherless.. with no smooth feel.. no graphics.. rounded corners for boxes, different shading etc..  I don't know Css. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I have been able to create FREE websites using online templates, drag and drop in about 30 minutes than what I can produce with the DMS 2, and $30 a month that I'm paying for.

I know you guys have nothing to do with Pagelines. But oddly, I find the whole thing insane. It's supposed to be the end all website creator, that a moron can use, to build a great looking website. But apparently it's not.

• Michael Daly likes this

#13 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Hey Adramelech,

I understand your frustration.  One of the things we've really tried to do at PageLines Academy is help people understand the concepts of PageLines DMS.  I understand that if you don't have a lot of CSS knowledge, you're going to be stuck using the existing options.  The Academy is designed to help people in your position get as much out of PageLines as they possibly can.

Yep it costs money.  It costs money because we've invested almost a year into learning DMS, actively developing for it, building a web platform to teach it, purchasing all the equipment to make the videos and then marketing and providing support to people who use it. 

We've tried to keep the barrier to entry quite low and we've also chosen to give away the most popular course for free.  

PageLines DMS is a paradigm shift from many other platforms and if you're new to PageLines but not new to design, these courses will help accelerate your uptake of the platform.  If you're new to web design or design principles in general, then this may not be for you.  There are a lot of other options out there to help you learn how to code and how to design.  I'd be happy to recommend them to you if you're interested.

I know that does't help you out now and maybe in the future there'll be a way for us to help you get going.

Thanks for your valuable feedback, it will help us shape PageLines Academy to reach more people and help them get to know the platform even better.

James.

#14 codygale

codygale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

Does anyone know why a new user (me) cannot start a new thread?

#15 DataBlender†

DataBlender

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 2 posts
  • Framework Version:2.1.9.2

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Hey Adramelech,

I understand your frustration.  One of the things we've really tried to do at PageLines Academy is help people understand the concepts of PageLines DMS.  I understand that if you don't have a lot of CSS knowledge, you're going to be stuck using the existing options.  The Academy is designed to help people in your position get as much out of PageLines as they possibly can.

Yep it costs money.  It costs money because we've invested almost a year into learning DMS, actively developing for it, building a web platform to teach it, purchasing all the equipment to make the videos and then marketing and providing support to people who use it. 

We've tried to keep the barrier to entry quite low and we've also chosen to give away the most popular course for free.  

PageLines DMS is a paradigm shift from many other platforms and if you're new to PageLines but not new to design, these courses will help accelerate your uptake of the platform.  If you're new to web design or design principles in general, then this may not be for you.  There are a lot of other options out there to help you learn how to code and how to design.  I'd be happy to recommend them to you if you're interested.

I know that does't help you out now and maybe in the future there'll be a way for us to help you get going.

Thanks for your valuable feedback, it will help us shape PageLines Academy to reach more people and help them get to know the platform even better.

James.

James - While I can appreciate the want to keep these businesses separate, in reality, they're not. You are part of the leadership team in each of the 3 companies involved in Pagelines. This doesn't really lend any credence to your statement that they are separate entities. Nor does it help those of us that are NOT professional developers feel comfortable in our purchase of your product(s). In fact, to me this would seem more like a conflict of interest as you are the Head of Community Development at PageLines, the CEO of Groundwork.cc, and you share your expertise in a number of Academy videos.  I suppose I should take a portion of the blame as I did not research your product terribly well before my purchase and had not realized that the level of included support was minimal and relied heavily on community forums. Were I a more experienced developer, I'm sure this would suffice. However, my background is more in Project Management & Database Design, rather than website developement, so the offered support is lackluster at best for someone of my skill level. I see the benefits of your product, but I would beg you and your team to more accurately state in your marketing that even though it is a drag & drop interface, unless you want your website to have exactly the same layout as anyone else that uses the DMS framework or themes, you really do need to have something more than basic experience in web design / development.

I worked for Intuit's QuickBase team until recently and they suffer the same issue as your product - great product, great team, and the expectation that they have little to no need to provide education on the product as it is so easy to learn. I can tell you, QuickBase can be easy to learn - just as I'm sure Pagelines can be - given the appropriate amount of time. Unfortunately, for the first two years of me working in QuickBase to develop database solutions, most of mine looked like sad copies of one another.

