Photo

To fix no thumbnail in Facebook, delete thumbs in White House?

open graphfacebook thumbnails thumbs delete thumbs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eloise

eloise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hello, I wrote a couple of times before, and you were very helpful, thank you.

I'm still using your White House. I have never been able to share links on Facebook and have the thumbnail show, which really limits my sharing, and makes me very sad, since I'm a cartoonist and I really need images/thumbnails to show.

For many months I have been disallowing Google  to scrape my images, but recently I did allow Facebook. Yet the thumbnails still didn't appear. I have been trying 10 or 12 plugins for days, trying to get them to show, and testing in the debugger.

Now I realize that the debugger can see my icons, and see the thumbnail on my post page, and tells me it's too small, of course. I think I used css to block the WH thumb on my blog, because my full size cartoon is right there, and it doesn't make sense to have a thumbnail right on top of my fullsize image. So even though the thumb does not show on my post, the debugger can see it, and thinks that's the size I want to share.

I would like to stop the thumbs from appearing anywhere on my site, and I think this would also allow Facebook to see my REAL image. Do you have any suggestions on how to block the thumbs in the editor? I see them listed many times in features.php, and I don't want to delete the wrong ones!

Thank you with hope.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17977 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

HI,

WhiteHouse Pro is no longer supported, as it is a legacy theme and has been for nearly two years. If I was you then I would upgrade to DMS as soon as possible.

However, if you install Yoast SEO, it includes options that will include OG:Data which should resolve your issue, so you may want to try that.

Although, personally, you really should upgrade to DMS.

#3 eloise

eloise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Am I in the wrong forum? Sorry. I have plain White House, not Pro. Free. I thought this forum section was for free themes.

I doubt that Yoast will resolve anything, as I've already tried 10 other fixes. The problem, which I just realized last night, is the "thumbs" in the theme. I've never had them in a theme, and forgot they were there. I was just asking how to remove them in code, so Facebook will stop seeing them!

http://donnabarstow.com/

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hi Donna, no you're in the right forum, what Danny was saying is that Whitehouse is now a legacy theme, so is no longer updated or supported. As the theme is so old going forwards you will notice problems begin to occur as WordPress updates it core code.

I would suggest using the facebook delinter - https://developers.f...ook-url-linter/ which allows you to go through and check which content is being pulled from page into facebook.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open graphfacebook thumbnails, thumbs, delete thumbs