Update to DMS 2 Went Very Badly

Question

Posted · Report post

Oy. I've updated from DMS 1 to 2 on three other sites before I did this one, no differently. 

I backed up the site with Backup Buddy, installed the Updater plugin, then updated to DMS 2. Now, it completely removed all design I've done, removed the custom CSS I had, and I have NO IDEA what to do now! I've restored the Backup Buddy database, and it did nothing.

HELP!  Thank you.

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

First step, contact your host and see if they can restore from a backup. if you can get the site restored we can take a look at the setup of the site. 

Let us know how you get on,

Posted · Report post

Thank you, Martin - but it occurred to me - shouldn't I restore the DB with Backup Buddy then roll back DMS to v1 and see if that restores everything? If so, how do I do that? I can't just upload v1, it doesn't work.

Posted · Report post

Update: I installed v1 and rolled back my DB via Backup Buddy, so theoretically everything should be the same... but it's still empty of my custom code and design.

Posted · Report post

I would say get the host to roll back to a previous days version before this happened. This process will literally reinstate the site as it was on x day (the host saves your entire site at specific points, usually daily, weekly etc) rather than downgrading the product and reinstalling the db from a backup etc. If anything was lost or caused due to an error in the export/backup then rolling back will get this back.

Posted · Report post

I agree with James 

Posted · Report post

I've run a server rewind several times on this and it is not working - I've rolled back to three separate (and earlier) dates. It's very upsetting - I'll have to completely start the site over.

I'm most upset about losing my custom CSS - which I thought was being backed up with Backup Buddy. Could anyone tell me where to look in the directory to see if I can recover it in one of the backup files? Thank you.

Posted · Report post

I have no idea how backup buddy works or what its file structure is, but the custom css is stored in the database, so thats where you should be looking.

Posted · Report post

In semi-conclusion, this is an unsolved mystery - I still have no clue what happened and why the update was so catastrophic.

I reclaimed my custom CSS from the .sql file backup.

This will make me trigger shy about updating in the future, for sure.