DMS 2 Footer i DMS 2? What is happening?

Question

Posted · Report post

I have now made a few changes in 2 sites running DMS 2. None of them had anything to do with the footer. However all my footer content are missing in both sites????

On one of the sites I had to put content in 4 times. 

Does any one else hav this issue? Crazy!

22 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Do you have a link to your site? Could you enable debug for us please on the sites?

Posted · Report post

You can take a look at this site peterhjalmarsson.se and yes I have enabled debug for you. Now it happens every time i go in and maka a change. Every time!

Posted · Report post

Can you record your issue with Jing or similar application, so we can see the issue first hand. As I have just added a number of sections to my Footer Template area and when I publish/refresh the changes are there.

Also, if you disable all active plugins does the issue persists?

Posted · Report post

I can not record anything because I don´t know exactly when or why it happens.  The only thing it would show is that once the content is there and then it is gone. I have also produced lots of website using DMS 2. But this has now happened since the latest release.

The senario is that I go in and do a change. Any change on any section. Then save. All is fine. 

But when I log out and visit the site, the content is gone. Everything that has been put in the footer section. It could be a textbox a widget or a social thing that is usually there. The section it self is still there but without content.

I am aware that you often are unable to recreate thing that has gone bad with DMS so this was mainly a question if anyone else 

have had this issue. It is probably a plug. I noticed that the latest protools plug in doesn´t work with DMS 1.8. But since that was 

a beta no one is to blame.

Maybe It could be my child them, since there are things missing in that to. I have used the one from the tools. There was a string missing

that I had to put in in order to have the language files to work. Stated here http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/34729-language-problem-in-dms2/?hl=language

Is there another starter them for DMS2?

Thanks

Posted · Report post

No I will definitely try that! Thanks!

Posted · Report post

So again there is really something strange going on. Now I am on a different site. In order to get the language to display correct I had to duplicate the footer area, and then go in and hide one language on each page. I did ok up until the final page BAM!! the footer are gone!!

On both language. I tried to "unhide" the id but there is nothing there. This is really starting to piss me of. How am I suppose to make sites with DMS when this shit happens all the time.

Really..

If someone wants to take a peak i will gladly push the site live. Then you can go in and se for your selfe. I can not figure this out!

And I am not making this up!

Posted · Report post

I don't think this is related to my child theme either, since I have that on the same site without DMS 2 only the BETA. This only happens on every site i have created on DMS 2 and the latest release!

Posted · Report post

I made a section of the footer content since it always disappears. I thought that was a smart idea. However as you can see from the attached picture it wasn't. The only option given is to break the link. BUT THE CONTENT IS STILL MISSING! I also made a video. but of course the 5 minutes passed before the shit hit the fan so to speak. The site is live http://grandhoteljonkoping.se

And the section I have created are gone.. I can not put it anywhere..

I will be glad to send you a zipfile of the complete site if you are willing to recreate it. You can use duplicator to set it up locally.

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild-2014-06-06-kl.-13.11.22

Posted · Report post

I am not exactly sure what it is you're trying to do or what your issue is, as you're being rather vague.  Therefore, can you provide the exact steps to create your footer, such as:

* What is the footer used for

* What sections/content is being added to the footer area

Also, nobody other than yourself has reported issues with their footer content disappearing which inclines me to think that this could well be related to plugins or your server configuration, especially as this has happened to your on other sites created which may be located on the same server.

You also have over twenty plus plugins active, you're going to need to disable all plugins and see if this resolves your issue.

You're also using Nicks Base theme as your child theme, do not use this any more as Nick no longer supports his products. You can either create your own or use the one I created here - http://dannyholt.github.io/skeleton

Posted · Report post

Vague..? I have disabled everything! And have tried not to use any child theme. Problems still there. And just because no one else have reported it. Doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist. However I will figure this out eventually.

Thanks..

Posted · Report post

Just because you have not used a child theme and disabled all plugins doesn't mean you have been clear. All you have said is that you have added content to your footer and it keeps disappearing.

