Question

Posted · Report post

Hi guys

Perhaps I am being silly, or simply doing it wrong.

I create the page I am happy with and assign it to the template 'page1' for example.

I now want another page with the same template, so I load 'page1'.  This page has different colours, content, and imagery etc, but all of the loaded dms elements share the same IDs as the previous page, which they would if they are the same template.  So I rename this template 'page2', and it still keeps the same ID... ? I tried to unlink the page 2, before recreating the new template file, but it seemed to still keep the same IDs - so is this the best way to do this or am I missing something?

Cheers

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you have created a template with the layout and section you want and have saved this as a template for example Template 1. You then have another page which you want to use the same template, but you want to configure these templates differently and use their section IDs for customization, but you can't because they share the same IDs as the Template 1. So, you basically can't customize them with CSS ?

Is that correct ?

As far as I am concerned this is how a template should work. If you want to add individual customization on a sections that is used on a template on a page by page basis, you should either prefix your custom CSS with the page-id-X class from the body tag or give your section(s) on that template a custom class using the styling classes field.

Posted · Report post

Pretty much bang on Danny mate yeah.  I then create a new template for the new page, that is currently running Template 1 in order to try and separate it from the other page, but it still seems to keep the same ID?  I have gotten around it before by cloning everything for new IDs and deleting the other haha, bit of a mission though.

Posted · Report post

So what you would prefer is when you assign that template to a new page, all the sections have unique IDs, separate from the other pages running that template ?

Posted · Report post

Ideally mate, but then would that template still link to the page?  Probably not as they all have different IDs I guess?

IDeally (get it?), you can save a 'base' template, which applies all new IDs, or a normal template, which means that all pages created after have the same IDs as is current.

Unless theres a trick I'm missing which I might be

Posted · Report post

What do you mean would that template still link to the page ?

Posted · Report post

Yeah essentially mate

Posted · Report post

You need to save custom sections, then those sections will look the same on each page, even if you unlock the template before saving, but any changes you make will be global to that custom section

Posted · Report post

That's fine mate, but whats the situation with saving out a copy of a template, and using that copy as a new template?  Seeing as that new 'copy' actually carries the same IDs as the original template

Posted · Report post

Sorry... I am lost on this? I understood you had a template and then wanted to use it for a new page, but wanted to alter the CSS for that 'new' page (so presumably unlocking the template to make changes). Yet thought you also wanted some sections to look the same across the original template and its unlocked clones and the only way to link them is with custom sections. If, in fact you want the same template layout but not linked to the original, then surely you would either unlock the template and save (and ids are then different - after refresh). Any changes you make to them now will be unique to that section as it has a new id

I am obviously missing something

Posted · Report post

What do you mean would that template still link to the page ?

Yeah essentially mate

I was asking a question, I wasn't sure what you mean't, can you explain please.