Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

To fix no thumbnail in Facebook, delete thumbs in White House?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello, I wrote a couple of times before, and you were very helpful, thank you.

I'm still using your White House. I have never been able to share links on Facebook and have the thumbnail show, which really limits my sharing, and makes me very sad, since I'm a cartoonist and I really need images/thumbnails to show.

For many months I have been disallowing Google  to scrape my images, but recently I did allow Facebook. Yet the thumbnails still didn't appear. I have been trying 10 or 12 plugins for days, trying to get them to show, and testing in the debugger.

Now I realize that the debugger can see my icons, and see the thumbnail on my post page, and tells me it's too small, of course. I think I used css to block the WH thumb on my blog, because my full size cartoon is right there, and it doesn't make sense to have a thumbnail right on top of my fullsize image. So even though the thumb does not show on my post, the debugger can see it, and thinks that's the size I want to share.

I would like to stop the thumbs from appearing anywhere on my site, and I think this would also allow Facebook to see my REAL image. Do you have any suggestions on how to block the thumbs in the editor? I see them listed many times in features.php, and I don't want to delete the wrong ones!

Thank you with hope.

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HI,

WhiteHouse Pro is no longer supported, as it is a legacy theme and has been for nearly two years. If I was you then I would upgrade to DMS as soon as possible.

However, if you install Yoast SEO, it includes options that will include OG:Data which should resolve your issue, so you may want to try that.

Although, personally, you really should upgrade to DMS.

Posted · Report post

Am I in the wrong forum? Sorry. I have plain White House, not Pro. Free. I thought this forum section was for free themes.

I doubt that Yoast will resolve anything, as I've already tried 10 other fixes. The problem, which I just realized last night, is the "thumbs" in the theme. I've never had them in a theme, and forgot they were there. I was just asking how to remove them in code, so Facebook will stop seeing them!

http://donnabarstow.com/

Posted · Report post

Hi Donna, no you're in the right forum, what Danny was saying is that Whitehouse is now a legacy theme, so is no longer updated or supported. As the theme is so old going forwards you will notice problems begin to occur as WordPress updates it core code.

I would suggest using the facebook delinter - https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2010/06/11/debugging-urls-with-the-facebook-url-linter/ which allows you to go through and check which content is being pulled from page into facebook.