• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reality

reality

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Installing my website, which uses DMS, on localhost - almost all of my sections disappear. For some reason only "post loop" remains, and all media boxes, text boxes and so on are invisible or gone. I am still at dms 1.0.4 (I want to have it working locally before upgrading due to prior problems with DMS upgrades.)

mod_rewrite is enabled and permalinks are fine, just DMS content is missing. I've also tried exporting/importing the json settings from live to local but it made no difference. Is there something special I need to do in order to use dms on localhost??? It's driving me mad  :( 

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:35 AM

Once you've installed everything on the new site have you Flushed the LESS/CSS so it regenerates? DMS control panel > site settings > resets > Flush Less. Had someone with a similar issue before and it was down to the css/less urls needing to be recompiled.

#3 reality

reality

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I have "Global Options > Resets > Flush Caches" button - is this what you meant? I tried it just now on local host, no change. Tried disabling my hyper cache plugin and doing again, still no change. I'm still missing the sections etc..

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17966 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

When you say disappear, are you saying that they were present when you first installed DMS ?

Also, DMS 1.0.4 is almost a year old, you should be keeping your DMS up to date. We can't really provide support to users who are experiencing issues with such an out of date version of DMS.

Can you provide the following information please.

1. Are your sections disappearing locally and on your live site or just locally ?

2. How have you created your local environment i.e. used an app such as MAMP/XAMPP ?

3. Why are you using a cache plugin when working locally and why is it active when you're still working on the site? Cache plugins should be the very last thing you enable.

4. Can you provide screenshots of:

a ) Your DMS sections so we can see what it looks like

b ) Can you enable DMS debug mode and take a screenshot of it.

c ) Are there are any errors in your browser when viewing your local site

#5 reality

reality

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. I know my version is out of date - any time I try to update DMS is causes problems with my site, sometimes leading to the white screen of death. Usually it has trouble deleting the old DMS folder and exits mid install. Anyway, this is why I haven't upgraded and would prefer to get it working on localhost first. I do want to get to latest DMS once I have everything working and am comfortable it will restore if anything goes wrong again. I apologies for incomplete information here as I'm a bit of a novice to this stuff I'm afraid :-/

1. They are only disappearing locally. I copy all files via ftp, export the database via phpmyadmin, and import to local, then update wp-config.php to reflect this. Everything else seems to work on localhost except for the missing dms sections.

2. I am on a mac. Not using MAMP as apache, php and mysql are already installed. I have enabled mod_rewrite on localhost.

3. OK I've disabled all cache plugins... in fact, I've disabled all plugins locally for testing this issue.

4. (How do enable DMS debug mode? Is it standard WP debug mode? Trying to figure out how to add attachments here :-/ but the error reads:
"Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /Users/paulduffy/Sites/site_dev/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1142"

And line 1142 of wp-db.php is as follows:

1141.  if ( WP_DEBUG ) {
    1142.     $this->dbh = mysql_connect( $this->dbhost, $this->dbuser, $this->dbpassword, $new_link, $client_flags );
    1143. } else {
    1144.    $this->dbh = @mysql_connect( $this->dbhost, $this->dbuser, $this->dbpassword, $new_link, $client_flags );
    1145. }

4. © No errors when not in debug mode

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17966 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

I think the issue is likely caused in how you have setup your local environment, as I have no issue with DMS using MAMP. I would recommend downloading MAMP and see if you encounter the same issue.

Using MAMP is recommend and will make your life much easier - http://codex.wordpre...r_Mac_With_MAMP

Let us know if or if not you encounter the same missing sections when using MAMP. If you do not then it is related to how you have configured your local environment or how you setup your site.

#7 reality

reality

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

OK I was trying to do without mamp. Installing mamp now gives me other problems (cannot connect to server) which I would need to resolve first, just so I can test if this is the problem with dms. All other wordpress features presently work fine on localhost. I am leaning towards moving away from dms altogether, due to constant problems I've had using it which eat up way more of my time than drag-and-drop ability saves.

Thank you for your support anyway.

#8 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

@reality 

Let us know if we can help with the other problems and what they are. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: localhost, dms, sections