I have about 40 test sites, all running the latest version of DMS with either zero plugins or a couple plugins on each site. Each site has sections and content in the Footer area and not once has any of this content/sections been removed or disappeared. That is why I am saying you're being vague, can you provide more information.

Such as:

What have you added to the Footer, i.e. what sections, how have they been configured, do they contain custom code ?

If you can provide the exact steps as to what you have done and what is happening, we can try to resolve your issue.

Posted · Report post

Hm?! I have been clear. If you read the thread.

I have said before (in this thread) that the issue regards the footer area. And that it regards anything put in the footer area.

Text box, media box or what ever. It does not matter what I put there. The whole are (that is the footer area with all it's content with or without custom code)  Will disappear. 

Here is one senario.

Step 1

Target the footer area

Step 2

Drag a 3 column to the footer area. (Not always, sometimes I skip this and set size for each box to with 4)

Step 3

Put anything in the first (left) column. But for the record a text box. (But it could be anything)

Step 3

Ad content in that text box

Step 4

Ad a tex box in column nr 2

Step 4

Save

Step 5

Ad content to that text box

Step 6

Ad a text box in column 3

Step 7

Ad content to that text box

Step 8 Save

Now the footer looks as I want. But if I do something like go to another page..

Then BAM! out of the blue, the content I have put in the footer area are gone. 

The footer area as you se now is like I want it to be in the Swedish site. But if you look in the english site it is gone. I don´t have the strength to put it in there agin. Not now any way.

And yes I have code in the middle textbox. But that is just code for the icon.

Posted · Report post

I stand to be corrected! Yesterday I was working on the site agin, when a section in the templet area suddenly disappeared. So this has to do with sections, not just sections in the footer area.  

Posted · Report post

If you're experiencing sections disappearing, as far as I can tell this has to be related to either:

1. Plugins you have installed, disable all of them for a set period of time and try to work on your site and see if sections disappear in that time.

2. Your server, if you disable all active plugins and follow the suggestion in #1 and sections keep disappearing, then this leads me to believe the issue is server related.

I have since you reported this, been dragging and dropping multiple sections which different configurations into the Footer area, published the changes and then worked on a different page inside the template area for X amount of time. I then made several changes to multiple templates in the template area and not once did any sections disappear.

So Peter, I know you're frustrated with this, anyone would be, but the likely cause of the issue you're experiencing is one or both of the suggestions above.

Posted · Report post

But the thing is it happens both locally running MAMP and on my Virtual Server live. But I will disable all plug and see what happens locally first. This is a pretty active site so I don't not dare tamper with the live one at the moment. And this is not just one site. It happens on a lot of them. All having different plugs. But perhaps there is one plug in common on all of them..

Thanks!  

Posted · Report post

Hmm, if it is happening both locally and live, then it isn't server related I don't think, unless you have changed the MAMP settings. As I have never experienced this locally or live.

If you haven't changed any settings in MAMP, then it has to be related to a plugin you're using. Keep us posted, if you any other information that may help us diagnose your issue.

Posted · Report post

Just to give an update. This time it happened after i had hidden the footer section on one page. Then the footer content was gone on all pages. This is just if you would like to try to recreate it.

Posted · Report post

Hmm, I am actually having an issue now with my Footer. Can you try and recreate it for me too.

All I did was add a Simple Nav and Masthead to the Footer, then go to the Footers Canvas area options and attempt to either add a background color or a background image. After publishing and clicking refresh, the settings are reverted. 

Posted · Report post

I did, but this time for me it behaved as it should. Sorry! I don´t know what it is. And there is no procedure that is the same.

It just happens, and then everything in the footer is gone, except for the canvas area itself.

Posted · Report post

I've reported the issue of the Footer area not saving changes to sections being configured to our tracker.

Posted · Report post

I have been experiencing this periodically on my site as well. It seems to be related to if I create a new page somewhere on the site the footer dissappears and I have to re-add everything. I've had this happen multiple times in the past few months but I am always able to restore it by adding it back.