I say all of that to say this: 

1. Please more clearly illuminate the relationships between Pagelines, Groundwork.cc, and Pagelines Academy on the Pagelines website OR consider a more complete separation of the companies OR lose all pre-tense and state that you're really one team working on 3 different facets in an attempt to maximize potential profit.
  2. Please more clearly state the limited support available through Pagelines directly
  3. Please more clearly state the reliance on community forums for Support
  4. While the Pagelines Support "Answers" section does have valuable information, it is in desperate need for instructions that go much further than they currently do. (e.g. I wanted to find instructions for adding a button and was happy to find this page - http://answers.pagel...s-labels-badges- and then sorely disappointed when it gave no instruction on how to actually use the code that's provided for the button.)
  5. For those of us who've purchased the DMS framework or themes from Pagelines, I would think that access to Pagelines Academy courses would be free. At the very least, you could offer it for a limited number of users and for a limited time period or at a discounted rate. I agree with Adramelech in that it is a bit of an insult to find that not only is the product no where near as easy to understand as it's advertised, but then I am now expected to pay an additional monthly fee to learn the product from a 2nd company that states it is not affiliated, but is in actuality run by the same team as the ones that developed the product in the first place.

Blake Harrison

DataBlender

#16 DataBlender†

DataBlender

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 2 posts
  • Framework Version:2.1.9.2

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

PageLines Academy is not affiliated with PageLines Inc. 

IF you are having problems with DMS please create a forum topic and we will help. 

Greenfly - I beg to differ. Pagelines, Groundwork.cc, and Pagelines Academy are operated by the same team. They may be legally separate entities, but they are most certainly affiliated with one another.

#17 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 177 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

Hey Blake,

PageLines is an ecosystem with many developers working together to create products and services to help others build websites.  We have third party developers who have created extensions, blogs and tutorial sites for the community to use.  That does not mean that they are all owned and operated by PageLines.   PageLines Academy was funded, developed and is currently operated completely independently of PageLines Inc.  Subscription fees paid to PageLines Academy go to Groundwork which pays its staff and the operating costs of running the service.  PageLines Inc. doesn't receive any revenue from PageLines Academy subscription fees.  

The only link between PageLines Inc. and Groundwork is me.  I've been public about my involvement with both and I don't see it as a conflict but as an opportunity.  Companies work together on mutually beneficial opportunities all the time.  In fact, every third party extension, external blog or community site and service around the PageLines ecosystem is a partnership whether formal or informal.  PageLines, and much of the WordPress ecosystem works this way; together.  

As to the final points in your comments:

1. We've made it obvious in the footer at PageLines Academy that Groundwork runs it.  http://cl.ly/image/1D3Y0A3T1W3S

2. As recently as a few weeks ago there was an update on the blog talking about support at PageLines.  http://www.pagelines...ing-a-makeover/

3. See the post in #2 for how our support environment works.  It was also emailed to every single person who gets PageLines emails.

4. Apply the code that's provided in any textbox or text accepting option in PageLines (like iBox text areas, Media Box title, etc.).  You can use the post/page editor in WordPress as well to add any button shortcodes and they will work.

5. PageLines invests a lot of resources in support and I can tell you that they continue to invest more.  I'm not sure what it's like at Intuit but if you've ever bought a theme for WordPress from one of the other marketplaces, chances are their support experience falls well short of what's offered by PageLines.  PageLines may not have the video environment that PLA does but they've got a huge and helpful community here on the forum, a knowledgebase that is updated all the time, installation documentation and a quick start guide to help you get going.  Not to mention you'll get a response every time you email hello@pagelines.com.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it's helpful for us and we'll review that answer to see if we can make it clearer and we'll update that asap.  

James.

#18 jsantiago†

jsantiago

• DMS Subscriber†
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Signed up last night. Great stuff. Keep it going!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Academy, tutorials, learning, videos, how-to, education, learn dms, expert advice, pagelines, dms