DMS 2 mobile menu for dms 2

Question

Posted · Report post

What's the best way to completely disable the mobile menu for dms2? I'm not a fan of it and don't think it's very user-friendly. I'd rather use media queries or some sort of plugin. But instead of trying to go in and manually override all the CSS/media queries/etc./etc. I'd rather just start from scratch. 

Any help would be appreciated!

my site = brightontheday.com

25 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Honestly I was having this issue as well and still do.  They wanted me to send a screen shot of my android and I have no idea how.  NO ONE EVER GOT BACK TO ME.  The mobile menus are messed up and on droid show errors.  I hope they start to look into it.

Posted · Report post

anikonpro You don't know how to screen shot from your phone?? 

Well you could use your browser and just "squish" it until it's around 380-ish px wide and it will go into mobile device view...aka as if you're viewing from mobile device! try that?

Posted · Report post

What's the best way to completely disable the mobile menu for dms2? I'm not a fan of it and don't think it's very user-friendly. I'd rather use media queries or some sort of plugin. But instead of trying to go in and manually override all the CSS/media queries/etc./etc. I'd rather just start from scratch. 

Any help would be appreciated!

my site = brightontheday.com

Hi @brightonkeller 

There is a file in the DMS install > sections > (section) named style.less that uses media queries and tells the site how to behave based on screensize and browser used. add some custom CSS to change the point at which the Nav collapses is pretty straightforward to do. I will locate the code for you now. 

Alternatively - use the simple nav which doesn't collapse. 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies thank you sir!!! that helps -

so I guess I would need to create a sections folder in my child theme and copy over the navs less code?

yeah I could do that - BUT I want it to be fixed? any idea how I can have simple but also fixed? PS: I'm using mega menu.

Posted · Report post

NO ONE EVER GOT BACK TO ME.  The mobile menus are messed up and on droid show errors.  I hope they start to look into it.

Did you create a forum topic for this? please let me know and i will look into this - alternatively please create a new topic and we can help. 

I believe there are two ways to take screenshots from android devices 

press and hold the power and volume down button at the same time for 1-2 seconds. You should then hear a shutter noise and the screen will flash, there will also be screenshot notification icon at the top of the screen, from which you can access your screenshot.

Or, Just press and hold the power button from 1-2 seconds until you get a new menu appear. You then just need to select Take a Screenshot

If you're running Android 2.3 and below then you're going to need to download an app

I found this info by googling 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Martin Davies - you totally didn't have to be so nice/helpful regarding a sans-pagelines issue. THIS IS WHY you rock my socks!! THank you for being awesome :) PS: I'm talking about the droid stuff

Edited by brightonkeller

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies thank you sir!!! that helps -

so I guess I would need to create a sections folder in my child theme and copy over the navs less code?

yeah I could do that - BUT I want it to be fixed? any idea how I can have simple but also fixed? PS: I'm using mega menu.

No Problem - i will provide steps on how to do this - let me get my facts straight first ;)

A thing to know is that you cant have fixed elements on iphones and ipads. iOs webkit doesnt allow for it. 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies - you totally didn't have to be so nice/helpful regarding a sans-pagelines issue. THIS IS WHY you rock my socks!! THank you for being awesome :) PS: I'm talking about the droid stuff

Google is your friend

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies that's cool. but i'm talking about for desktop devices mainly :)

although I'd be willing to argue...just sayin....

Posted · Report post

Google is your friend

pshhh AS IF I didn't know that. I feel like I'm the queen of google. and then I try and do things that are WAY out of my league bc I think I'm invincible. Thank you, google. haha. usually when I come-a-posting on this forum...I've exhausted all resources (ahemmm meaning I've searched to page 3 on google and feel hopeless)

Posted · Report post

@brighton 

Martin Davies that's cool. but i'm talking about for desktop devices mainly :)

although I'd be willing to argue...just sayin....

I think your best solution is to use simple nav to be honest. you can also style simple nav a great deal. 

Posted · Report post

@brightonkeller

What do you reckon? 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies and how do you suggest I make it fixed on desk tops? I need the fixed part!! ugh i hate this forum can we just email? lol

Posted · Report post

@brightonkeller 

Forum is the best way to do this ;) 

Just clarify for me? You want it fixed as in the site scrolls but the header with the nav stays in place as the content scrolls underneath? 

If this is the case just move the contents of your header into the fixed header at the top of you page. http://screencast.com/t/MkvNdeyX3EVW

Posted · Report post

@brightonkeller 

Forum is the best way to do this ;)

Just clarify for me? You want it fixed as in the site scrolls but the header with the nav stays in place as the content scrolls underneath? 

If this is the case just move the contents of your header into the fixed header at the top of you page. http://screencast.com/t/MkvNdeyX3EVW

yes sir - thought that's what fixed meant? haha but yes that's what I mean!!

ummm let me try that...not sure how I missed this whole fixed header part? I'll see what I can do! Thakns for your PROMPT help!

Posted · Report post

ah, you are using DMS1 - so checking your site you do have a fixed nav.

Add simple nav instead or whatever nav you want let us know and we can help with the code to make it fixed 

afterwards -  disable the fixed nav you have already in the `site settings > navbar. 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies wait hold the phone!! why don't I have DMS2? do I have to buy it?? shoot i totes thought I had the newest coolest toy on the block!

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies waittttttttt I don't have that nifty little fixed area?!!! what the heck :(

Posted · Report post

HI brightonkeller

Please, you can take a look to this for DMS2, in the DMS 1.x you don´t have the fixed area

http://www.pagelines.com/pricing/

Posted · Report post

batman I've been a pagelines supporter/person/you-name-it since yall were grass roots. you're telling me I have to pay $100 again? seriously guys?

Posted · Report post

Hi again

If you want the new DMS 2 you need pay for this, but you can use de DMS 1.x.

:)

I updated my DMS 1.x to DMS 2 without any problem, only you use a child theme for your CSS, this is better to ALL update.

Please, take your time to change, here are a good Demo

http://themes.pagelines.com/dms/

Posted · Report post

batman nope I don't need to pay! Just got it :)

Posted · Report post

I´m glad to read this

Please, you can try first in a web test, you copy all your CSS in a text and you follow the instructions (back up, etc etc)

If you need a good Child Theme for DMS 2 you have this

https://github.com/Dannyholt/Skeleton