DMS 2 Featured Image Below Post Title

Question

Posted · Report post

I am trying to get the featured image that shows in posts to display above rather than below the post title.  I have looked into other forum posts, but can't see, to find anything that clearly states how to do this. Is there a quickfix for this?  Also, I would like to center the image rather than it being left justified. Thanks in advance for your help!

14 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Het @sethoof 

could we have a link to your blog so we can see how this is setup please? :) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

REMOVED Please dont add passwords to a PUBLIC forum 

please delete the login info after you take a look.

thanks!

s

Edited by Simon_P
password added to mod info

Posted · Report post

All we need is a link to your site.

Posted · Report post

I sent a link, but its on a flywheel, so you need a password to view it don't you? 

http://opfistula-copy.flywheelsites.com/m4m_nu/elise-ammondson/

I am not sure why you need to see anything on my site to answer my question.  Its a general question about how DMS2 loads posts.  Is it possible to easily move the featured image or format it. The default is to put it under the title, justified left and I would rather have it centered over the post title.  Is that easily possible?

Posted · Report post

sethoof. You will need to edit the php and for that you will need a child theme

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

A child theme?  I am not sure how to do that.  Can you point me in the direction of a tutorial?  Also, I really hope this doesn't affect my site. I have had to spend a lot of time fixing things in the transfer from DMS to DMS2...

Posted · Report post

Is there anyway I can use the customize plugin to make the pho changes instead of doing a child theme?

Posted · Report post

You can use the customize plugin if you're using a hook/filter to make the changes, bear in mind though that anything you change in the functions.php can bring the site down if not done correctly. So you'll need to make sure your code is correct. Back up and make sure you have a copy of your custom css, pagelines settings etc.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I am not a good enough coder to not mess it up.  Is child theme safer? I am just worried about doing anything that would screw up  all the work I have put in reloading all the slider images and iboxes after moving to DMS2. 

Posted · Report post

If you're creating websites, the best course of action is to use a child theme, even if you're making simple changes I would use a child theme.

If you use a child theme, such as the one I created here - https://github.com/Dannyholt/Skeleton

You can create a sections directory in your child theme and then add the PostLoop section to that sections folder, you will be able to override/make changes without editing any of the core files. This is why using a child theme is safest way to create your website when using DMS.

Posted · Report post

Wow, not my day today...I know nothing about child themes, but figured I could download some of the theme files from DMS2.  I went to the appearances section of wordpress and clicked on the customize buttom on dms and poof - it opened up a new page with lots of pagelines stuff. That scared me so I went back and then loaded one of my pages.  Logo in the header gone.  Footer completely gone. All the fonts are different the page is wider my favicon is gone and all of my custom functions are gone as well. 

I have a few other tabs opened, so I can get the custom functions back.  I like some of the changes, so I will probably leave them.  I will still need the better part of an hour to make all the adjustments back to where I was when i pushed the stupid customize button.  The big thing is that ll my rev sliders that got wiped out in the transfer to DMS2 still seem to be intact.  

But this is what makes me so nervous. I don't really know what im doing and I expect when something will completely nuke my design, I will be warned or something...

So can you point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to do the child theme deal. I have seen it mentioned on the forums, but have no idea how to do it. 

Cheers,

seth

Posted · Report post

Yeah do not use the Customize panel in WordPress. The reason is, WordPress doesn't natively support LESS CSS which we use for all our styling which then compile to CSS. So due to this, the Customize panel can not give you an accurate representation of your website. Therefore, don't use that.

To use a child theme is super simple, you just install my child theme like you would any other WordPress theme. A child theme inherits the functionality/styling etc.. of the parent theme, in our case DMS. Once installed, you can begin to do a number of things, such as creating a less directory or a sections directory in the child theme itself.

Once these folders are created you can add any sections folder into the sections folder, by doing this you create a child of that sections. For example, if you copy the Masthead sections folder from the DMS folder to your child themes folder, you can override/customize the section to how you like, without touching the core code or files.

See the readme on my Skeleton theme - https://github.com/Dannyholt/Skeleton

You can also find more information on our docs - http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/base-child-theme

Posted · Report post

Ok, I will take a look at these links.  But one quick question before I start.  You recommended flywheel, which I love.  But I dont how to look into the directories like I did with my old host.  Once I adapt your skeleton and upload it through wordpress, I suppose I can edit it through wordpress like I would any other theme.  Is that correct?  Thanks for your help, Danny! 

Posted · Report post

Flywheel as far as I know, allow you to connect to your site via FTP, you will need to contact them to make sure.

I wouldn't recommend using the built-in editor for files in WordPress the reason for this is, if you make some changes especially PHP changes and it all goes wrong, your site will either have a white screen or a PHP error printed. When this occurs, you will not be able to access your WordPress site or admin dashboard.

That is why I would go with the FTP route and edit the files via a code editor, which you can usually assign via your FTP client. When you use this method, if you do indeed cause a PHP error, you can simply use the undo feature in the Code editor (such as Sublime Text) and then save the file again, if you then refresh your site again, the error will be undone and you can then go through the code you used that caused the error and fix it.

I use three code editor:

https://atom.io/

http://www.sublimetext.com/

http://blog.macromates.com/2012/textmate-2-at-github/