DMS 2 Where are the Custom LESS/CSS files located in the directory?

Question

Posted · Report post

The recent update completely messed up my site, and my backups are corrupt, so need to know this ASAP please.

14 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you provide a link to the site in question and also enable DMS debug mode please - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Posted · Report post

Danny

http://cavistons.com/

I've enabled debug.

My custom CSS/LESS is gone, my fixed header and footer (with icons, menus, social links) have been replaced, and the content width is now full screen.

It seemed to happen after the update and after i clicked into the theme customizer to check out the new widget preview thing. I didnt change anything in the customeizer, it just came up like that.

Posted · Report post

What did you recently update ?

As the version of DMS you're using isn't even the latest version. Did you update a plugin ?

Posted · Report post

I updated DMS, and thats what I got, then I restored it from a backup which I made just before the update. So it could be something to do with me going into the theme customizer, which doesnt make much sense because I did that after the update.

Posted · Report post

Im not following you, you updated DMS to what version ? Version 2.0.7 and you got what exactly ?

An issue with your CSS not loading, so you then restored to an earlier back up and still have the same issue ?

Is that correct ?

Also what did you do with the customizer ?

Posted · Report post

Ok so I made a backup, updated to latest DMS, and after I updated it prompted me to take the tour, which I did (why not, I hadn't done it before). The site was as it should have been at this point.

I then saw a message about some new widget preview thing in the customizer, so I went to the customizer and saw this screen: http://grab.by/wJPS . I clicked around the sections but did not do or save anything.

Then I went back to my homepage, refreshed, and all my custom CSS/LESS was not displaying and was missing from the editor, and my fixed header and footer are gone and reverted to the default header/footer, and the content width is now full width like I said.

So I restored from the backup I made, which, for some reason, didn't restore the site to the correct way it was before.

Bottom line (I think) is that something happened when I went into the customiser that seems to have reverted my sites global content back to default.

Posted · Report post

Where did you add your custom CSS/LESS to DMS Toolbar > Custom > Custom CSS/LESS editor ?

When you did the restore, is your custom CSS back there ?

Posted · Report post

Yes that's where I had it. 

And no, it's not back after the restore. The backup made no difference, baffling-ly.

Posted · Report post

How did you make the backup, was it one you created yourself (if so how did you do it ?) or is one from your web host provider? 

Posted · Report post

I made the backup with this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/complete-central-backup/

I've used it before to restore the site and it worked fine, but has been updated since then so may not be working 100% and could be the problem. But I had the problem with my site before I restored from backup. Going into the customizer reverted my sites global content (including custom CSS) to deafult. I'm almost sure that's what did it.

Posted · Report post

OK, I have no experience with that plugin, if you want to do a backup of your site and one that will always work, you need to follow the guide on the WordPress codex.

In your case now, I think the best course of action would be for you to contact your host and see if they have a backup, most decent web host providers do daily backups. If they do, perform a restore and see if your custom CSS returns. Reply here when you have performed a restore via your host.

Also, contact our helpdesk and provide the following information.

* A link to this topic, so they have something to reference.

* A link to the site in question

* Your admin username and password

* Make sure all plugins are disabled

* Make sure DMS debug mode is active if possible ~ DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Posted · Report post

Ok thanks Danny.

Posted · Report post

Danny Actually, do you know where the custom CSS is stored in the file directory? So I can look for it in an older backup.

Posted · Report post

Ask you host to restore from a backup as they should have the backup from the day / hours previous to this happening. They will restore the site install as was so no need to fish for a file in the backup files.