DMS 1 Liquid Web Hosting and 2g Page Load

Question

Posted · Report post

I have a client's site that has a 2gb page load with plug-in disabled. Liquid Web Claims it is DMS 1 and that she needs to upgrade to a vps in order to continue to use the theme (or change themes). Her site is down right now because she can't justify shelling out the money for a vps and we're currently looking to move webhost but I'd like to figure this out. Yes, I understand I could move her to DMS 2 but I have nearly two dozen clients that I would need to change and some won't be easy. Any help is appreciated. 

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

2gb page load? whats the url?

Posted · Report post

That was my response. It's http://londonbakes.com but like I mentioned, her site is down and they won't bring it back up unless she upgrades. We have at least 6 clients running the same set-up on their shared hosting without an issue, so I'm at a loss at how to deal with them (besides move away.)

Posted · Report post

2Gb page size is pretty much impossible, can you quote what they actually said?

Posted · Report post

Hello,

I can confirm that all plugins are disabled. It appears that a single load of your homepage with plugins disabled uses over 2G of memory. This appears to have been an issue for quite some time as well. I would strongly recommend you consider upgrading to our semi-dedicated plan which will enable more virtual memory for your account and prevent further issues with this. If you would like me to change the theme to the default so you can alter your current theme just let me know and I'll gladly make that change.

If I can be of any further assistance just let me know.

Regards,

This was the support response my client received. 

Posted · Report post

Quick update, this is what we heard back: 

"You were hitting the limits, however it wasn't for active users at the time. You had php scripts and such that were still open and stuck running for past users. So new users couldn't access due to these old php scripts still running and using up the ram allotted for your account. As for if it will happen again that is hard to say it really depends on how you have the site coded. As just one small coding error could leave scripting running a long time or using up more resources than they should. But for now you look to be doing fine." 

I'll be looking back through the small bit of code that I added to the her child theme's function file but I'm really not sure what else it could be. 

Posted · Report post

It is back up but they still think it could happen again. I pulled the very small amounts of php code I had written (even though I'm 99% it was fine). This isn't the first time I've had trouble with LW in regards to them blaming the theme for issues though, so I'd like to figure out what is going on. 

Posted · Report post

They've pretty certain it's my client's site (I've fought that battle numerous times before and about 50% of the time it is one of my client's site vs someone else's.) I've chatted with managers over there before as to issues but run into times where there have been stuck processes. We're just going to monitor her site and see if it happens again. 

Posted · Report post

Ok - well if we can help with anything please let us know. 

Posted · Report post

Do you have any plugins installed ? It could be caused by a plugin(s). However, DMS to my knowledge isn't the cause of this, as it would have reported much sooner and most likely caught when testing the update prior to public release.